No announcement yet.

Steamboat: Minnesota-General Allen-Cotton Blossom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or he'd find another reason to swing that cane around menacingly! What a wonderful character. He was on watch the first time I was in the DQ pilothouse. He asked if I had any questions, and before I could ask any, he said: "Well I'll tell you some answers anyway." He and Rip Ware were responsible for my interest in the navigation end of things and were always so approachable, with even the dumbest question. Capt. Bill Foley was another great one who shared his wealth of knowledge with me over the years. These men, unlike some of their contemporaries, trained many a pilot and taught us non-licensed alike, without any concern that someone would take their job. They were happy to give... For those who may not be familiar with the MINNESOTA/ALLEN, here's a picture of her as the MINNESOTA.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Judy Patsch; 05-22-2007, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Wonder of wonders! I dug into my filing cabinets last night and actually FOUND what I was looking for! Here are some old snapshots that show the MINNESOTA / GENERAL ALLEN in her last years as a restaurant boat. The first picture shows her as the REBEL QUEEN at Cape Girardeau in the late 1960's. The picture was taken by Capt. Jim Blum from the DELTA QUEEN. The second view was taken by yours truly in 1972 at St. Louis. View number three was taken at St. Louis by river historian/curator Ruth Ferris on July 4, 1974, which was the centennial celebration of the opening of the Eads Bridge.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Keith Norrington; 05-23-2007, 08:36 AM.

Comment

And here's one of the boat named RIVER QUEEN, that I snapped on May 10, 1975 at St. Louis. The sign atop the pseudo pilothouse reads OPERA HOUSE and another sign on the roof advertises VAUDEVILLE. Get a load of that absolutely awful paddlewheel! Ronald, I have a 1937 full page newspaper picture of the GENERAL ALLEN (and some other things) I'd like to send you, but it is too large to scan. If you will e-mail me your mailing address, I will be happy to send it to you if you wish.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Keith Norrington; 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Pictures

Thanks again Keith, Super pictures, but sad, glad my father is not alive to see them!!!!!!!. Yes, you were right, the pilot house has certainly been removed. My e-mail location for you to send the picture is buff10@charter.net
          Thank You for all your & everyones help on this search.

Comment

Captain

Just posed this question to Mr Norrington via a private e-mail, but will post it here also. I faintly remember my father mentioning a Capt Bill Henning, is it possible he could have been the Capt on the General Allen at any time during the 1922-29-30 time period????
            Thanks

Comment

General Allen Questions

Hi: I am back to researching more on the G.A. Went to the Dubuque riverfront Museum & viewed the "Eagle", & perhaps the G.A. Pilot house wheel?, does anyone have knowledge of that??. Also what about the "Bell" that was one the G.A., was it saved???. How did Capt Karnath come into possession of the "Eagle" & how did Captain Stanley B Knoll come into possession of the G.A. "Whistle", which now resides at the LaCrosse Riverfront Museum. I would assume at the time, (1943), of the sale of the G.A. by the U.S. Government, St Paul District that the boat was decommisioned at FtCity, Wisc boatyards & these items were removed at that time?????, fact or fiction & who can answer these questions??? Judy or anyone jump in please.
              Thanks
              Ronald

Comment

Backyard Bird

Captain Walt Karnath was quite proud of that eagle, that, at one time had been on display atop its original staff from the GENERAL ALLEN, in the backyard of the Karnath's home. A picture Cap'n K. gave me of the eagle standing astride a gilded globe and mounted atop the staff, or flag pole, slumbers somewhere in my great big collection of steamboat stuff. (Thank you JH)

Captain Karnath's father, Captain W., Sr. had been Master of the ALLEN, and the GA Eagle was passed from father to son, if I recollect correctly from the many tellings of the tale, but, its been a l-o-n-g time.

Comment

General Allen Eagle

Shipyard Sam: Thanks for some more information, where was the Karnath home located?, & is someone still alive that could tell me how the Eagle came into his possession. Was Capt Karnath originally from Ft City, Wisconsin??. I believe that Capt Bill Henning was the Capt on the G.A. while my father was a crew member. Father was aboard from 1922-29 or 30. When did Capt Henning go off & Capt Karnath come on as Capt??, anyone know this, also does anyone know the history of Capt Stanley B. Knoll, who donated the whistle off the G.A. to the LaCrosse Riverfront museum & of course thru Ralph Dupae?
                  Thanks

Comment

Just happened to see this thread, and will add the few things I know for any help it may be. Capt. Walter Karnath's dad was Rudolph "Red" Karnath. If you will contact me via e-mail, I can give you Butch Karnath's address and phone number in Winona. Perhaps he can supply some of the information you are looking for. The pilot wheel that is inside the pilot house replica at the Dubuque Museum came from the steamer AQUILA, I believe, and not from the GENERAL ALLEN. I will also check my files for a document that Butch gave me years ago detailing some of the history of the GENERAL ALLEN. If I find it, I can e-mail a copy to you. Good luck in your research!

Comment

General Allen Research

David: Thanks much, I can be reached at: buff10@charter.net. Incidently I grew up 20 miles north of Winona on the Wisconsin side of the river, in a small river town named Buffalo City & just 9 miles north of the Fountain City U.S. Corps Of Engineers boatyard. I worked in Winona for many years & was just there last week!!!, small world. I am sure my father probably was hired aboard the General Allen in 1922 at the Ft City location??. I have started a extensive photo alblum photo history of the General Allen & hope to find out everything & anything pertaining to the boat & its remaining history, much I have already & thanks to my father, who took a lot of pictures of the boat while he was aboard as a crew member. How fortunate we are to be in this computer age where all this information can be made available from so many different people who one otherwise could never reach.

Comment

General Allen Pilot House Wheel

David: I did not mean that reproduction wheel in the pilot house display at Dubuque, but rather a much larger, original wheel that used to be on display there but is now located in the back of the "Wood Shop". They have no idea where it came from but are checking for history & a # on the wheel which will identify it, perhaps.

Comment

Yes, Capt. Karnath was from Fountain City.

Comment

Captain Karnath

Thanks Judy, thought so & resided in Winona Mn after retirement, I am told.

Comment

Thanks VERY much David

David: Thanks again for the story & the contact information, rest assured I will follow it up eagerly.
                              Ronald

Comment

The dredge "visuevius

Now also looking for any information on the above. My information so far was that she was a government boat & a electic dredge that was used for building the long dike adjacent to the wisconsin-minnesota lock & dam #5 probably in the 1932-35 time era. The dike was pumped out by this dredge on the wisconsin side of the river
                                thanks for any help

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                                Working...
                                X