National Trust/Mrs. Inouye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Trust/Mrs. Inouye

Here's an interesting item: While reading my latest issue of Preservation Magazine, the publication of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, I glanced at the fine print item listing current board of trustee members who are coming up for new terms, and noted that a Mrs. Inouye was up for re-election. Hmmm. So I looked her up. Yes, this leader of the nation's foremost historic preservation organization is indeed the (relatively recent) wife of Sen. Daniel Inouye, one of the two legislators most responsible for NOT renewing the DQ's exemption to the Safety of Life at Sea Act. She has an extensive resume in museum/preservation work and issues--look it up. You can't tell me her husband is unaware of the cultural value of a working Delta Queen. Is anyone else dumbfounded that he, of ALL people, with a new wife gung-ho on saving America's treasures, was so instrumental in grounding a vessel that is a National Historic Landmark AND part of the National Trust's Historic Hotels of America program? I hope at least that there was some heated pillow talk in their household!

He did publicly admit that he would vote for the exemption IF the Unions told him to.
    Maybe we can put some more "intimate" pressure on him?
    S'
    David D.

Comment

The National Trust issue was extensively pursued earlier, during the big rush to get the exemption. "Trust" me, the friendships out there would astonish you. Dead end.

Comment

Mary,

I had typed about the most eloquent response to your posting I have ever written...I was very proud of it. When I went to italicize one word, the whole hour-long diatribe was lost to the electronic world. No fight or back browser button would save it! I cannot even try and capture the sentiment..such attempts would be futile!

The basis of my response was, the National Historic Trust is nothing more than a political action committee who is driven by self-serving idiots who have no more knowledge of history and historic preservation than a street person (who probably has more!). Just like was stated in the ADMIRAL thread yesterday...it is the dollar who dictates what we get to keep...and in this country the dollar says, let history rot in a book and move on with the latest and greatest thing.

I emphasized my point with a link to a national historic treasure which is being ignored by this "powerful" group, the USS OLYMPIA ( USS Olympia, a naval veteran of two wars, battles for survival | NOLA.com ), the situation with the loss of historic purpose of the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE (which is celebrated on their list, yet has been bastardized to meet the modern world and efficiencies at the cost of her historic significance).

I had cited a number of situations where the "Trust" ignored things which didn't make them money and give them prestige. I also went on to make the true hero known...the person who puts their blood, sweat, tears, and $$$$ behind the operation of a boat and keeps it in the condition and purpose it is intended....for they are the preservation heroes...not the political action committee we are speaking of here!

The trust isn't going to lift a finger for the DELTA QUEEN, now with the Inouye family at the helm. The name DELTA QUEEN to their family means embarrassment and shame for the whole American Classic Voyages situation in 2001. Surely we couldn't even portend to rely on someone with such history with the boat to lift a finger for us....even if they would do such a thing!

Sorry for all the venom...but, my career came to an end at the hands of these "preservationists"...not to mention the politicians who gave them the line to follow when it was more reasonable (read: donations to THEIR campaigns) to ignore the situation by legislating it out of business.

I have little if ANY respect for the "Trust". I say ignore them and their supposed prestige and maybe they will go away! The real heroes of preservation are the people who put their money, hearts, and souls behind the idea!

The operators of the NATCHEZ are such people...so are their talented crew!

Lets hope others get behind such treasures as the JULIA BELLE SWAIN, BELLE OF LOUISVILLE, DELTA QUEEN, and other remaining historic treasures and get them back to running the way they are supposed to be! Lets also remember they won't be there long if we don't support them and get others to do the same! If the dollar dictates what we get to keep, it is our responsibility to preserve through support!

This is nothing like what I had written...but many of the original ideas are represented here...I am sick I lost the good one!

Travis
        Last edited by inactive user 02; 10-05-2010, 10:08 AM. Reason: link messed up

Comment

Travis, I just adore you. You still have it in you to rant and rave! All of that--and more that is SO unprintable (you know what I mean) went through my mind--but my blood pressure just can't stand it anymore. How many hours did we spend on this? How many trees sacrificed their lives--how many electrons--or whatever they are--whirled through cyberspace, contacting every member of the board of the National Trust? Worthless. I'm done. It's all a joke. I learned my lesson about how the government really works.

Comment

Mary,

I notice you say "I learned my lesson about how the government really works". The thing I notice here the most is you call them "the government". The biggest problem in this country is we forget they are OUR government. We sit back like little sheep when we need to do alot to get this country back to what it should be instead of the laughing stock of the world. We WERE a great nation...then we became complacent. We owe those who gave their lives for our freedom better than this! The government they fought for was not one who intimidated its people to the point they are scared to travel. The government THEY fought for was one which governed a nation of people who were proud to say they were Americans! It is too bad we repay them with this embarrassment of what we became for their sacrifice!

Well, ain't that all off subject! But you get my point! Lord, I have a tendency to be preachy, don't I?

Save the DELTA QUEEN...for those who left her decks and gave their lives to fight for our country...and those who deserve a tangible link to their maritime past in this nation. Maybe we can do a little house cleaning in OUR corrupt government along the way, too!

Travis
            Last edited by inactive user 02; 10-05-2010, 11:03 AM. Reason: left out a VERY important word! Oops!

Comment

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. What gets me is that the National Trust for Historic Preservation used to charter trips on the DQ. They were not my favorite group of passengers, however.

Comment

Captain Lexie, Nor were they mine. For some reason, they always seemed to be a bit more demanding--and seemed to think they knew more than the people who ran the boat! Oh, well. And Travis, I know you know I have not given up on the government--just the National Historic Trust angle. I'm still in there, kicking, screaming, biting and clawing!!

Comment

Well said, Travis.

Don't forget that on November 2nd we have the opportunity to give those politicians the "change" they deserve and in so doing, hopefully replace the chairman of the House Transportation Committee which also controls the Coast Guard funding and the consideration of the Delta Queen's exemption.

I don't know about the Senate side of the issue but if the Republicans take it back perhaps Mr. Inouye will find himself in a different, less controlling role as well.

Comment

Unlike the 1960's campaigns, this last one left me with little faith in the response of "our" government to public sentiment and logic. In spite of this, I will still rally for the DQ's survival AND the USS Olympic's too (Being a Dewey, I have a personal tie there). That either of these vessels have to struggle to stay "alive" says a lot about the public's general apathy towards maritime history.
                    Giving one man (Oberstar) as much power as he has goes against representative government--and our cause is just one that has met with such fate.
                    Travis, you are so right when you say that true preservation lies with the passionate individual, not with trusts, etc.
                    Steamcerely,
                    David "still tilting at windmills" Dewey

Comment

The words I had in mind were hauty and overbearing, which you pretty well defined. And I would ammend that last remark with "they seemed to think they 'were better than' the people who ran the boat." Maybe there were some nice people in there, but most had that 'to the manor born' atttitude. I never encountered another group on the DQ that was like that. Even the celebrities were more down to earth.

Comment

Recently returned from Chattanooga for a "working vacation".On Friday I took a group of Korean War Veterans on a one hour tour of the D.Q. One of them remarked that it was the best tour he'd ever been on. Look at the subject I had to show- How could I fail? Wow! She still works her charm even tied to the bank.Is she worth fighting for? You bet. I told the tour group about "the situation" when they asked why she wasn't running, and they were outraged. "Write. Call. Vote." I encouraged.
                        Let's keep fighting, and hope for a change on election day. Barbara Hameister

Comment

The Trust... and HBD Steamboat Mary

My personal experience with "The Trust" was most delightful for the main part. Of course, I became acquainted with the organization on the DELTA QUEEN when thay chartered the boat several times after I returned from the military in 1970. Their staff was always energetic, helpful, and were, for the most part, a great group to work with. I enjoyed The Trust so much I joined them, and for several years my vacation was to attend their annual get-togethers that were informative and FUN. Could those folks party after-hours! And the Trust opened doors that other groups could not. One of my favorite times was a lawn party at The Breakers, the Newport summer home of Cornelius Vanderbilt, a commanding "cottage" overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.

During the 1975 meeting in Boston, commerating the start of the American Revolution in 1775, I was asked to be included in a group of "influential members" during a publicity shoot to garner publicity for a local preservation project. Because I had been the Captain of the DELTA QUEEN my mug was seen standing on the front row on the evening Boston TV news. The distinction of having been on the DELTA QUEEN carried a lot of weight with the National Trust. Ultimately, I was invited to become an Advisor to the Trust, but had to decline for whatever reasons kept me from doing so. I seem to recall the lack of money and free time as the prime reasons.

Hopefully, the National Trust of Historic Preservation will remember its long association with the DELTA QUEEN, and support the preservation and retention of this cherished historic vessel.

And .... HBD Steamboat Mary!

Comment

If Inouye has a part in the National Trust I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but what about the National Register of Historic Places? Being a fan of everything steam powered, I am also a member of the Facebook group "Southern 4501", which is a group dedicated to this steam locomotive, which has been a favorite of mine since I made a reel to reel recording of it passing through Elsmere, KY on July 4, 1970 on a steam excursion. I just learned that it has a National Register of Historic Places Plate attached to it and is being restored to run again. Has the Delta Queen ever applied for this through this organization?

Originally posted by Mary Sward Charlton View Post
                            The National Trust issue was extensively pursued earlier, during the big rush to get the exemption. "Trust" me, the friendships out there would astonish you. Dead end.

Comment

Richard,
                              AFAIK, has been for decades; both Nation Register of Historic Places AND National Historic Landmark. Plaques on the smokestack casing on the Cabin Deck as I remember.
                              S'
                              David D.
                              PS, I think the Nat. Landmark designation has more significance.
                              Last edited by David Dewey; 10-11-2010, 10:17 PM. Reason: PS added

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X