The Next Step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Next Step

Rather than petition congress for an exemption, it seems to me our next step needs to be to save the ol' gal herself. I saw a recent picture of her and she is looking very forlorn and neglected. Without constant maintenance, she will fall into a state of disrepair to the point where she can't be brought back even if an exemption is granted.
    I think we need to petition Xanterra to try to find an interested party, such as a municipality or historical group who would assume responsibility for the boat, give the boat to that party, along with an endowment for maintenance. In the long run, such a plan will probably save Xanterra money.
    If, as the present people who want to bring the boat back says, Cincinnati and/or St. Louis has pledged money to start the company if the boat is granted an exemption, then perhaps, those municipalities would be interested in having the boat along with the maintenance endowment as tourist attraction until congress grants the exemption.
    With out something happening soon, the grand old dame will become a rotting pile of timber.
    But, what do I know?

Delta Queen Riverboat

Jim What a good idea as she is just sitting there an wasting away. I have the name an phone number for someone at Xanterra [edited] Carole MAtthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064 I spoke to him in April 2014.

----------
    ADMIN NOTE: I've edited the posting, removing the phone number as I think his direct desk phone number doesn't belong to a public website. If you want to call Xanterra directly, please contact Carole Matthews via e-mail or private message here on the message board and I'm sure she'll be happy to forward the phone number in a private e-mail or message.

Thanks for your understanding
    Franz

----------
    Last edited by Franz Neumeier; 12-29-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Steamboats on static display do not fare well in the USA. Most, if not all succumb to destruction within a decade. This is why it is so critical to get the DQ back running, where she can earn her maintenance costs. There is in place a good group to bring her back, let us not "muddy the waters" with other plans at this point. Concentrate on getting the exemption passed so the repairs can be underway.
      Note; there is another company spending lots of money to keep the DQ off the waters, and apparently trying to also get the AQ out of service too. So we do have to double our efforts in order to overcome this well-funded conspiracy.

Comment

Delta Queen an Senate 2015

The new Senate convenes an noon on Jan 6th.Jay Rockeffeller is going out.Does anyone know who the new Senate Chairman is?We know who the other company is trying to keep the DQ off the water an now there is a post they would llke to do the same to the AQ. SO lets double our efforts to make sure this does not happen. See Davis Deweys post.Look out 2015 here we come. Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064 Thanks for reading.Bye

Comment

Delta Queen an 2015

Oops.Got myself in hot water again. Just trying to help but will certainly be more careful what I say.Glad we found the DQ she is in Chatanooga Tenn.an I am apparently the only one who did not know that.My apologies to Franz Nueimer for giving out Hans Desi at Xanterra phone number meant no harm an had no idea that was frowned upon. So my apologies to all an I will watch every single word I type. I do love steamboats.org an feel it is a privilege to be allowed to post on it. AND in closing I am still going to bat for my favorite riverboat The Delta Queen an that will not change. Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Florids 33064 Bye. WHEW............Hot water makes steam. Ha.

Comment

I didn't mean to muddy the waters or infer that the group behind the Queen is not doing all they can, but the picture I saw of the boat alarmed me. I know from experience how quickly a wooden superstructher boat can deteriorate. If the past is any indication, it might take a long time for a bill to be introduced, go through committee, get voted on then go to the next house, go through the committee there and then be approved. I don't know, maybe someone is maintaining the boat, I certainly hope so because if not everyday that passes means it will be more expensive to get her back operating.
            Some friends of mine from Louisville spent the night on the boat before the hotel closed and my friends said there were buckets placed in the main cabin to catch rain water from the roof leaks. This may be true or not, but that is what they said. Hopefully the roof leaks have been patched because if not I don't know how long the beautiful wood paneling can survive exposed to rain water.

Comment

Water is a real concern. I'm on dial-up, so I haven't seen any recent pics of the DQ. But I do know the DK was under water up to the second and partly third deck for 18 months and survived, so the old gal is tougher than she looks!
              I know if she needs it, there are volunteers who would slop some Henry's on the roof to seal it up--the call only has to go out (I'd be one of them myself, but the trip from California is too much time & dollar wise now).
              Attached Files

Comment

The photo of the DK with all of the snow around her had to be taken while she was up in the frozen north. I believe that it was Kittamat, B.C. (sp?) where she served as a dormitory for the workers at the aluminum foundry there. She wasn't sunk, rather she rested in a big ditch. I imagine the high walls of the ditch protected her from harsh winter winds.

Comment

Yes, the snow pic is when she was in Alaska, in a dry dock type situation (dirt walls & floor!) as a dormitory. At that point she'd lost wheel & engine (Left in California, where they were purchased by the Greeenes as spares), but still had steam heat/electric systems, I just included that to show weather extremes the DK survived. The other photo is of the DK sunk at dock in Rio Vista, somewhere around 1969, as I recall. I saw her there from the road, couldn't get inside "the fence" to see much more. Here's a pic of her/him in Sacramento a few years ago after restoration.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Save The Delta Queen

Nice picture David Dewey. Happy New Year everyone an do not forget lets all get out there for the greatest riverboat ever built in 2015 an get her back in service. 3 Cheers for the Delta Queen Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray and 3 whistle toots Senate resumes on Jan 6 so get going. Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064 Thanks for reading.

Comment

Delta Queen an 2015

Just reading an article about 2 Senators put a hold on the Delta Queen bill not sure which number it is now as was told it was neither in order to stop the bill an let clock run out. I will not mention any names although they are both mentioned individually in the Times Press article. So now we have a new year and a new opportunity to get this settled an get the glorious old riverboat out of shackles an back on the water.So Senate will reconvene on January 6 an does anyone know this bill will be sitting there for 2 years this May.?Well everyone lets get going NOW an get her out of those shackles an not let her waste away another minute in Chatanooga Tenn. So lets start over an we can do it.I see her happy an cruising and all fixed up pretty an cruising again don't you.Come this coming Jan 6 don't sit idle I don't plan to I have all my family an friends ready on stand by to help so lets get going.Thanks for reading Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064
                      ps Don't forget.

Comment

Delta Queen Riverboat

Senate reconvenes January 6 2015. Don't waste a minute lets get going and get the iconic an historic riverboat back in service before she sits in Chatanooga much longer and it will be to late. We here in Florida are ready are you? Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Florida 33064

Comment

Delta Queen Riverboat

Mr.Leslie Paulson. I appreciate your message of Tuesday January 6 at 9 40 AM.However I am going to continue supporting the Delta Queen here from Florida an other riverboats such as in need like the GoLdenrod Showboat in St.Louis Mo.Isnt it a shame this bill has been sitting stagnat for almost 2 years and by the time it is passed maybe it will be to late? I understand how things are done in Washington an was trying to give a helping hand.I am aware an have been advised there are people looking after the DQ while she sits in Chatanooga waiting endlessly. I sincerely hope this historic Nationai Treasure does not meet the same fate as the late an great Misissippi Queen as there are not too many of these old timers left an they need to be preserved for this and future generations. Sincerely Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla at 33064

Comment

Carole, I think what is being said is that until a new bill is introduced in each the House and the Senate, there isn't a bill number to reference when asking politicians to support the DQ effort. I don't think repeating the same post here daily is going to do anything other than clutter the boards making it more difficult to find other information.

Comment

Re e mail for Phillip Johnston

Dear Mr.Johnston. I appreciate your e mail of Jan 6 2015 at 1 fifty in the afternoon. I do not recall posting daily for the Delta Queen perhaps 3 times a week. I think is is a real real bad shame the it seems that no one but me is taking a stand for the poor old iconic riverboat the DQ short for Delta Queen. I am well aware how things work in Washington DC an assume this will take some time even though its almost 2 years on the current one. No one is trying to push anyone around an if that were assumed it will be a gross error. I am simply trying to help as I see days go by an sometimes weeks with no one posting anything at all for the DQ an that is very sad. Excuse my spelling.As I stated in my e mail to Mr. Paulson I will to continue to support the DQ an other riverboats in need such as the Goldenrod Showboat of St.Louis Mo from here in Florida as these old timers are few an far between an if nothing is done they will be lost to present an future generations forever. Sincerely Carole Matthews of Pompano Beach located in Florida 33064 Have a great day.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X