Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Anderson
    replied
    I did not know that, I don't know anything.

I Googled judicial appointments by Reagan and picked the one with most name recognition - and apparently got lucky.

Yes your hints helped.

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron Anderson View Post
    Sandra Day O'Connor?

1234567890 chars
    You are right, Ron! Did you know that, or were my hints that good?

Leave a comment:

• Ron Anderson
    replied
    Sandra Day O'Connor?

1234567890 chars

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    More DQ trivia! In the engineroom Dennis Schenk was photographed with a notable Washington, DC person. The photo of the two of them was hanging in the engineroom, and hopefully it's still there. Who was this person? A hint is that they interpreted the law, didn't write the laws, and their tenure started during the Reagan years.

Leave a comment:

• carole matthews
    replied
    Delta Queen Trivia

Check the Delta Queen Steamboat Companys Facebook page.They are selling items through Indiegogo like hats coffee mugs tee shirts bumper stickers buttons etc. Also forgot the paddlewheel squares.The items start at $25 an I stopped looking at 25 thousand.Got a $25 one. Credit cards accepted. Funds to be used to fixing up the DQ. They started about 1 today an by 2 EST they had raised a lot in short amount of time. Report is on the site. Check it out Carole of Pompano Beach Fla

Leave a comment:

• Bob Reynolds
    replied
    Okay, here's one: A certain financial services company used the DQ in one of their TV commercials in about 1976 or 77, and it also featured a large animal. Which company, what animal and where was the shoot done?

Leave a comment:

• Jim Reising
    replied
    The story goes, as I remember it, Alcoa chartered the boat and planned on landing at their plant at Ravenswood to get pictures of the star of the Western show they sponsored boarding the boat. But her majesty, the Queen, took one look at the landing and balked. Like a thoroughbred horse looking at the starting gate, she threw one of her famous a fits. The crew twisted her tail, twitched her nose, spoke softly in her ear, but the old gal refused to cooperate.
    All this time the young TV star was waiting in costume on the bank while the photo crew stood by to get their shots. After about an hour, by shear force of will, they got the QUEEN to cooperate and they finally got the boat landed; but, by that time the photo crew had "lost their light" and the young star was not in a good mood.
    By the time James Garner, Maverick, climbed the front stairs and arrived in the main cabin, his mood had improved and he shook hands with all of the crew.
    I don't think Alcoa ever used any of the pictures taken that day in any of their commercials.

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Reising View Post
    Frank, could it have been your dad?
    Jim, you get the Aglamesis chocolate Easter egg! Let me know when you'll be in Covington, so I don't devour it before you get here! (</title> <meta name="robots" content="index,follow" /> <meta name="GOOGLEBOT" content="INDEX, FOLLOW" /> <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.aglamesis.com" /> <script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.) Doc will vouch for the quality of Aglamesis' candy and ice cream there on Oakley Square in Cincy!

Dad was on the OMAR as her Engineer and was familiar with the Reliance Eye High Water Indicators. He recommended to Tom Greene to buy two of them for the DQ.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    aluminum companies

Don't know anything about that plant, but Kaiser and Alcoa have always been separate companies. The second-largest rolling aluminum plant, which is an Alcoa, is right here on the Upper Mississippi just upriver on the edge of the QuadCities. The third largest plant, a Kaiser, was just downriver from the Chalmette Battlefield, also on the Mississippi, lower of course. It has been closed for about 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Reising
    replied
    Frank, could it have been your dad?
    Bill right industry, I think the plant was built under the Kaiser name but was known as an Alcoa plant. Looking at the internet, Alcoa may have been part of Kaiser.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Johnson
    replied
    Frank, was it Cal Benefield? (Sp?)

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    It wasn't Charlie Dietz. The Aglamesis chocolate Easter egg is still here, but I don't know for how long.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Judd
    replied
    If my memory serves me right it was The Kaiser Aluminum Corp.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Reising
    replied
    Could it have been Charlie Deitz?

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    Here's another trivia question. What is the name of the engineer who suggested to Tom Greene to put Reliance Eye High Boiler Water Indicators in the DQ's engineroom?

The winner will not get a Snickers Bar, but if they hurry up and come and get it, will receive an Aglamesis chocolate Easter egg. Any true Cincinnatian knows that any Aglamesis chocolate beats the socks off of a Snickers!

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X