No announcement yet.

National Trust/Mrs. Inouye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks David. The National Register of Historic Places has had a good track record preventing historic national landmarks from being demolished, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It appears now that saving national landmarks has come down more to who you know over what you know. That's a sad commentary on the current state of America.

Originally posted by David Dewey View Post
    Richard,
    AFAIK, has been for decades; both Nation Register of Historic Places AND National Historic Landmark. Plaques on the smokestack casing on the Cabin Deck as I remember.
    S'
    David D.
    PS, I think the Nat. Landmark designation has more significance.

Comment

Which is why I am so disgusted with our present crop of representatives--notice these guys (gals) spend way more money to get elected than they earn in salary--you know there's something else going on!
      To save our DQ we need something that will capture the public's imagination--and in these times I have no idea what that would/could be. Jay Leno's a big steam fan, but won't get involved. Former Pres. Carter road the boat, but we can't seem to get him involved. Just these two folks could turn this thing around!
      S'
      David D.

Comment

Dave,

Perhaps the answer is not to bother with them but, instead their arch nemisis'. For Jay Leno to get involved, we need to get David Letterman. Letterman loves chiding Jay for things he does and doesn't do. This could be the joke that resonates around the country....and Dave Letterman IS the man to do it!

Crazy as it sounds...what ever Letterman says about Jay, it resonates around coffee pots and water coolers all over this country the next morning.

What we need now is someone to do a kind of reverse logic approach. Not stating why or how to save the boat...we need someone out there with a big mouth (read: popular comedian) to make fun of us for NOT saving the boat. Strange as it sounds, the reverse psychology approach just might work! It works for our media EVERY day!

Any thoughts (as I write Letterman at CBS studios)?

Travis

Comment

I'm disgusted with pursuing the political approach any further. What has it got us so far? Nothing! Who knows? Using someone like Letterman may sound crazy, but it's so crazy it just might work!

Comment

Travis,
            Sounds good to me--so far the direct approach hasn't worked!
            S'
            David D.

Comment

It would help if we had someone who owned the boat that was wanting to get her back on the water. That would go a long way to getting the passage to run again. In the studies and travels to other counties including communist ones. I have come to the realization that all governments are in name differant, their actions and politics are the same. In this I am saying all that matters to them is the money and the people are not important. I think as November approaches we are very close to bringing our government back to a point that is going to be for the people, by the people. We have the best chance if exorcise our most important right by voting.

Comment

Staying with the celebrity approach, I just saw this in the news about George Clooney.
                George Clooney meets with President Obama to talk about Sudan - Los Angeles Times

If anyone could pull it off, it would be him. He grew up in Augusta, KY and would have known the Delta Queen well. What's more he was a student at Northern Kentucky University in Radio/Television/Film at the same time I was Engineer of their TV Department. He might even remember me. If George doesn't pan out, there's also his dad, Nick Clooney, somewhat of a celebrity in his own right, who also lived in Augusta.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X