Aboard the QUEEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aboard the QUEEN

Doc and I drove over to Houma today to visit the DELTA QUEEN and Capt. Mike Williams. She is not hard to find, quite obvious as you come over the Prospect Ave. Bridge (LA 3087). She has quite a bit of land separating her from the businesses in the area and is far enough from town that I was relieved of thinking of local kids coming to do whatever to her (adults too I suppose). She is not in the pristine shining white we are used to, but when you see pictures, be aware that there is rotting wood and fading paint, but that there is also evidence of scraping and patching which has already been done by the small crew. So not all of the blotches are 'damage'. While her exterior shows the results of winter weather and no 'makeup' jobs for several years, her interior public rooms are in amazingly good shape. The only damage visible was a small area under the Texas Bar in the Forward Cabin Lounge, a result of leaking from the bar. The few staterooms that were open looked fine too. There is no way to deny there is a LOT of work to be done, but she couldn't have a more caring and positive person in charge than Capt. Mike Williams. If every Congressman could talk with him, that exemption would be on the books pronto. I never set foot on the DQ while she was in Chattanooga, afraid I'd be spooked out by being on a 'dead' boat. And while she is in worse shape now, I didn't have the feeling I was on a dead boat - not while listening to Capt. Mike as we roamed the boat. I took many pictures and several short videos, which I have posted on the Save the DQ Facebook page. I will post a few on here tonight while still in NOLA, and will try to get more posted once I get home this weekend. Then again, judging by the underwhelming response to my Live on the Levee postings, maybe it isn't worth the bother. Is there anybody out there still reading .org??????

No luck in posting pix

I can't get even one pix to post. I'll try when I get back to the frozen north. In the meantime, check out the Save the Delta Queen Facebook page, where I was able to post pix and videos easily.

Comment

Judy,
      Thanks for the reports, they are much appreciated. Some of us cannot get to Facebook (dial up & Facebook are NOT compatible) so will be awaiting photos posted here!
      Yes, I read your "Live from the Levee" but didn't have anything to add or ask, so didn't post, but thank you for that news too!
      S'
      David D.

Comment

Judy,

While the new DQSC facebook page is public and can be viewed even by people who are not on facebook the Save the Delta Queen facebook page is a closed group page. So you have to be a member of this group to see the photos (and for being a member you have to be on facebook).

But: Great photos!! Thanks for sharing!!

Carmen

Comment

Thanks Judy for everything you post!!
          Some of us are here happily reading but don't like to write. I always enjoy your Live on the Levee postings, and today I'm so happy to read about your visit to the Delta Queen!! I do hope you can get pictures posted here.

Comment

I read it, I read it. Since I don't get to Nola on a regular basis anymore your posts and Capt. Bob's are the only news I get from Nola. You do have a faithful following.

Comment

*Faithful following/I agree*
              Morning, Steamboating colleagues,
              I also agree with Capt. Bill Judd above. Judy, you "Live from the Levee" with photos on this n' that always welcome here on my computer screen. I fact, you the only one who gives updates on the Str. NATCHEZ. We also used to have regular reports from the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE but of late....well?

FACEBOOK has drawn away a great number of former 'posters' here or even those who 'lurk.' I am not on FACEBOOK myself. Franz still provides a great forum here and we shouldn't let it languish. I also look forward to Jim Reising's postings and great old steamboat photos or photos of personalities from long ago.

R. Dale Flick
              Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks, its good to know some are reading. I don't expect responses, but I can see the number of views of a thread, and it is usually minimal, and some people who generally DO respond, aren't, which makes me wonder...
                As to Facebook: I am not a fan of it, and I generally lurk and am under the alias Patti Ence. But the sad fact is it is very easy to post pictures AND videos on there, unlike on .org, at least for a non-techie like me. Phillip Johnson is going to repost my pix onto the official DQ company page, which as Carmen points out, is available to non-Facebook users. But Phillip, unlike me, has a job and a family to attend to, so the pix will be posted when he has the time. Sorry DD, but can't help on the dialup, been there done that though.
                I am flying back home tonight and according to the forecast, I'll have PLENTY of indoor time this weekend to work on getting pix transferred from camera and iPad to this computer and then to .org.
                Now, on to packing, storing the bike and golf clubs, and then one more trip on the steamer NATCHEZ before heading to the airport!

Comment

Belle of Louisville

Dale Regard to your post at 9 09 AM about Belle of Louisville an not posting. Linda Harris the former CEO retired Jam of 2015. Her position was filled by Captain John Boyle.Maybe he is not aware of this. I shall contact him.I had spoken to Linda Harris on many occasions an she was always involved in everything.Will get ahold of Captain Boyle right now. Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fl. Franz does run a great site.I always make it a part of my day an glad to have found it.

Comment

Belle of Louisville Great Steamboat Race April 29

Great Steamboat Race celebrating Derby Festival Week 4 thirty to 8 pm April 29 Race between Belle of Louisville an Belle of Cincinnati. Belle of Louisville won last year. All information on Belle of Louisville Website. Tickets Directions etc. They said it is a time honored river boat tradition. check it out. Carole from Pompano Beach Fla

Comment

Folks here, and elsewhere helpfully tell me you don't have to belong to Facebook to see postings---sorry folks, it has nothing to do with being a member (I am, BTW); it has to do with Facebook and dial-up not being compatible. Facebook puts way too much graphics on their sites, and all it does on dial-up is crash. I get wonderful emails that "so-and-so has updated their status" and this morning it was a friend who's spouse is dying, so I wanted to read what she posted--after a half-hour of trying, I give up!!
                      BTW, it's not just facebook, it's most photo posting sites too. If there was ANY reasonably affordable way for me to get off dial-up, I would. The only option here is satellite, and my neighbors tell me it doesn't work in rain (like we have rain in California anymore/?--actually, it rained last night!) and it's about $60 a month here, plus equipment. I just read where America has the most expensive internet service in the developed world!
                      Hmm, believable to me, as where I live there is no cell service, no cable service, and my dial-up is at 33K--and less when it rains, as the wires out here are bad.
                      Sorry for the rant, but everyone keeps telling me, "You don't have to belong" and that's not the issue, Dial-up is the issue!
                      Folks, please keep posting here; this site works!!

Comment

Judy, It's Worth It!

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
                        judging by the underwhelming response to my Live on the Levee postings, maybe it isn't worth the bother. Is there anybody out there still reading .org??????

Judy,

Thanks very much for your description of what you saw on the DQ, and for any pictures you can post here.

Jim Alexander

Comment

another hurdle

I loaded the pix to my older laptop,but I have to login to .org on that one, and I can't get on, something as simple as how I type my name I guess. I'll try again later after I get some sleep - got in at midnight but my suitcase didn't, so I've just come back from the airport with it in tow.... vacations!!!!

Comment

Judy, I can promise you that there are people reading this post and the other posts out in the middle of the great North Atlantic Ocean right now. Well, maybe not in the middle of Cunard's Pond yet, after all the QUEEN VICTORIA just left New York yesterday!

Comment

Keep posting here as I love to see and read here. The ones who post here are knowledgeable and as with Facebook Save the Delta Queen page, there are too many strange people who say anything and everything. This is why I left the group. Judy I enjoy your Live from the Levee reports as I love the old town and they take me there. You can smell the food and steam. So never stop posting and let's keep this site alive, even if Facebook is easier.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X