New Steamer by L. E. Fry, Clayton, NY, 1910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Steamer by L. E. Fry, Clayton, NY, 1910

This is a new thread showing pix of my "new" steam launch. Pix are from Lake Eustice and Dora Canal in Florida and photos by John Schiffer last week. Cap'n Walnut
    Attached Files

Cap'n Walnut.......is MISSIE jealous of this new "gal" in your life. To bad the creeks up or I am sure you'd have company looking to deck for you this weekend.

Hope we see you and your new lady friend on the river soon.

Aaron

Comment

Aaron: MISSIE is giving me the silent treatment! Donno when we will be on the river but I hope it is soon! Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Yahoo! Have you got her home yet? Time for another Licking River Caper

Comment

Wow,
          She's a beauty, Cap'n! -- Even if there's blue paint on her! ;)
          I hope Missie doesn't blow a mud drum over her!
          S'
          David D.

Comment

David: At least it is blue and not blew! MISSIE is blue too...mud drums intact, though...so far!

John: MISS BLUE won't get her new rod 'til late this week...then a sneak trip to Big Bone for a shake-down. I ran her a bit in Florida but had trouble keeping up steam...I cannot see into the firebox I'm firing! She burns wood. THEN, a trip up the Licking or ???...Cap'n Walnut

Comment

A wood-burner, eh? I'll be keeping a watch on the Rabbit Hash horizon for tiny puffs of steam and my ears open for the sounds of a strange steam whistle in the valley.

Comment

Sam: You on watch all week? Last time (July 3, 09; 'bout 3PM) I blew for the GVII, she dozed right on thru it! The "new" whistle is a Cedric Witham, Laconia, NH.ca 1988.

Comment

Lord Willing, I'll be keeping the daylight covered through the 12th of August. All the excitement is on the inside expect for Thursday thru Sunday when the outdoors Tiki Deck (4th) is jumping; so unless someone notifies the Knowledge Box, such grand events, as your esteemed presence, could go unappreciated.

Comment

A HA Cap'n... You bought Harry Card's Blue Boat. I have video of it running on the St. John's river before Harry acquired it. Harry had a similar but a little larger launch which he named "Oliver" and also dating from 1910. It's now owned by someone else here in Florida. Harry built the boiler on your boat, I believe.

Harry Card built several steam boats including my sternwheeler "Silver River Queen" which has now been dismantled. However, her engines and paddlewheel are going to a new boat that is now under construction. (No name has been chosen so I'm open to suggestions.) A new boiler is currently under construction with delivery coming hopefully in early September. If you have a copy of our video "Iron Crowns & Paddlewheels" you can see the SRQ in operation. It's the last boat in the video. A photo of the SRQ from Harry with his comments is included below.

Harry was retired from the Silver Springs attraction in Ocala where he had been in charge of maintenance, including their famous glass bottom boats. In the late 1990's he arranged for a couple of steamboat meets on the Silver River which runs 8 miles from Silver Springs to the Oklawaha River. We did a video of one of those meets as well.

There were commercial steamboats on both of those rivers many years ago and they were very odd looking steamers with inboard paddlewheels.

Harry passed away in March but his boats live on.

Hope you get many years of enjoyment from the Blue Boat.

-Jim Herron
                    Attached Files

Comment

As much as it pains me....

I gotta ask ...a fine Kentucky gentleman lovingly strokin' a yankee boat from, hold your breath... New York ? An area of the country, Clayton New York, a tourist trap it is, full of people that don't have a clue about condensing steam...

yet the town is just a cough, a mere stones throw from Sodus, New York, great people live in Sodus, ya know, or so I've been told (Clayton and Alexandria Bay, THE two places to go on the Seaway in the summer are a little more than halfway from Sodus to our cabin...) So it can't be too bad of an area, about as far from New York City as you can get and still be in New York...

The ultimate Great Lakes outflow, the mighty Saint Lawrence Seaway, flowing fast, real fast right past Clayton , but what the frit does that have to do with brown water. This water ain't brown, kinda greenish blue, day in and day out...and we're talking big bass and pike here, ain't gonna find Asian Carp or Catfish here... Are you sure your new boat will understand this new, this new... brown?, especially being in Florida so long? But, she's from a great pedigree area, should help a bit with the confusion, keep in mind the Edmund Fitzgerald powered by Clayton many times, good ancestry, should help...but can she understand "right descending bank"?

Clayton is a great, little quaint, picturesque town, a tourist trap but fun nonetheless...just bustin' your chops my friend...real good beer there...

I wanna ride...damn, she's pretty...

Comment

Tom, think if we scrap the wood and replace it with a few lumps of good ol' eastern Kentucky cannel coal we could get that sucker up on a plane?
                        I really think Harrods Creek would be a perfect stream for a shakedown cruise.

Comment

Jim: If them there alligators in Fla din't make her git up on plane, don't reckon cannel coal will do it!

Harrods Creek sounds good, but I wanna know that her rod is right and tight before I go.
                          Cap'n Walnut...

Comment

Jim: Thanks for your good wishes and, yes, I found out that Harry Card built your paddle-wheel boat. OLIVER is now owned by Bob Good, and it is indeed a near twin in design to my "blue boat", only a little larger. There is no builder's plaque in my boat but after seeing OLIVER with a builder's plaque intact, there is no doubt in my mind what yard it came from. And, yes, Harry built the Roberts style boiler in my boat. I never knew or met Harry, but dealt with his three daughters who were heir to this boat...really nice people. Bob Good was heir to OLIVER and to Harry's machine shop too except for the wood-working equipment. In a trip to Silver Springs, a Cap'n Bob there remembered Mr Card not at all until I mentioned that he was in charge of maintenance there. Bob knew him only as "Harry" and said that he could make any part for their equipment that was needed and unavailable from suppliers. My review of the evidence left behind in the BLUE BOAT is mixed...some was VERY well done and a bit here and there as though he was in a hurry to get 'er done. There is a marvelous mixture of brass, black iron and galvanized in the same run of piping! Going to have to be careful with boiler treatment to keep all that galvanic activity to a minimum. Best of luck with your project with the new boiler. Cap'n Walnut.

Comment

Did someone say Licking River trip? Did I hear Harrods Creek Run? Must be these old ears longing for the sounds and smells of his former steam-powered home!

Where is the ticket booth? How much? Need a Riverlorian? Does that thing have a calliope?

Travis

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X