Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rally on the River & The Great Steam Up, Nov 4, 2010!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rally on the River & The Great Steam Up, Nov 4, 2010!

There is a lot of excitement on the Delta Queen these days and the effort to save and preserve the boat has not slowed. The new managers of the Delta Queen Hotel have made it their goal to purchase the vessel to ensure its future preservation, and the possibility that she may one day sail America's rivers again. A non-profit organization called the "Delta Queen Preservation Foundation" has been formed for that purpose and will be debuted in grand fanfare at a "Rally on the River," the evening of Thursday, November 4, 2010.

The Rally on the River will be kicked off at 4:00 pm with a calliope concert featuring the Delta Queen, Belle of Cincinnati and the Southern Belle. The night progresses with an elegant feast prepared by the Delta Queen's new Executive Chef and his team complete with wine pairings. After the meal, entertainment will be provided by Bill Wiemuth and Laura Sable aboard the Belle of Cincinnati. There will also be an ongoing silent auction of Delta Queen and steamboat related memorabilia and artifacts.

Leading up the Rally on the River will be an afternoon of excitement and activity we're calling the "Great Steam-up." Between the hours of 12:00 noon and 4:00 pm the public is invited down to tour the vessel. They will be guided through the boat by former passengers and crew who have experienced life on the river first hand. This will also be the first time since the boats arrival in Chattanooga that the public will be able to witness the Delta Queen's mighty engines in operation.

A group of skilled steamboat engineers, several from the Delta Queen's past, will be on hand to exercise the engines and other auxiliary equipment (dockside of course). This effort is to ensure the operational readiness of the vessels systems, should she eventually be put back in service. Tours will conclude with the calliope concert to kick off the rally, featuring none other than our very own Travis C. Vasconcelos.

Proceeds from the day's events will go directly towards the Delta Queen Preservation Foundation. There will be package deals available for those interested in staying overnight on the Delta Queen.

For more information please visit the Delta Queen Hotel's website at Landmark Chattanooga Hotel: Delta Queen Hotel , Tickets are in short supply!

You may also contact Julie Dodson at the Delta Queen Hotel at: 423-413-3804 or e-mail Julie@DeltaQueenHotel.net

For reservations, call: 423-413-3804. Tickets will be available at the Will Call Desk

On behalf of the Delta Queen Preservation Foundation and myself, We hope to see you there, feel free to spread the word and bring friends!!
    Attached Files

Oh, to be stuck in an office at work.....I'll be with you in spirit. Maybe some nice video on YouTube would help ease the pain.

Comment

Especially when they start up those engines again! A full sequence from cold to first few reciprocatin's!

Comment

I wish I knew of a way to do live stream video from the engine room so those who couldn't make it could at least watch. It sounds like we're going to have one exciting day!

Comment

Well, the bags are almost packed, the laundry done, the mail diverted, the oil changed in the car...all is in readiness.

If you aren't coming, stay tuned for pictures and updates! This is gonna be a great trip to Chattanooga! I wish you all could be there as this next great step in the DELTA QUEEN's history begins. Lets all keep our fingers crossed as we prepare to educate the public to her plight, raise steam, roll the wheel, and show them what she is and how she works! If we pull this off correctly (and we have ALL the right resources, the right people, and the information) there could be some great smoke signals coming from Chattanooga in the coming months!

Watch the newspapers and TV stations in the Chattanooga area for information!

Chattanooga Times Free Press | Home Page
          Chattanoogan.com - Breaking News in Chattanooga
          WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports - Home
          WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery
          WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley
          MyFOXChattanooga | WDSI-TV FOX61 | FOX61 First @ Ten | News, Weather and Sports an Hour Early

Travis

Comment

Hey all,

Here is are some pictures of the volunteers aboard the Delta Queen on November 2, 2010. Wish you all were here.

Travis

Comment

AAAAGGHH!! WE WANT TO BE THERE!!!
              Instead, I'm giving a talk to the Native Sons of the Golden West Sat. on steamboats of California. This is a rehearsal for one I'm giving on the 21st to the Butte County Historical Society.
              BUT we'd much rather be there with y'all. I did get some news today that MIGHT mean we can go to Chattanooga sometime soon. Fingers crossed.
              BTW, news right now is the Repub's are taking over the House--that means Oberstar will loose his chairmanship!! We might actually have a chance!!!
              S'
              David D.

Comment

Great to see my new friends Barb, Gayle, and Pat!! Wish I could be there tomorrow

Comment

Hey all,

Today at 7:47pm the wheel began the slow process of warming up. Chiefs Howe and Lewis and their crew rolled the wheel for several minutes. The whistle rang out into the rain, as did the calliope this afternoon. Three cheers for the Engineers, for they had a very long and fruitful day! The excitement level for the launching of the Delta Queen Preservation Foundation is building quickly. I wish you all were here for this momentous occasion. It is truly a labor of love for many people and definitely a great time for the boat.

Comment

... Thanks for the update Travis ... And Best Wishes To All the Engineering Crew .... :)<----
                    As much as I wish I were there ...:/
                    Steamcerly ..as David D. would say...

Comment

Best wishes to you all as you prepare the old DQ for the festivities. It sounds like it's an exciting and hope filled time to be visiting the Old Gal. And for my friend James Oberstar, Sic semper tyrannis!

From the gently pitching decks of the last regularly scheduled transatlantic liner RMS QUEEN MARY 2, regards,
                      Frank

Comment

Please someone provide some video of the paddlewheel and whistle!

Comment

TV report

Here's a brief blah clip from one of the Chattanooga TVstations. Nothing in the newspaper today. I hope the public turnout was better than the media.

Volunteers Stage a Rally on the River to Save a Historical Steamboat | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley

and here's an article,no video, from another TV station:
                          Group Rallies Around the Delta Queen | delta, rallies, effort - Local News - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery

Comment

The Chattanooga newspaper carried a color photo this morning showing Barb Hameister on the fantail, looking up at the paddlewheel, with accompanying text about the Rally on the River.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                            Working...
                            X