My day with the Delta Queen 9-28-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My day with the Delta Queen 9-28-10

Hi everyone, I just got home from my stay aboard the DQ last night. To sum it up in one word, WOW!!!! It was my first time on her, and she looked just stunning. The volunteers were amazing, and everyone at the hotel I encountered was out of their way friendly. I had my room upgraded (to #121), in the back with the paddlewheel view. I spent the biggest part of the afternoon taking some great pictures of her from the park, both bridges, and from across the river. The weather was "picture" perfect.

I was told beforehand I would fall in love with her, and I sure did, head over heels. Although I wish she was still steaming up and down the rivers, she is in a beautiful place and she is getting constant love from the volunteers who literally make her shine. The interest in her is very strong as well, as I spoke to one local couple who were contemplating staying on her tonight. It was late when I ran into them, and I gave them a personal tour of my room to try and sell them on staying a night (hope it worked).

This morning I had a delicious complimentary breakfast, much nicer than any other hotel comp breakfast. I'm a flight attendant, and have stayed in MANY a hotel over the past 10+ years. The comfort of the bed rivals the best I have ever experienced. I can think of nothing negative I saw, heard, or smelled during my travels around the area. I look forward to keeping in touch with my newfound river friends and making another trip very soon to keep my love affair alive.

DQ Pics 9-28-10

3 good shots of her. I really lucked out on how great the weather was.
    Attached Files

Comment

Glad you enjoyed your stay come again soon

Now that the steam guage is back she can sing, soon like she used to. I hate I missed you and hope to see you soon. We need more to come enjoy her. Come in Nov. when Elton John will be performing less than a mile from the boat. Hope to see you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ed frazier View Post
        Come in Nov. when Elton John will be performing less than a mile from the boat. Hope to see you soon.
        I bet his "Dixie Lily" won't be as heartfelt as Jazzou's and Bobby's rendition.

Comment

Wow, Frank, you reached WAYYYY back for that one! A good song, though. Maybe someone could alert EJ to the DQ's plight and have him say a word or two, and perform "Dixie Lily"?

Comment

Bob,

What a great idea! Someone at the DQ Hotel should get right on this!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank X. Prudent View Post
              I bet his "Dixie Lily" won't be as heartfelt as Jazzou's and Bobby's rendition.
              Umm...Frank. Sir Elton WROTE Dixie Lily. It came from his heart. Come on now, buddy.

Paul

Comment

Good DQ news

There is some big DQ news coming soon! Watch for a press release, hopefully this coming week!

I can't say any more right now about that news, but some of us just returned from another few days on the DQ, doing whatever we can to support the hotel, which is saving the boat. Everything is going well, a lot of activity onboard, even on a Tuesday and Wednesday. We met so many interesting people who had come to stay for a night or two, including our nice visit with Danny. Some knew a little about the boat, a few had some cruises, and some knew nothing and came because it would be a different kind of hotel. What fun to tell people the history of the boat and watch their faces light up! As they left, they were promising to tell all their friends about her.

Here are some pictures. The first is Fall decorations waiting to be put out. The others are just a couple of the places they went.
                Attached Files

Comment

I gotta say - ANY rendition of "Dixie Lily" is heartfelt. Sir Elton captured the very essence of the Delta Queen and the mystique of American steamboats...."Well, I never get lonesome livin' on the river, just watchin' ol' Lily leave the world behind." In the 10 seasons I worked entertaining on BB Riverboats on the Ohio River, it got so that on every cruise the crew expected to hear "Dixie Lily" and they'd sing along with the chorus, "Dixie Lily, chuggin' like a grand old lady, paddles hittin' home in the noonday sun...plowin' through the water, with her whistle blowin' - down from Louisiana on a Vicksburg run." One day someone showed up with a cassette copy of Elton's Caribou album, excitedly proclaiming, "Jazzou, did you know Elton John recorded your song?" Wow, what a compliment that was, and then I had to gently explain that we were actually performing a song by one of the great rock stars of our time, who in his infinite wisdom and artistry saw fit to write a riverboat song!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzou Jones View Post
                    I gotta say - ANY rendition of "Dixie Lily" is heartfelt. Sir Elton captured the very essence of the Delta Queen and the mystique of American steamboats...."Well, I never get lonesome livin' on the river, just watchin' ol' Lily leave the world behind." In the 10 seasons I worked entertaining on BB Riverboats on the Ohio River, it got so that on every cruise the crew expected to hear "Dixie Lily" and they'd sing along with the chorus, "Dixie Lily, chuggin' like a grand old lady, paddles hittin' home in the noonday sun...plowin' through the water, with her whistle blowin' - down from Louisiana on a Vicksburg run." One day someone showed up with a cassette copy of Elton's Caribou album, excitedly proclaiming, "Jazzou, did you know Elton John recorded your song?" Wow, what a compliment that was, and then I had to gently explain that we were actually performing a song by one of the great rock stars of our time, who in his infinite wisdom and artistry saw fit to write a riverboat song!
                    And a great song at that, Jazzou. Heartfelt performances of it come naturally to steamboaters and British composers alike.

Comment

In case you're wondering what my second favorite Elton John song is, like "Dixie Lily" it's one that is also about a particular mode of transportation to another realm, albeit a little faster and minus the whistle...."Rocket Man"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Penta View Post
                        And a great song at that, Jazzou. Heartfelt performances of it come naturally to steamboaters and British composers alike.
                        And as my boss is wont to say, "And there you have it!"

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                        Working...
                        X