JULIA BELLE SWAIN's Calliope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob,

Did you ever think this thread would elicit this many responses?

~Travis~

Comment

I remember an old building on Race Street near Garfield Place in Cincinnati during the 1970s-1980s known as A.E. Wilde & Co. that had some steam whistles on display. I used to stop by there occasionally to look at them. Would this have been Ernest Wilde's business?

Originally posted by Travis Vasconcelos View Post
      Bob,

Capt. Gabe's calliope is the original Thomas J. Nichol from the IDLEWILD/AVALON. I don't know of him having a Wilde-built instrument. If memory serves me correctly, he bought it from Ernest Wilde. But, don't quote me on that one.

~Travis~

Comment

If there was a way to apply a large flow of compressed air through a 1.5" or larger line at the same regulated pressure as the steam to the manifold during tuning, it would be easier for tuning purposes, as the pitches would remain relatively stable during the entire tuning process. You would just tune the whistles about 3 semitones lower than normal to compensate for the difference in the speed of sound in air (1130 feet/second) vs the speed of sound in steam (1330 feet/second). When putting it back on steam, everything would fall into place.

Originally posted by Alan Bates View Post
        The Belle of Louisville's calliope during the 1970's had whistles with tuning discs inside the bell. They were threaded to fit the stem. To tune a whistle one had to remove the bell, loosen a lock nut, try to guestimate how many turns to try, tighten the locknut and reassemble the bell on the stem, then test for pitch. It did not work, for as the whistles warmed up the pitch changed

Comment

Judy...your pictures are much, much better than mine, so I won't bother to resend the picture I had......uhm, these computers can be uppity at times.

Comment

Nah, I'd like to see it anyway - do you use Picasa to send pix? Franz walked me through it, so if I can do it, anyone can.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Vasconcelos View Post
              By the way, there is only one of thise Wilde calliopes still out there and it is on the ALASKA QUEEN up in Ketchican, AK. At least they say they installed the calliope they got from Mrs. Wilmunder when they bought the boat. And it was the last Wilde in captivity to my knowledge.
              ~Travis~
              The ALASKA QUEEN has yet to roll her wheel or toot her calliope up in Ketchikan. The company claims there are still some governmental permits that they haven't received yet, and right now she's sitting up in Alaska not earning her keep. I hope they get things taken care of soon because there are only about sixty days left to the Alaska vacation season, and next month I'll be spending one of those in Ketchikan wanting to ride her.

Comment

That's probably the reason for my confusion. Thanks, Travis

Comment

My Memorie of Hal's calliope is that it is/was very large. Also, I understand that the engines are a bit small for the boat, he was going to put in larger ones? Next time I run into Les I will try to remember to ask him about this.
                  I sure hope she gets to run again! That's a long ways to go to just sit.
                  S'
                  David D.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X