Sad photos of the D.Q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad photos of the D.Q.

For Facebook users, these were posted today of the Queen's deteriorating condition. https://www.facebook.com/groups/7072...9185557795690/

Those pictures of the boat are rather sad. However, that is mostly cosmetic. Investors are ready to put money into the boat once the exemption is passed. The pictures you see are of things easily repaired once the boat gets to the shipyard. The hull and engines are in good shape. She needs new boilers. What the pictures show is several years of not being cleaned and painted on an on-going basis, plus some minor damage, easily repaired. CALL YOUR CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATIVES and get the exemption passed!

Comment

*DQ photos at Houma*
      Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
      Alan, thanks for the link below to the DELTA QUEEN photos. Honestly, I would opine these photos are older than we think. Don Sanders [Shipyard Sam] correct that most of what you see is "superficial." Yet it does give the viewer a moment of pause. Big thing is that the boat is being cared for, any potential roof or deck leaks sealed, interior cleaned, ventilated. Phil Johnson spoke/showed us photos last spring with the DQ's exterior being power washed. Only brief comments RE: the DQ have been appearing to date.

We're running now down to the wire with any congressional exemption as you know with me taking off rose colored glasses, putting away wishes and wants. Yes, I've written, written, called, called again and again with replies of "Thank you for your words of concern...yada...yada...We note you have contacted us on this issue previously. Thank you. CLICK." What's that tell you? Washington, D.C; the U.S. Capitol; both houses and parties are in a flurry and flux, jockeying, hovering, sneaking around each other following the election and inaugural coming soon. One more time...again one MORE time on my part. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
      Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

Photos recent

Dale, the poster stated he took those pictures yesterday, which would have been Dec. 6, 2016. As is being said, that is cosmetic damage we see, and we know that. But it was posted on the Mississippi River photo page where most participants are not steamboat saavy and no matter how we couch it, she does look rough, especially to those who haven't been in on this saga. And let's face it, the heat and humidity of Houma Louisiana would make any of us look bedraggled, and there is no sense in painting, cleaning now while she is still in limbo.

Comment

Would you buy a house with that kind of "cosmetic" damage?
          Cosmetic rot is visible and comparably cheap to repair, but lets face it it's been years since the water pipes have had water pressure, it's been years since the sewage treatment plant has digested any human waste, it's been years since the A/C has cooled a stateroom, it's been years since the generators have supplied a full load, it's been years since the boiler feed water pump has pumped a gallons worth of water into a boiler under full pressure, etc.,etc., etc.
          No matter what, it's still a business. They have to face all those issues and still keep the costs down to where the boat can be competitive.

Comment

*Recent DQ photos*
            Judy,thanks for catching the date of the photos Dec. 6, 2016 as somehow I missed it. Ah, the rigors of post eye cataract surgery, not wearing reading glasses this morning. The photos Phil showed us last spring at the MOR meeting in Madison, IN. had guys using power washers getting all that dust from the nearby stone yard nearby or whatever off. I've never been down to Houma, Louisiana but hear about the heat, humidity etc. Even in the DQ's steaming days she looked 'tired' at the end of the season. The lay-up crew had her painted, spiffed up with lots of hard work by Mardi Gras--if weather here in Cincinnati cooperated. Capt. Bill Judd here told of being down in Houma seeing commercial companies power washing outside of towboats using Clorox or something to remove dirt and mold wearing suits, masks.

Incidentally, I know you heard/remember/saw when the DQ was here years ago with the wharfboat and they gave her a total coat of exterior white paint. They added just a touch of paint 'blue' that made her look even whiter like bluing in laundry soap. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
            Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

As Captain Reynolds pointed out. Have you called your Senator and Rep today? Or at all for that matter!?!?!! Who is going to pay attention if each and everyone of us do not call and let our love for her known? Yes, time is short. But Congress is still in session and will be for another week. History shows they manage to get a lot of stuff slammed through at the last minute. I'm still hoping the exemption is one of the things that gets done! So CALL, have your family call, have your neighbors call, have your co-workers call!!! Help SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN!!!

Comment

Yes, and since I'm in California, I contacted both Boxer and Feinstein, plus Steve Knight, my congressman. Spun it as the Queen may be out of California, but California will always be in her, and Cali politicians should step up and help preserve a bit of our state's legacy. Hey, it's worth a try, right?

Comment

Mr. Radecki, Thank you so much for your efforts. If all citizens that have read our pleas would have made the call I'm sure we would make a difference. We have to believe Congress will eventually do the right thing and pass the exemption. Too much politics as usual in Washington and not enough about doing what is right. Thank you again.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X