Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Delta Queen making midnight runs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jennifer Lemmon
    replied
    It's always nice when Barb shows up on the boat to help polish the brass because when she can, she always entertains with a caliope concert. Jo Ann, Barb, Phillip, Pat (2) (and any others I leave out) thank you so much for taking your time and money to drive down to the Delta Queen and do all that maintaining labor for free. Your love and work help keep her in tip top shape, and I know that Captain Harry loves having you there helping keep her history of her time on the river alive.

Leave a comment:

• ed frazier
    replied
    Happy days

Now the next step is to see the paddlewheel turn heading out of Chattanooga.

Leave a comment:

• Pat Traynor
    replied
    Good News! The Legendary Lady has her voice back! I don't know when it happened, but some river rats are staying at the hotel this week, and yesterday I got a wonderful phone call with Barb Hameister playing "The Delta Queen Waltz". They heard the whistle blow, so went running to the calliope.

I don't know if they have a set time to blow the whistle, as right now they only do one tour a week on Saturday - 4:30 PM I think. They also don't have a regular calliopist, that I know of, so Barb plays when she's there, and I suppose if anyone else comes along that can play, they would be allowed to do that.

Leave a comment:

• ed frazier
    replied
    There is nothing better to keep you safe.

Sometimes we need some ghosts around to keep things in order. Boats have spirits of their own, Could be I heard the ghost of the DQ calling us to get onboard to ride again.

Leave a comment:

• inactive user 02
    replied
    Dave,

If there were any way in the world I could do it...I'd be there in a heart beat!

Travis

Leave a comment:

• David Dewey
    replied
    Travis,
    I got the "joke" so not all of us got worried!
    Hmm, PAID job, too far for you to commute, I suppose?
    David

Leave a comment:

• inactive user 02
    replied
    Cap,

My statement was a joke between Phillip and I. I was not intonating no one played it or anything bad was happpening to the boat at all. I should have sent it as a private message to Phillip. I am sorry to cause concern.

Travis

Leave a comment:

• Capt Mike
    replied
    Travis, Like Phillip said the Delta Queen has had steam on her ever since she arrived at Chattanooga, and a hired calliope player plays the instrument 3 times a week.

Leave a comment:

• inactive user 02
    replied
    Who knows who will play the calliope and when? Even some of the old timers might show up!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Penta
    replied
    Originally posted by ed frazier View Post
    I know this is late with this question, but I remember when Discovery Channel was here to film the Ghost Lab. I don't live too far from the railroad museum near the river. Well, There was about 2 different nights about 1 AM when I heard a whistle blow. This whistle didn't sound like the steam locamotives that operate regularly, it was a deep and very beutiful sound. I didnt think too much more on it, until I was listening to the whistles of the steamboats. When I got to the Delta Queen I was positive that whistle I heard was hers. Also, on the news that week they talked about the filming and were showing footage of the DQ running with her stack down. When they showed the paddlewheel it did't look like the films of when she came to Chattanooga, about a forth of the wheel was dark or black from where it looked as though it had not been turned in a long while. If there are any midnight runs, someone let me know. I want to ride too.
    Ed, and everyone,

The five hundred pound gorilla in the room that nobody has mentioned ......

Capt Mary is takin' her out for a spin every once in awhile.

(cue the spooky music).

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Johnson
    replied
    Ed, The Delta Queen always has steam on her. During the winter the steam is used primarily to heat the boat and supply heat to the galley equipment, so it is kept at a low pressure. Last November there were some engineers aboard who helped me get her "winterzied" so to speak. The steam lines running to the calliope and whistle were shut off, drained and blown out with air to prevent from freezing.

Here before long when it's warm enough to not worry about freezing again we'll put steam back in those lines and her whistle and calliope both with be heard at the end of eveyr public tour. Tours are usually Friday's and Saturdays at 4:30 pm.

Leave a comment:

• Pat Traynor
    replied
    When I find out, I'll try to remember to post it here. March 17 - 22 a few of us 'river rats' will be staying on the boat - come visit and get acquainted.

Pat

Leave a comment:

• ed frazier
    replied
    Thanks, I never had an answer to this. When they do allow her to have steam I hope to know so I can be there to hear her sing again.

Leave a comment:

• Pat Traynor
    replied
    The DQ hasn't had any steam at all since last November, when a group from this board donated their time and expertise to get her ready for winter. One of them can post and tell us what they did, as I don't understand it very much.

I'm hoping the steam will be restored soon, as she needs to get her voice back again
    Any news on when that might happen guys?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Reynolds
    replied
    Ed, as Travis pointed out the boat has no Certificate of Inspection and cannot run at all under current conditions. We all wish that were not the case.

I do know that they maintain steam at a reduced pressure/volume to have heat, play the calliope and occaisionally blow the whistle. Though I rather doubt they would be blowing it at 1:00 am, you never can tell! Another possisbility is that there is some factory or other plant that has a Lunkenheimer whistle just like the DQ's (that is a stock whistle) that you are hearing. Atmospheric conditions do funny things with steam whistles -- that whistle you hear may only be audible under certain conditions.

In any case, the DQ has not run since being tied up at the wharf in North Chattanooga.

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X