DQ's opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DQ's opponents

On the heels of the NY Times article, this was just released. Thanks to JoAnn Schoen for bringing it to my attention, and I just thought I would share it here.

Its dishearteneing to now see in printed proof what I already knew. Some of the DQ's biggest fans who have since rode the Queen of the Mississippi are probably not going to be thrilled to find out their money was spent in trying to keep the DQ tied to the banks. I guess Charlie Robertson is scared of the DQ's competition?

Connecticut companies spent millions lobbying in Washington this year | The CT Mirror

Phillip

I read this article with shock. When the DELTA QUEEN was getting her exemption in the Congress we knew that American Cruise Line was up to no good when the Representatives in Connecticut and Maryland (where ACL is based and where their shipyard is located) out right lied about the facts surrounding the DELTA QUEEN to try and dissuade the popular vote against the DELTA QUEEN. But now this article outlines their intentions and where they are spending their money. How can any one who says they are a fan of the Mississippi River or steam boating support these people who are trying to spend their money to put a stop to steamboating? I sincerely hope the readers here will read this article with great interest and show ACL what they think of their operations! I happen to know for fact other things that ACL is up to behind the scenes to try and stop other competition and all I can say is they are spending an incredible amount of money to take over a market. If their product is as good as they say it is, why can't they just offer it, market it, and get the customers as all businesses do in a free market like America? I can tell you why, because it is a ruse, fakery, deceit, and if you can't smell it by now…you need to educate yourself before you waste more money on these people and their plot to DESTROY the overnight steamboat market in America! I am sure I will get a ton of email concerning this. I may even be banned from this forum for this. If I am, at least I had the confidence to speak the truth and am posting the link again which is irrefutable proof of what I am saying. Connecticut companies spent millions lobbying in Washington this year | The CT Mirror

Comment

I am absolutely disgusted to see this in print. Competition is a major part of our capitalist system, and what ACL is doing is appalling, especially to a treasure like the DQ. While there are many things I would absolutely love to say, I will hold my tongue. I know there are a lot of supporters of both companies on here, but throughout my life, I've always believed in the real thing. The BELLE, the NATCHEZ, the MINNE, the CHAUTAUQUA BELLE, the JBS, and the QUEEN's are the real deal, and I will always believe in them. Ban me from this forum if you will, but I have not and now CANnot support a company that would do this kind of thing to a steamboat. Once you have given them knowledge, you cannot silence the people no matter what you do. Long live the DELTA QUEEN!!!

Comment

Did I miss something? Why do people think they're going to get banned from .org?

Comment

Just in case you forgot this posting:

IT PASSED!!!!!!
          Views: 2,940
          Posted By Tim Rubacky
          Judy, I don't imagine that any operators,...

Judy,

I don't imagine that any operators, current or prospective, consider or view the DQ as a competitor so I highly doubt that any of those operators would have spent any time or money lobbying...

Yep, I'm just a dumb cookie lady who doesn't have a clue, and I'm sure he figured most of us on the board are idiots.

(This was my comment to which he was replying:
          My internet is spotty here so I couldn't view any of the proceedings, but I understand there was a lot of BS spewing forth from someone who sees the DQ as a competitor. Obviously the falsehoods he put out need to be corrected and this information disseminated to the Senators to preclude his misinformation campaign succeeding there.)

Comment

Jonathan, check your email for the explanation.

Comment

What I was/am shocked about is that this information is now public!! AH HA!!! NOW we can get the public upset maybe??? I know my blood is boiling! I have already emailed all my contacts the link and will send them more ammo as soon as I find some.
              Linda's first comment upon being read the article was, "If they are so worried about the DQ, why didn't they just buy it??"
              SCAREY THOUGHT!!!

Comment

Honestly, I was pondering riding their new foreign flagged ship on the Great Lakes. There just aren't many options available now with a modicum of luxury on the Lakes. I don't need to worry about that now. I'll gladly spend my money elsewhere.

Comment

It would not be the first time a company purchased purchased another company, asset or territory to put the competition out of business.

What is even more sad is the number of lobbyists taking over DC, driving residential prices out of sight so an honest working man/woman can't afford to live there.

It is devastating to read the article on more than one level, for what ACL APPARENTLY is doing and other companies lobbying to make it easier (less costly) to import items rather than manufacture them here.....or in the DQ case.....let the riding public make their choice.

Some years ago the conventional wisdom was gasoline SERVICE stations on two corners of an intersection "were good for both". Amen.

Comment

Today's article/Facebook comments

After reading comments on Facebook today regarding the article shared above, I openly and directly voiced my skepticism of the "Fact Sheet" that was shared and contained obvious flaws and misconceptions. I realize full well the amount of work, logistics, and required upgrades that must be done in order for the Delta Queen to receive a COI from the Coast Guard, and that we all know is true. No arguments there. Deep pockets and a great deal of work are ahead, not to mention paying passengers but that is all discussion for another time. My beef, however, rests within the way an obviously flawed document is being distributed as truth! From my reading I found the fact sheet lacking a great deal of well... facts. It appeared to be a hastily thrown together document in a veiled attempt to make the lobbying efforts appear to be directed at passenger safety rather than a rival company trying to snuff out a potential competing vessel. I quite frankly do not accept that the former is the actual reason behind the lobbying efforts, as some would have us to believe, and much like the rest of you, believe the latter is the true reason behind the efforts.

I stand by my position and comments in a respectful manner. However, if I offended anyone with my honesty, I sincerely apologize. I felt my intelligence was being insulted and frankly anyone who read the "fact sheet" prepared by whomever lobbyist/company official/lawyer/politician is dumber for having done so. I don't appreciate being treated as if I know nothing about steamboats or lobbying efforts - quite the contrary. I'm an informed young person and confess I still have much to learn in this world but I stated my skepticism, the questions I asked in a respectful manner and I stand by them.

I wish each of you, and your families, a Happy New Year.

Taylor Abbott
                    Clarington, OH

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor Abbott View Post

I stand by my position and comments in a respectful manner. However, if I offended anyone with my honesty, I sincerely apologize. I felt my intelligence was being insulted and frankly anyone who read the "fact sheet" prepared by whomever lobbyist/company official/lawyer/politician is dumber for having done so. I don't appreciate being treated as if I know nothing about steamboats or lobbying efforts - quite the contrary. I'm an informed young person and confess I still have much to learn in this world but I stated my skepticism, the questions I asked in a respectful manner and I stand by them.

I wish each of you, and your families, a Happy New Year.

Taylor Abbott
                      Clarington, OH
                      Taylor, no need to apologize for being honest. I too take offense when people think others to be fools - see my previous posting here recalling the rebuke I got for suggesting the reason for the lobbying. And I notice that person is still considering us negatively (to put it nicely) in his Facebook postings! No way to win that 'battle' - better to concentrate on the 'war' SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN!

Comment

this same sort of "competition" happened recently on the Great Lakes against the owners of the SS Badger Carferry by those in favor with the competing Lake Express ferry in Milwaukee. Thankfully the Badger "won" that battle!

Sad that some companies invest so much into lobbying ventures instead of maybe providing some people a job, for instance!

Comment

The bigger they are...

Word of mouth can sink ships. If acl wants to play dirty others can too. This just shows how our greedy officials like to work. I am out of a main loop for news as I don't facebook anymoreand I look forward to seeing her refitted and sailing the waters again. I have full faith this will happen. The American Queen is a far better boat then the queen of the mississippi and people in the long run really want the real thing.
                          The thought of steaming up or down the river is what we look for. People want to experience calliopies and steam whistles. If we can't have those, why not save money and sail on a blue water ship or enjoy your own pleasure boat.
                          The Delta Queen has proven time and time again, that persistance pays off. She has had and currently has great people who care about her and she will win. I am taking these 2 articles ( mostly the second one) and sharing on my twitter and g+ pages publicly. I am also going to share with maritime matters for fun.

Comment

What a bunch of underhanded garbage! Frankly, I don't see any attraction to the Q of M. In my opinion, it's ugly and has no style or class plus it's way overpriced. Sounds like her owners fit the same description. When I watched those hearings in the House of Representatives, I knew something was afoot with the Connecticut reps.

I guess its time to write my senators and include the article mentioned above.

I just looked at Q of M videos on You Tube and they are getting very few viewers.
                            I had to laugh at some of the comments by those viewers. My favorite is: "Be sure to ask the American Cruise representative if you are age appropriate for a river cruise. These cruises cater to a geriatric clientele, 75-85 years of age. It is a floating geriatric center. If you see a passengers in their 50s-60s, they are probably accompanying elderly parents. Most of the passengers remember the Civil War, Lee's surrender and the day Lincoln was shot."

Well, I'm over 70 but under 75 so I guess they wouldn't want me, anyway. Sounds good to me.

-JH
                            Last edited by Franz Neumeier; 12-28-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Jim and everyone,

please let's stay fair and polite! It's a hot topic but even more it's important to not getting personal and not bashing on things down just because you need to vent your mind.

If you're not the right audience for the Queen of the Mississippi this doesn't mean the boat is unattracting or overpriced or what ever. It's obviously just not the right product for you. But you should concede that there are people who *are* the right audience for this boat (and ACL ships in general). I've been cruising on the QotM this summer and I can assure you the passengere where there voluntarily, no-one forced them to choose ACL and they enjoyed it tremendously ...

So please keep in mind that fairness and politeness is key in any honest discussion (and also please leep the message board rules in mind) for an further comment.

Thanks
                              Franz

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X