An Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Alternative

The other day at another "hot stove" confab, we decided that perhaps Betty Blake, Bill Muster and Simonton might have been right back in 1967 when they proposed to tear the DQ down to the hull and rebuild.
    The grand old lady has a good hull, working steam plant (except for the boilers), and a steel frame work...all acceptable to the USCG. It might be cheaper and a lot easier to salvage all the vintage parts from the present boat...such as the stained glass, grand stair case, etc. Then tear the boat down to it's steel frame and rebuild using steel or aluminum. That way you wouldn't need a congressional exemption, the boilers could be replaced easily, the rooms could updated to the 21st century, and still have the historic items from the present boat. And the boat would be legal to operate for a long time, not just until a new exemption runs out.
    Who knows you might even be able to get the govt. to loan the money if you did the work at an American shipyard...increase jobs, keep American shipyards going, etc., etc. I bet a congressman or senator would love to sponsor a bill for a project like this for his/her district.
    But, what do I know.

An Alternative

Jim What a great alternative idea however wonder what that would cost an how would it get started? Don't want to say more as not to jinx anything.Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Florida 33064 Re The Delta Queen Riverboat.Bet this generates lots of comments. Ithe bet the former Howard Shipyard now known as Jeffboat in Jeffersonville Indiana which is Keith Norringtons home territory would be able to do this as they have done lots of steamboats over the years, I think they did the MQ an the General Jackson. I read on their history when it was the Howard Boatyard they did like 300 government took over the Howard in WW2 an also read they are one of the largest boat builders in the USA They mainly due barges now I think but they would do a fabulous job an have been in business like 104 yrs dating back to when it was the Howard. I read. See Howard Steamboat Museum website the photos of steamboat section.

Comment

Not a good alternative. If you did this you might as well just build a new boat as the historic element that is the Delta Queen would be gone. There would be so much lost with this. She is the last wooden superstructured overnight steamboat left in America. If this were the case, why tout the history of her. You would never recreate her lines or charm by replacing her wooden superstructure.

Comment

An Alternative

Time for a vote.All those with Jim Reising speak up an those with Ed Frazier do the same. You know where I stand. Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fl 33064 Comments please.Currently at the moment grand old iconic riverboat is just sitting in Chatanooga waiting for something to happen Again comments please.

Comment

Because, in my opinion, the chance of getting a congressional exemption is about as good as the proverbial snowballs chance in ...... Eventually, when the characters in Washington and the Coast Guard change, an exemption might be granted but, again in my opinion, not before the boat deteriorates beyond redemption. This is something that could be done now. No, it's not a good alternative, but it's a possibility.

Comment

An Alternative

Jim I agree with you.According to a post I received from Philip Johnston dated Jan 7 2015 there is a full time group of people looking after the boat where it sits. This is of course wonderful but as Jim said looks like this will sit till you know what freezes over before anything is done. She is such a great riverboat isn't she and something does need to be done soon don't you think an Phil I am not picking on you but it does seem sort of depressing to see her sit there when she could be out cruising again making hundreds if not thousands of people so happy.Comments please. Me included Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064 PS Jeffboat in Jeffeersonvile Ind. would do a wonderful an painstakingly accurate rebuild as they have 104 years of experience in boat building first as the Howard Shipyard then as Jeffboat.Checck out the Howard Steamboat Website an history. You will be impressed.excuse spelling I just want the very best for our beloved DQ. as I know you all do.

Comment

Jim's idea is certainly worth considering. ACL seems to get a king's ransom for what it offers on it's similarly sized vessels. Keep the steam machinery, grand staircase, and the beautiful woods of the Forward Cabin Lounge, Texas Bar, and update the staterooms and you might have something!

Comment

I agree with you Ed Frazier 100%

Comment

Too soon to say whether this alternative or last resort is necessary. The new congress has only been in session for a month. We need to repeat the effort made during the previous congress. I'm sure that the republican senate would not shelve the legislation as was the case before. To that end, what is the current status in the house regarding a DQ exemption? I am sure we all would re-double the pressure that was brought to bear last year.

Comment

was this hot stove gathering at the Howard?

Jim, did your gathering occur at the Howard Steamboat Museum where you are a volunteer and photo archivist extraordinaire? And might the group have included Chief Kenny and Calliope Travis, both of whom are Howard board members, and also Curator Keith? So many of us .org members are privileged to know all these 'suspects'....

Comment

Would this be the Delta Queen II? Several other questions come to mind such as who would own it? Who would fund it? What would the cost be vs restoring/re-building the original? Would it even be cost effective? Would the owners of the original be willing donors/sellers of any components transferred to the new boat?
                      -JH

Comment

Just a step closer to turning the DQ into "Paul Bunyans axe," in my opinion.

For those unfamiliar with the story of the axe, it goes:

"Paul Bunyans axe was as good as new 150 years after it was made...even though it was on its tenth head and twentieth handle."

W.R. Dancey

Comment

BAD idea

First, you will loose the national register status, second, someone would want to "tweak" the design, and we'd loose more of the charm.
                          However, if we don't get the boat running again soon, it will deteriorate to the point where the reconstruction will be the only option. But it certainly won't be our beloved Delta Queen anymore.
                          BTW, larger staterooms will mean fewer passengers per cruise, so that will likely raise cruise rates more. The Delta King has been heavily modified and has larger staterooms, even though the outside still looks correct. The lack of space-hogging machinery on board the King allows for more development space.
                          My vote is NO! H-E-double-L NO!
                          Gee, we're not opinionated here are we?? :)

Comment

Judy, in the spirit of doctor/patient or lawyer/client privilege, I am not a liberty to divulge the names of the hot stove participants but your guess as to the place is dead on. Oh the truths do flow and the BS gets deep when we gather. Wish you could join us.

Comment

Keep in mind that when the COI expired all of the grandfathered items ended which means that all systems from electrical to fire detection, from sewage treatment to exhaust emissions have to be brought up to whatever the current law is. The proposed exemption only exempts the wooden superstructure, not all the rest of the inspected items.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X