No announcement yet.

Aboard the QUEEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the continued posts and great pictures.
    She's in the best hands she could be in for the long recovery to full steam. We have all followed her on this sight through the years while always longing to be there. This is the start of bringing her back to life and longevity as it should be. We all just hope that those that control her fate can truly realize what she is worth to American history, those that have passed through her doors for so many years, and those yearning the experience in the future. Sincere thanks for the ongoing investment and efforts to all that have made it possible to get her this far.

Comment

Ed, "even if Facebook is easier."
      Well, that's only true if you live where there is high-speed internet available. Surely I'm on the only on left on the internet with dial-up? OK, maybe I AM the only Steamboat Nut. . . . .
      Even this site is taking longer to load, but I can still load it AND see the pictures (I've always had to be patient to see the pictures. Good thing I don't drink coffee, or there'd be a shortage of it! I've learned to have other things to do while "surfing" fixing toy trains, reading S&D (or Model T Times, or. . .).
      So folks, PLEASE keep posting here! I wish the DQSC would get a regular web-page that isn't entirely graphics-oriented. . . .

Comment

Delta Queen/Great Steamboat Race

The Great Steamboat Race started in 1963.The Delta Queen Steamboat has won it 20 times.Hopefully someday she will be back and win another wonderful victory.What a great old boat.Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla The race is usually held the Wednesday before the Kentucky Derby each year.

Comment

Yep, time to get those Golden Antlers back on the pilot house!!

Comment

re Great Steamboat Race

David. It is Silver Antlers now not Golden Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla

Comment

Delta Queen Trivia

Was just reading on the Delta Queens Facebook page the silver antlers are awarded to the boat that wins the race.Yesterday it was the Belle of Louisville The Great Steamboat Race Weds each year before the Kentucky Derby. Delta Queen says to dust off the antlers as they are coming back to get them at some point. Great news from a fantastic boat. Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla antlers used to be gold but am now advised they are silver. Comments?

Comment

On the last trip of the DQ in October 2008, when we stopped in Louisville, the golden antlers were given to the Belle of Louisville to keep them safe and unused until the return of the Delta Queen. When I have ridden the Belle since then, I look for those golden antlers and find them hanging on the wall on the lower deck, awaiting the return of the DQ. The silver antlers are used until that day.

Comment

[QUOTE=carole matthews;34544]Was just reading on the Delta Queens Facebook page the silver antlers are awarded to the boat that wins the race.Yesterday it was the Belle of Louisville The Great Steamboat Race Weds each year before the Kentucky Derby. Delta Queen says to dust off the antlers as they are coming back to get them at some point. Great news from a fantastic boat. Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla antlers used to be gold but am now advised they are silver. Comments?[/QUOTE
                  ---------------
                  My previous post was to make the comment you asked for, but it ended up in a different place. So when you read it, you can see it was to help explain why the silver antlers.
                  Pat

Comment

Aboard The Queen

Sorry Pat Did not get to read your previous post but assume the antlers are silver as that is the information that was given to me on another on line site. Thanks Carole Matthews

Comment

The Antlers used up until 2008 were in fact Golden.....today they still hang in the deck room on the Mayor Andrew Broaddus (Belle of Louisville's wharfboat) waiting for the day the Delta Queen returns for them.

The Golden Antlers were "given to the Belle for safe keeping" by Captain John Dugger of the Delta Queen on her final stop in Louisville, October 24, 2008. The following year saw the introduction of the Silver Antlers that are now used between the Belle of Louisville and Belle of Cincinnati.

Pat, the Silver Antlers you saw on the main deck of the Belle of Louisville are a much older set that had been used decades ago and have since been retired when the Golden Set came along.....confusing I know. haha

So they were silver at some point, and that set was retired and now is displayed on the main deck of the Belle of Louisville....then they were golden...and that set is now retired and waiting for the DQ on the Belle's wharfboat....and now the antlers are silver again being passed between the Belle of Louisville and Belle of Cincinnati.

Comment

Caqrol,
                        The silver antlers are used because the race is not between two STEAMboats. When the DQ comes back, then the Golden Antlers can come out of safe keeping, which the Belle folks have graciously supplied. I was there when they were passed on for safe-keeping.
                        And while I was looking for this picture, I see others have explained things.
                        I didn't know silver ones existed before the golden ones though!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Aboard The Queen

David Great picture and thanks for the information.Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla

Comment

Aboard the DQ

Just trying to get back to the original thread idea...aboard the DQ now directly below the pilothouse is the large eagle and ribbon which was taken off by MAL and returned after many protests. While I didn't walk right to it, it appeared to be in good shape from my vantage point down on the Texas bow. In my years, the 70s and 80s, the antlers from the race were displayed where that eagle now flies. As I mentioned previously, the brass gauges and other accoutrements of value/interest were removed prior to the trip to Houma. That eagle is the one exception and it certainly does brighten the old girl's appearance even as she waits patiently for her rebirth.

Comment

Judy, we were on board when they returned the eagle to his proper place. What a celebration!! Combination of Superbowl victory, winning the World Series and world peace!!
                              We DQ fans are easily pleased.

Comment

The return of the Eagle

So Ginnie, who all was involved in that? I figure the usual suspects: Pat, Jo Ann, Barb... but who else? And wasn't it put on in Alton? We need the same tenacity which wilted that company to rise up again for the exemption battle!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                                Working...
                                X