X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    U.S. General Allen

Kieth: Or anyone else, I have a question regarding the above steamboat. I am trying to date photgraphs of the General Allen, I know she was built with one large river search lite mounted on the center top deck. All the pictures I have during my fathers tenure on this boat 1922-29 show that single search light, the large picture I received from Kieth showing the boat at Minneapolis on June 6th 1937 shows TWO large search lights now in place, one on the right & one on the left top deck. My question is does anyone know approximately when they added the second light????
    Thank You
    Ronald Lietha

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    NatGeo August 1939

Got the magazine, many thanks Keith.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    General Allen

Thanks Keith, I appreciate & will tryto locate aissue.

Leave a comment:

• mel hartsough
    replied
    I remember the only time I worked with Walt Karnath. I say worked with but actually he was on the other watch. He got on in Prarie Dog one time when I was mate on the DQ and I had the honor of Hot Sheeting with him for a couple days as the boat was full and the other 2 pilots were both still aboard. Either Bob or Chris "chug" Osborne was the other mate.

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    replied
    Ronald: The August, 1939 issue of National Geographic contains a fine color photo of the boat departing the lock at Dubuque with a tow. The picture is part of a feature story on Iowa.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    The dredge "visuevius

Now also looking for any information on the above. My information so far was that she was a government boat & a electic dredge that was used for building the long dike adjacent to the wisconsin-minnesota lock & dam #5 probably in the 1932-35 time era. The dike was pumped out by this dredge on the wisconsin side of the river, sorry, the dredges name was the "visuevius".
    Thanks for any help

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    The dredge "visuevius

Now also looking for any information on the above. My information so far was that she was a government boat & a electic dredge that was used for building the long dike adjacent to the wisconsin-minnesota lock & dam #5 probably in the 1932-35 time era. The dike was pumped out by this dredge on the wisconsin side of the river
    thanks for any help

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    Thanks VERY much David

David: Thanks again for the story & the contact information, rest assured I will follow it up eagerly.
    Ronald

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    Captain Karnath

Thanks Judy, thought so & resided in Winona Mn after retirement, I am told.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Yes, Capt. Karnath was from Fountain City.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    General Allen Pilot House Wheel

David: I did not mean that reproduction wheel in the pilot house display at Dubuque, but rather a much larger, original wheel that used to be on display there but is now located in the back of the "Wood Shop". They have no idea where it came from but are checking for history & a # on the wheel which will identify it, perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    General Allen Research

David: Thanks much, I can be reached at: buff10@charter.net. Incidently I grew up 20 miles north of Winona on the Wisconsin side of the river, in a small river town named Buffalo City & just 9 miles north of the Fountain City U.S. Corps Of Engineers boatyard. I worked in Winona for many years & was just there last week!!!, small world. I am sure my father probably was hired aboard the General Allen in 1922 at the Ft City location??. I have started a extensive photo alblum photo history of the General Allen & hope to find out everything & anything pertaining to the boat & its remaining history, much I have already & thanks to my father, who took a lot of pictures of the boat while he was aboard as a crew member. How fortunate we are to be in this computer age where all this information can be made available from so many different people who one otherwise could never reach.

Leave a comment:

• David Tschiggfrie
    replied
    Just happened to see this thread, and will add the few things I know for any help it may be. Capt. Walter Karnath's dad was Rudolph "Red" Karnath. If you will contact me via e-mail, I can give you Butch Karnath's address and phone number in Winona. Perhaps he can supply some of the information you are looking for. The pilot wheel that is inside the pilot house replica at the Dubuque Museum came from the steamer AQUILA, I believe, and not from the GENERAL ALLEN. I will also check my files for a document that Butch gave me years ago detailing some of the history of the GENERAL ALLEN. If I find it, I can e-mail a copy to you. Good luck in your research!

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Lietha
    replied
    General Allen Eagle

Shipyard Sam: Thanks for some more information, where was the Karnath home located?, & is someone still alive that could tell me how the Eagle came into his possession. Was Capt Karnath originally from Ft City, Wisconsin??. I believe that Capt Bill Henning was the Capt on the G.A. while my father was a crew member. Father was aboard from 1922-29 or 30. When did Capt Henning go off & Capt Karnath come on as Capt??, anyone know this, also does anyone know the history of Capt Stanley B. Knoll, who donated the whistle off the G.A. to the LaCrosse Riverfront museum & of course thru Ralph Dupae?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Shipyard Sam
    replied
    Backyard Bird

Captain Walt Karnath was quite proud of that eagle, that, at one time had been on display atop its original staff from the GENERAL ALLEN, in the backyard of the Karnath's home. A picture Cap'n K. gave me of the eagle standing astride a gilded globe and mounted atop the staff, or flag pole, slumbers somewhere in my great big collection of steamboat stuff. (Thank you JH)

Captain Karnath's father, Captain W., Sr. had been Master of the ALLEN, and the GA Eagle was passed from father to son, if I recollect correctly from the many tellings of the tale, but, its been a l-o-n-g time.

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X