X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Jones
    replied
    Ivan
    I could not find Rockport on the original Nebraska land surveys for the area done about 1856. and the town seems to have been more or less abandoned by 1882. I found on reference to Rocksport (washington co) in the Nebraska History Magazine Vol. 59 page 621. I gave my copies back to the Society when I left Nebraska so you will have to look up the reference to see what it says. Rockport was so small and of such short duration it did not get mentioned in Nebraska Place Names.
    That looks like all the help I can be
    Carl

Leave a comment:

• Carl Jones
    replied
    Ivan
    last night I was working from memory, which show you why folklore can be close but not always right on.
    I didn't find Rockport in Andrus. and the reference to the Fort Benton site is not cached.
    How ever I did find Rockport in the 1882 map of the Missouri River. It was in a USGS site. It was crowded between the river and the bluffs below fort Calhoun. and labled "former site of the village of Rockpport" Ponca Creek entered the Missouri on the lower edge of the town. One of the settlers name also appear on the high ground northwest of the site I didn't write it down might be 'Bowers". On the current navigation charts there is both and "Upper RockPort Bend mile 633 and a lower Rockport bend mile 632" You can find both of these maps on the internet. The navigation maps are the Rulo to Sious City set. the Omaha office of the Corps had a set which I had copied when I was at the Nebraska State Historical Society.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Jones
    replied
    Ivan
    last night I was working from memory, which show you why folklore can be close but not always right on.
    I didn't find Rockport in Andrus. and the reference to the Fort Benton site is not cached.
    However I did find Rockport in the 1882 map of the Missouri River. It was in a USGS site. It was crowded between the river and the bluffs below Fort Calhoun. and labled "former site of the village of Rockport" Ponca Creek entered the Missouri on the lower edge of the town. One of the settlers name also appear on the high ground northwest of the site I didn't write it down might be 'Bowers". On the current navigation charts there is both an "Upper RockPort Bend mile 633 and a lower Rockport bend mile 632" You can find both of these maps on the internet. The navigation maps are the Rulo to Sioux City set. the Omaha office of the Corps had a set of the 1882 maps which I had copied when I was at the Nebraska State Historical Society. Rockport was located astride of the Washington and Douglas County line. So you would have to search in both counties for any information. I am in Colorado and when I get home I will look at my indexes for the Nebraska historical Quartley it might have something.

My reference last night to a Rockport south of the platte was a foggy memery the town is Rock Bluffs. I may have a couple of other suggests of places to look when I get home

Carl

Leave a comment:

• Carl Jones
    replied
    Ivan
    I don't know if this will help. If I remember right on the old State highway between Florance and Ft Calhoun there is a town called Rockport. but is is too far inland to be a river port. I would check the Washington or Dodge County Nebraska histories. as theres are the most like sources. If you can fine Andrus's History of Nebraska it would be a good place to start also. I have been up the river road between Florance and Ft Calhoun and there is no real place for a town in that stretch except in the flood plain.
    There is another river port named Rockport with a grain elevator south of the mouth of the Platte River and north of Nebraska City. There is a third RockPort in the northwest corner of Missouri.
    utah river rat

Leave a comment:

• Francis Nash
    replied
    Mr S

A couple of suggestions. I would first investigate is the Overholser Research Center in Ft Benton. Their researchers have tracked every packet that docked at the Ft Benton levee. They are developing a database of passenger lists; they have freight and fares records of many packets going up and down. It is the overall best source of data, both primary and otherwise, of Missouri River commerce. Rockport does not appear to be far upstream so the Ft Benton data would probably miss much of the earlier Rockport traffic.

My ancestors from Georgetown, PA worked on the Missouri as early as 1852. I do not know how far up the river they streamed at that time. Still researching. After the Civil War, they visited Ft Benton multiple times. I have a family journal of a trip up the Missouri in 1869, but it does not begin till Yankton. I compared it to a clerk’s journal on the Henry M Shreve. See link to comparison.

Comparison of Two Journals Georgetown Steamboats

Another journal by Capt Thomas Stevenson Calhoon, as clerk of the Amelia Poe in 1867, can be found in “The Ewing Family Papers, Thomas S Calhoon Papers. Box 5" at the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh.

If I locate any other journals, I will let you know.

Good luck with your project.
    Fran Nash

Leave a comment:

• Diaries and Journals- Need Help With Historical Research Project

My name is Kent Steinke. I live in Kansas City, Missouri. For several years now I have been writing a historical narrative about events that happened on the Nebraska frontier in territorial days, based on the story of my great-great-great grandparents.

In the phase of the story that I am now writing I am trying to put together a narrative of a vanished Nebraska river town which was called Rockport. Rockport was four miles north of Florence, Nebraska, and about eight land miles from De Soto, just north of the Washington County line. No-one has ever put together a narrative of Rockport, and so I am having to do intensive research in untapped and often [previously] unknown sources, piecing this part of my book together line by line and fragment by fragment.

Rockport was (as the name sounds) for at least a few years an important Missouri River steamboat landing. So, here's an idea I came up with. If I can track down every extant diary of steamboat captains, clerks, mates, pilots, deck hands, etc. I would likely be able to find references to when they stopped at Rockport, or when they picked up cargo and passengers there.

In the process of exploring this I was informed that there is no central respository for diaries of members of steamboat crews, or passenger manifests, that generally these are scattered in various museums, without much organization. Either that or still in private hands.

Here's what I need. If anyone who reads this is aware of the existence of a primary source document from a Missouri River steamboat (particularly one that in its travels passed by DeSoto, Florence, Omaha) I would like to know of the existence of this document. To anyone who reads this I give my permission to share my contact information with any pertinent person who might be able to assist.

Thanks,

Ivan Kent Steinke
    5123 East Truman Road
    Kansas City, Missouri 64127

816-245-5364

e-mail: thelmarosedog@yahoo.com
ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X