IT PASSED!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT PASSED!!!!!!

GLORY! GLORY! GLORY!!! She'll cruise again!!!!

Great News

Somewhere Tom Greene and Jim Burns are smiling while I can imagine Miss Letha just shaking her head. Now on to the Senate.

My congratulations to Phillip and all the other players who made this happen!

Wesley

PS - Someone please tell Jane Greene unbeknownst to me my wife made a meatloaf for dinner on the day HR 1961 was approved.

Comment

The vote was 280 Yes and 89 No votes. I viewed the debate at 5:PM and the vote at begining at 6:30 PM.

Comment

Victor,

Was there anything of interest in the debate prior to the vote?

Wesley

Comment

What has to happen now before she can start traveling the rivers again? How I hope she'll be able to make Louisville next year for Belle's Big Birthday Bash.

Comment

first it has to go before the Senate, chances there are good. THEN the boat has to get a new COI from the Coast Guard, chances there about the same as winning the Powerball lottery.

Comment

So does this mean that the is no real reason to be excited?
              Last edited by CJ Meyers; 09-25-2013, 10:56 PM. Reason: missed a word

Comment

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!! Can't wait to sign up for the first trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Judd View Post
                  first it has to go before the Senate, chances there are good. THEN the boat has to get a new COI from the Coast Guard, chances there about the same as winning the Powerball lottery.
                  My advice would be to go buy your powerball tickets then. The USCG has already been approached about the planned refurbishment of the DQ and are willing to work with us, provided certain conditions are met. We too find the boats safety paramount, and are thrilled at thier willingness to work through this project with us.

Stay tuned folks, lots going on behind the scenes to make this happen. Please continue to call your senators and thank your representatives for their votes if they helped pass today's bill, HR 1961.

There is tons to be excited about! Farthest the DQ has gotten since 1998 legislatively.

Comment

A big first step

No need to post anything on my NOLA thread yesterday - the DQ was THE news. As I narrated the dinner cruise, I mentioned the 3 steamboats still running, and that the beloved DQ had just passed her first hurdle so I could say there are 4 steamboats still running on the Mississippi River system. She's got lots to get through yet, but you can't get through the second step until you've taken the first step, and she's done that!

My internet is spotty here so I couldn't view any of the proceedings, but I understand there was a lot of BS spewing forth from someone who sees the DQ as a competitor. Obviously the falsehoods he put out need to be corrected and this information disseminated to the Senators to preclude his misinformation campaign succeeding there. Quite frankly, if the new owners of the DQ run her with her quaint touches - like the bunk bed rooms, an occasional 'hokey' sing a long in the Texas, CRUISING IN THE DAYLIGHT, and PLENTY OF CALLIOPE PLAYING, I don't see a direct competition for those passengers who want luxury, bathrobes, large staterooms, and daylong shore stops.

Who is the committee chairman who holds the advancement of the Senate bill in their power?

Down here in the magical French Quarter, riding the NATCHEZ, and dreaming of seeing THE Queen coming round that bend on the Upper again...

Comment

Judy,

I don't imagine that any operators, current or prospective, consider or view the DQ as a competitor so I highly doubt that any of those operators would have spent any time or money lobbying senators or members of the House or disseminating falsehoods.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Rubacky View Post
                        Judy,

I don't imagine that any operators, current or prospective, consider or view the DQ as a competitor so I highly doubt that any of those operators would have spent any time or money lobbying senators or members of the House or disseminating falsehoods.
                        For what it's worth,

I think the more, the merrier out here. The AQ and the other boat are completely different products. The only similarity is the appearance of a paddlewheel in back. The Delta Queen is different from both boats already here. Three distinct experiences with enough similarities to engender the interests of pax to sample all three. It's ultimately a good thing. Bring the Legendary Delta Queen out to play. We miss her. Having the DQ chugging along with us gives everyone in the business a sense of from whence we came .... and the responsibility to maintain the tradition.

Comment

Paul,

I couldn't agree more. The more the merrier! There is room for all of us out here and we will all do things different. In reality it gives passengers more opportunities to see things from a different prospective. It is too bad it has taken all of this to get her back on the river.

I can't thank people like Leah Ann and Randy Ingram, Phillip Johnson, and Cornel Martin enough for doing all this tireless work on their own dime for us. Not to mention the "Riverboat Ladies" who volunteer their time to keep the boat looking good and all those people who have lobbied their Representatives to make this great day happen. You have no idea how much work they have done behind the scenes to make this happen.

A labor of love and belief in the statement "Steamboat 'round the bend" is what it has taken.

It is not over yet...there are still many hurdles to clear. The Senate (Start writing your Senators to support this bill NOW!!!) still has to vote on S.1022, getting the boat prepared to undergo United States Coast Guard examination, a crew working hard on restorative and cosmetic jobs...but, when all that is done, she will return to the rivers and I have complete faith that since this first major step has happened, she will make it back...and soon!

Travis

Comment

Misinformation from one of the speakers

Originally posted by Tim Rubacky View Post
                            Judy,

Um, OK. So the Representative who stated there were "no sprinklers, detection, nor fire suppression in any passenger area" and that there were "no means of aft evacuation" needs to do better personal research himself. Or, he could just walk aboard the DQ and SEE these things with his own eyes!

Regardless of how this speaker got his misinformation, my point was, and still is, we need to refute these particular points to the Senators so that they won't fall for them too. You know they say the more something is repeated, the more people believe it, whether it is true or not!

I too believe there is room for the DQ in addition to the current operating overnight boats, ESPECIALLY if she embraces her past and doesn't try to be just like the young'uns! As I posted, cruise in the daylight - choke a stump at night if you need to save fuel, don't sit in town all day; and PLAY THE CALLIOPE! Hire officers who don't have an aversion to it, and don't use the excuse that you don't want to disturb the current passengers with its playing. Off with their heads if they try to silence the Voice of the River!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Judy,

you mentioned an intersting point: choking a stump by night, cruising by daylight. That was actually a pleasing surprise on our cruise on the Queen of the Mississippi as ACL is doing exactly this. We almost never sailed by night and hence didn't miss a piece of the beautiful landscape around. Half day cruising, half day plus the nights in town (okay, we stayed on town for the nights, didn't choke stump; guess that' some convenience for the crew). I remember back in the DQSC times (don't remember which boat) when we did pass Lake Pepin by night ... :-(

Franz

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X