Photos on board the dq april 23, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos on board the dq april 23, 2015

The first time I've seen the DELTA QUEEN in 8 years. She is in Houma La., less than 90 minutes from New Orleans, in a slip very near the Intracostal Canal. You can see her as soon as you get on the Prospect Avenue Bridge (LA 3087).
    1) Capt. Doc Hawley is welcomed by Capt. Mike Williams, the Captain and caretaker and chief cheerleader of the DQ.
    2) The bow is high and nosed in against the muddy end of the slip. The stern is drawing 9 ft. and Capt. Mike mentioned this was to allow the rain water to run straight down from bow to stern without needing to be swept off. He doesn't miss a trick!
    3) Doc and Mike are looking at the wheel and stern. You can see the rest of the slip through which the JW HERRON expertly wove her through to her docking area.
    Attached Files

Group 2

1) looking forward from the starboard corner of the Cabin Deck.
    2) The muddy part of the wheel had been underwater fulltime in Chattanooga. They cut off several sections to reduce drag as she was towed. They are selling pieces of the wheel wood and I saw several piles of the soon-to-be souvenirs there. (and they are all still there - I already have a bucket board and key from the wheel circa 1978-80) The wheel will be totally rebuilt.
    3) looking forward midship on the starboard Texas Deck.
    Attached Files

Comment

Group 3

1) darn vertical shot posted sideways. I can't help but think of Pat Traynor and her band of determined supporters who got MAL to return that eagle to the pilothouse bulkhead.
      2) The white area is where Capt. Mike and his crew (of one) had just repaired a crack in the decking.
      3)the starboard gate on the Texas Deck is opened. Many a time we UMRers used these gates when lockhopping before Big Corporation and Liability took over. Someone on Facebook mentioned this looks like a replay of the VIRGINIA in a Cornfield, and you do see only land around you on both sides of the boat.
      Attached Files

Comment

Group 4

1) Most of the rotted wood is overhead. This is outside the Texas Lounge door.
        2) Looks ready for a sing a long to me!
        Attached Files

Comment

Group 5

1) PLEASE NOTE: This picture probably makes her look the worst. There is no denying there is damage from the cold winters and inability to repair as needed for almost 7 years, BUT look closely and you'll see in this pix that most of the mess is where Mike and friends have already done some sanding for a new paint job. It isn't damaged wood. This is taken from the stairs on the starboard side looking astern. I was going to say, the stairs by 314, but that was the old numbering system when I first rode in 1973. Actually, 314 was still the men's bathroom that year, and became a stateroom in 1974. But I digress....
          2) the calliope console
          3) Note that the whistles have all been removed and stored in a secure place off the boat, as have been done with the other brass gauges and instruments - no MQ at Perry St. shenanigans here. For the uninitiated, that white pole is to rest the stern flagpole on during high water when it needs to be folded down.
          Attached Files

Comment

Group 6

1) looking forward on the Sundeck port side. Notice how much better this side looks than the previous starboard shot.
            2) my favorite view when underway, the spray coming up and cooling you on a hot summer day....
            3) this is definitely the worst spot I saw, no denying this is damage. This is on the Sundeck starboard side near the Captain's stateroom.
            Attached Files

Comment

Group 7

1) All the pilothouse needs is a pilot..
              2) Looking astern from the starboard wing bridge, quickly!
              3) another darn vertical gone horizontal. And even when you look at it correctly, it slants. But it wasn't the boat listing, it was me out there on that wing bridge.
              Attached Files

Comment

Group 8

1) The ghost of Mary B. Greene has gone 21st century with her iPadmini2!
                2) Doc and Mike in the Forward Cabin Lounge. Looks fine, doesn't it?
                3) Tables and chairs stacked up on Cabin Deck bow.
                Attached Files

Comment

Group 9

1) Attention Toots: here's that souvenir you wanted for a bridge over your creek!
                  In order to transport the stage on the move from Chattanooga, they had to cut a section off to shorten it. But as Mike explained, this section had been added to the original stage length when the new hull was added, a fact even Doc didn't know.
                  2) The plan is to replace the entire heavy steel stage with an aluminum one, so no new red carpeting for this one.
                  3) This watchman is about as effective as those on the MQ when she was at Perry St.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Group 10

1)The DELTA QUEEN is departing at.... wouldn't that be great???
                    2) Note how the monkey rudders were turned so that the barge could face up for the trip.
                    3) Looking forward toward the bow... and toward the future!
                    Attached Files

Comment

And the Grand Finale

Capt. Clarke C. Doc Hawley and Capt. Mike Williams, DQ Masters past and present, pose by the QUEEN CITY roof bell.

I hope you get an idea of the condition of the DQ and of her location in Houma LA. from these pictures and commentary. I was concerned how I would react seeing her and walking her decks for the first time in 8 years, and while I certainly yearn for 'the good old days', listening to Capt. Mike and seeing the great interior conditions gave me reason to believe the old gal has some good new days ahead. LONG LIVE THE DELTA QUEEN!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Once again, I thank you for all the pictures, Judy. While she looks rough in spots, it seems that much has already been scraped, primed and ready for that fresh coat of white. The interior looks great considering the long layup in Chattanooga. Gives me great hope for the future.
                        And by the way, I'm one of those silent lurkers who reads every post and looks forward to your reports from the levee.

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks Ginnie. I have always loved sharing my pictures of whatever - I figure if I'm fortunate enough to have those experiences, I like to share them. As I'm explaining as I'm filling in these captions, yes she does look rugged, and she is, in many places. But much of that , especially the Sun Deck starboard shot, is the scraping and patching that Mike and his crew have already done. The inside public areas look amazingly great. It is the outer decks which have suffered the damage. I'm taking quite a while to get this done, as I'm nodding off as I type, having had a horrible time flying home yesterday, and also having the help of two large cats on my lap as I type.

Comment

Thanks, Judy!

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
                            The first time I've seen the DELTA QUEEN in 8 years.

Judy,

Thanks so much for posting these!

Jim Alexander

Comment

Photos on Board the DQ April 23 2015

Hi Judy, I too enjoyed the photos an I also read an enjoy all of your posts past present and will in the future, I have no doubt and have assumed this from the very first time I was informed of the Delta Queens situation which goes back awhile that this iconic 88 year old beautiful steamboat will once again be back on the rivers in all her glory and wish to applaud all those involved with her making this come true. Now to end with my favorite quote for her FULL STEAM AHEAD Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Florida

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X