Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Look at the last picture I posted from our visit. The bell, which predates the DQs 88 years, is now quite shiny. There is also a pix of the eagle in my postings.

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    I'm with Bob and Judy on this one. The simple mahogany nameboard was indeed quite nice, but I never hated the eagle. The eagle has its roots as the stern quarterboard on sailing ships. Today visitors at Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut can see original quarterboards from the great days of American sailing ships.

During the DQ's tenure in Chattanooga Barb H., Gayle H., Carol R., Pat C. and JoAnn S. did yeoman's duty keeping the eagle shining brightly.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Johnson
    replied
    Judy, sorry its taken so long. They will be on the DQSC fb page soon. Things got a bit hectic this week....had a horse race in town.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Photos posted

I posted them on the Save the DQ Facebook page. Phillip said he was going to put them on the official page. I can send them to .com too if you'd like.

Leave a comment:

• Nori Muster
    replied
    Judy's photos

Judy - I'm glad t hear your report. A good place to post the photos would be on the Delta Queen page: https://www.facebook.com/DeltaQueenSteamboat
    or send them to me and I'll post them on Steamboats.com.
    -Nori

Leave a comment:

• carole matthews
    replied
    Aboard The Queen

Dave Thomson Collection on line has nice picture of the Eagle. check it out.My personal opinion is that it still looks impressive just needs a little facelift job. Carole M Pompano Beach Fla Also a good photo of the bell which looks like it needs a shine.She still looks pretty good for 88 years old.A side note about the Great Steamboat Race held last week. They said if she was there she would have won it for sure.as she has 20 times before.One great steamboat.

Leave a comment:

• David Dewey
    replied
    Count me in too--the nameboard was, IMHO, much "classier" than the huge eagle--but the big MAL metal sign plastered up there was wrong on so many levels!!
    But then, of course, I'm out here in Califunny where the nameboard was what she wore. She also had a cover over her wheel then too, but we won't go there!
    BTW, I keep running into people out here who think she should be returned here, and I have to patiently explain to them that she's been "back east" far longer than she was here, that's where the majority of her history is; she now belongs to the world, and besides, there aren't enough places to run her out here to keep her going.
    Long Live the Delta Queen!!

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Nameboard plus eagle

No, you're not the only one Bob. So do I. I like big mahogany nameboards, as the NATCHEZ has 3.... but I think our preference is probably a function of our time on the boat, when things were simpler. I will say that right now that big eagle does give the old girl a shine while she awaits her new makeup... and I do love how MAL was shamed into returning it - one for the little guys, zero for corporate!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Reynolds
    replied
    I may be the only one, but I prefer the mahogany nameboard with a smaller eagle below it on the front of the pilothouse. I just think that big eagle with the banner is a bit much.

BTW, the golden antlers used to be mounted above the front window on the pilothouse on a special stand there. way up high.

Leave a comment:

• David Dewey
    replied
    Back in '07, on MAL's (boy there's an appropriate abbreviation!) first DQ trip, I believe almost every comment card had the notation to "Bring Back the Eagle" so a lot of us sorta had a hand in it!
    We also managed to get them to put on the picnic that trip--something MAL thought was "beneath them" too folksy!
    Boy, they never did really catch onto what Steamboatin' is about.
    I treasure those trip we took on the DQ. The "Final Cruise" was a real experience that I still think of often & miss all our steamboatin' friends.
    Carol, thanks for the compliment. Sad to say, I still have HOURS of video to unload from the camera tapes. Might be some real treasures in there.
    S'
    David D.

Leave a comment:

• Ginnie Rhynders
    replied
    It was indeed re-installed at Alton. We thought we spotted it coming aboard and after walking onshore for a bit came back to the wondrous sight. Since I don't have access to my pix of that trip, I can't remember exactly who was on, but I think JoAnn and Barb were there. I do know that John and Carol Mullen were on board visiting.
    You're right, tenacity, strong pressure and intelligent arguments are what we all have to exert in this battle.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    The return of the Eagle

So Ginnie, who all was involved in that? I figure the usual suspects: Pat, Jo Ann, Barb... but who else? And wasn't it put on in Alton? We need the same tenacity which wilted that company to rise up again for the exemption battle!

Leave a comment:

• Ginnie Rhynders
    replied
    Judy, we were on board when they returned the eagle to his proper place. What a celebration!! Combination of Superbowl victory, winning the World Series and world peace!!
    We DQ fans are easily pleased.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Aboard the DQ

Just trying to get back to the original thread idea...aboard the DQ now directly below the pilothouse is the large eagle and ribbon which was taken off by MAL and returned after many protests. While I didn't walk right to it, it appeared to be in good shape from my vantage point down on the Texas bow. In my years, the 70s and 80s, the antlers from the race were displayed where that eagle now flies. As I mentioned previously, the brass gauges and other accoutrements of value/interest were removed prior to the trip to Houma. That eagle is the one exception and it certainly does brighten the old girl's appearance even as she waits patiently for her rebirth.

Leave a comment:

• carole matthews
    replied
    Aboard The Queen

David Great picture and thanks for the information.Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X