X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl Jones View Post
    In my last news letter from the National Trust for Historic Preservation was a note that they were supporting the Delta Queens return to the Rivers. The National Trust has some pretty influential people on its board and staff and should be great allies.

As the old Churchlady on Saturday Night Live would say, "Well, isn't that special?" I don't trust The Trust at all. During 2008 thanks to The Trust's then President Mohs, there was no effort to support the DELTA QUEEN. It is commonly believed that Mohs and Rep. Oberstar were buddies and Mohs did not want to do the honorable thing and support her ladyship. Last September the representatives of The Trust didn't even show up in Chattanooga for a prearranged media event announcing The Trust's supposed support this time for the DELTA QUEEN. I wonder if this backing out at the last moment has anything to do with The new arrangement between The Trust and The American Queen Steamboat Co. For each new booking on the AQ The Trust is given $5.00. To me incorporating Dale's phrase with one from The Bard, "What do I know, but me thinks there is something rotten in the state of Denmark," is appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Nori Muster
    replied
    God, how could anybody say stuff like that? Some people must live in a parallel reality! I grew up watching my father add safety systems to the Delta Queen. Sprinklers, alarms, fire drills, even live-in firefighters!

Leave a comment:

• Bill Donovan
    replied
    This from my 14 year old son, "Dad, I hope when Delta Queen leaves Chattanooga to go back to cruising the rivers someone is on the calliope playing Happy Days are Here Again."

He heard a Youtube video of someone playing that on the calliope.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Jones
    replied
    In my last news letter from the National Trust for Historic Preservation was a note that they were supporting the Delta Queens return to the Rivers. The National Trust has some pretty influential people on its board and staff and should be great allies.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Donovan
    replied
    I've sent off letters to our Senators. I wrote my congressman while it was in the House of Representatives.

We'll see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• Franz Neumeier
    replied
    Greg, I guess you're right. I just remember having been pretty disappointed when we found out we won't see Lake Pepin on these trips at all...

Leave a comment:

• Greg Weber
    replied
    Franz, as I recall from my working days on the DQ, Lake Pepin was transited during daylight hours on upbound trips. We typically left St Paul at 7pm or later, so it was dark by the time Pepin was reached when downbound. Also, most of those trips were in the fall with standard time being observed.

Leave a comment:

• Franz Neumeier
    replied
    the bill number in the Senate is S. 1022

Leave a comment:

• Wesley Paulson
    replied
    Do we have a Senate bill number? Or will HR 1961 cross over to the Senate?

Wesley

Leave a comment:

• Franz Neumeier
    replied
    Travis, you wrote:

Originally posted by Travis Vasconcelos View Post
    They claimed many things that are simply not true about the boat because as you said, they have not walked the decks of the boat.
    I'd go even further than that. I assume they're lying intentionally. Nobody can be so stupid to think that the Delta Queen got her COI from the Coast Guard for so many years without being fully compliant with all safety regulations (with the obvious exemption of having a partially wooden superstructure).

In the unlikely case they really are stupid enough to really belief what they said, I wonder a) why they are being elected as Representatives? b) why such a gross insult for the Coast Guard is acceptable in the House, giving the Coast Guard that little trust?

But anyway, that's history now, this time with a very positive outcome for the DQ in the House.

Let's now focus our energy on approaching the Senators, especially the ones in the Committee of Commerce, to make this bill go through Senate as well. I think that's much more important than anything else right now!

Franz

Leave a comment:

• Franz Neumeier
    replied
    It actually is this mix on all ACL cruises, this wasn't just by accident on our cruise. Half cruising, half sightseeing by daylight and staying in port overnight (sometimes arriving like at 10 pm and staying until noon the next day) is one of their basic idea. They want to show the passengers the scenery that they came for.

When I remember back to our cruises on the AQ, MQ and DQ, we freqently missed specific steches of the rivers because we did them by night (like Lake Pepin, as mentioned - I think we did Lake Pepin three or four times, but only once or twice by daylight).

But don't forget another aspect when talking about ACL: This is a different audience. I think it's always important to not exprct every cruise line doing river cruises on the Mississippi to have the same concept and the same audience. Some people like sitting in busses and doing tours. That's neither bad nor good, it's just ho it is - some people like it this way, and some don't.

I think it's great that there are different people and different cruise concept so everyone can find exactly what fits his needs.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Originally posted by Franz Neumeier View Post
    Judy,

you mentioned an intersting point: choking a stump by night, cruising by daylight. That was actually a pleasing surprise on our cruise on the Queen of the Mississippi as ACL is doing exactly this. We almost never sailed by night and hence didn't miss a piece of the beautiful landscape around. Half day cruising, half day plus the nights in town (okay, we stayed on town for the nights, didn't choke stump; guess that' some convenience for the crew). I remember back in the DQSC times (don't remember which boat) when we did pass Lake Pepin by night ... :-(

Franz
    I'm glad you got that mix on your trip - but remember they put that trip together quickly since they couldn't do the UMR. When they do come up on schedule, they sit all day in Davenport after arriving during the night. I think that is true in the other UMR ports too. I can understand people wanting bigger, nicer rooms and amenities than what the DQ can offer, but for the life of me I can't understand why people would book a trip on a BOAT so they could spend every day on BUSES touring land sites. Take a Greyhound instead!

Leave a comment:

• Tom Schiffer
    replied
    Travis: DQ stepped on toes including organized labor and that could be the reason that elected representatives from "non-river" states voted against it. The objections don't hold water otherwise...certainly not fire! I'm glad you enumerated the exits...I had no knowledge of the slides...but then I was never lucky enuff to sail on her...mebbe soon! Cap'n Walnut

Leave a comment:

• Jim Alexander
    replied
    Roll Call Vote

Originally posted by Jim Herron View Post
    The video didn't show the roll call vote but did show the results. Were the votes pre-cast prior to the arguments? I would like to see a list who voted for or against the bill.
    Jim,

The list of those who voted for or against the bill can be found here:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll484.xml

The results are markedly different along party lines, which will make for more of a challenge if it proves to be the case in the Senate. My district's Representative (Rob Andrews, District 1 - NJ) voted against, irrespective of my call to his office.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Wesley Paulson
    replied
    I can assume the Maryland delegation voted as they did in support of Maryland-based ACL (or at least their yard in Cambridge). I am happy to say my Maryland Congressman Chris Van Hollen voted in favor of the bill.

Now, on to the Senate.

Wesley

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X