Way Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way Photographs

I know that I've asked this before, but I've lost the reply and can't find it using the search function. Where/who do I write to find out about getting copies of Capt. Way's photographs and or notes for a specific steamer?

the notes will be in his books, Packet Directory and Towboat Directory. His son-in-law Woody Rutter would have some of his pictures, as would many of us on the river system. Ralph DuPae probably got them copied for the Murphy Library at the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse, which would be your best bet. If you post particular boats, some of us might have the pix/info. Capt. Fred was very generous with his collections, and a real inspiration for young people getting interested in steamboats.

Comment

Fred Way gave his photo collection to the Inland Rivers Library of the Cincinnati Public Library. They do make copies and allow them to be used commercially for a fee.

Comment

Captain

Write to The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Rare Book Room, 800 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45201,and Paul Beck at The University of Wisconsin - LaCrosse, Murphy Library, LaCrosse, WI 54601. The Murphy Library sells them at reasonable prices. The Cincinnati Library will sell them at exorbitant prices. They run about ten bucks at UofW and about fifty bucks at the Cincinnati Library, per print. It is much better and more economical to buy back issues of the S&D Reflector. See the Sons & Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen on the web for more information.
        Last edited by Alan Bates; 07-26-2006, 02:40 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

Thank you all. I knew that Capt. Bates would have the details. The boats I am interested in are BLOOMER, No 0642 & BLOOMER, No. 0643.

Comment

I remember a discussion here about the 3x5 cards that Capt. Way recorded his information on while he was collecting it. Seems to me that there was even a copy of one posted here once. That would be the notes I am looking for- the original, unedited, uncondensed data on the two BLOOMERs.

Comment

I have drawn a blank with both the UW Murphy Library and the Cincinnati Library. Both say that they do not have either Capt. Way's original notes or photograhs of the boats I am searching for. Can someone with an index of the Reflector check and see if either of the BLOOMERs are listed? Does anyone know where I might look for the sources of the information that Capt. Way included in his Packet Directory for these boats?

Comment

Nothing Bloomer in any of the Reflector indices. Since the libraries claim they don't have the originals, I'll repeat my first suggestion: contact Capt. Way's son-in-law, Woody Rutter. Since he helped him edit the new editions I'd think it very possible he has the originals, if they're really not in the libraries. If you need Woody's address, email me.

Comment

Judy, your email addess is blocked. Mine is not, if you would be so kind as to send the address. Thanks again.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X