Boatel DELTA QUEEN Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boatel DELTA QUEEN Question

Yesterday Kenny Howe and I were talking and he said that over this past weekend someone told him that the DELTA QUEEN has to have steam up as a boatel. In order to have steam they are firing the Number 1 boiler (we understand that the #2 boiler has too many leaky tubes). Here are the questions.....is it true they are firing a boiler? What pressure are they maintaining? What happens to the used steam (are they working the condenser or exhausting the steam overboard or into the bilge?) What are they using for fuel? Oil or, rumor has it, natural gas?
    Curious minds want to know.

The owners are firing one of the boilers to run the laundry, the calliope and whistle, and a few other things. They have a natural gas burner on the boiler. It sits directly on top of the original Bunker C burner and can apparently be removed at a moment's notice to use the old burner again. It is also fully automated, using some sort of computer and monitoring system to keep it running perfectly. It produces about 60 pounds of pressure, of which around 30 makes it back to the calliope.

Comment

I wouldn't think that a 1912 pre WWl naval destroyer boiler would make a very effecient laundry boiler. Seems to me its a pretty big fire box to make a little steam. Like one calliope player said "think how many BTU's it takes to get steam to the calliope on the DELTA QUEEN".

Comment

From the DELTA QUEEN Hotel - I believe the kitchen is also run with steam. Not the perfect system I suppose, but right now it's all we have.
        I've had the pleasure of spending a few nights at the DELTA QUEEN Hotel, as she's now officiallly called. I have to say, that although I didn't expect a lot, it's been a wonderful experience - the old gal still has that wonderful aura that reached out and grabbed all of us at some point in our lives. The new management is doing a wonderful job of keeping her alive. There is a group of 'river rats' planning a stay September 10 - 14. Come join us! Contact Charlene Corris at histours@aol.com.

Pat

Comment

Pat, folks, I just returned from the Delta Queen, from the great crewmember reunion, yes the boiler is being operated (no. 1) with natural gas, to supply the galley, calliope, whistle and heat the water. It is extremely efficient! I, along with several others have been working with Captain Phillips on a volunteer basis to help keep the DQ in top condition, and she is! I implore all of us who have supported the old boat to AT LEAST go spend a few nights aboard, and help promote and generate the much needed revenue she needs to survive...As the former Captain, I can honestly report she is in tip top condition and ready to sail, indeed, my wife Myra and I felt as we were just waiting to leave port and really had to ask ourselves each time we left the boat what time was departure! Please show your support by spending a night or two aboard, and if we get a group of FRNs together, my wife Myra and I will be there! Please come see the old gal at Chattanooga, where Captain Harry and Mr. Sidney have one of the most unique and historical "Boatels" in America!
          Captain Mike Williams

Comment

These FRNs will be there Sept. 9 through the 15th, along with quite a few others. Hope to see you there, Capt. Mike.

Ginnie

Comment

We stopped in Chattanooga on our way back from Florida and paid our respects to the DQ there. I was delighted to find Pat Traynor and Barbara Hameister on board but only stayed a few minutes...needing to get home with my "new" steamer. The DQ looks as good as I have ever seen her but was not in any of the engineering spaces. Some pix when I get a chance...Cap'n Walnut.

Comment

I want to be in on the maiden voyage of your "new" steamer, any tickets available?

Comment

Ditto. And some more info about it, too.

Comment

Jim, Lexie: I am frustrated in that I have been home a week and just got my brother John's pix from the trip. His were the best if only because he was in another boat when we tried it out in Florida on Lake Eustice near Silver Springs. Now that I have them, I cannot remember how to post them! Anyway, the "new" boat was built by L. E. Fry in Clayton, NY allegedly in 1910. It is a wood boat that has been glassed over and rebuilt. It has a new Roberts style water-tube copper boiler that burns wood. The engine is a single cylinder, simple engine non-condensing of about 2-3 hp. Pressure runs to 150 psi. The boat is 22 feet long (MISSIE is 20 feet) and seats six (MISSIE 4). It is steerable from the engineer's station amidship or from the front like an auto. The engine is somewhat unique in that all of the major bearings are sealed ball-bearings including the Stephenson and water pump eccentrics. It has a piston valve which is good from the standpoint of friction loss and ease of shifting into reverse, but more sensitive to hydraulic lock at start-up (needs a good warming with the cocks open). The 17" prop looks to be monel and is of unknown pitch...probably about 25". She has a full-length canopy that folds up front and back for ease of entry. She is currently in dry-dock awaiting a new connecting rod that is to be made by my son who can program and run a CNC milling machine and is prepared to gnaw one out of solid aluminum. The aluminum stock is currently in hand. So it looks like the maiden voyage will not be until next week some time, earliest. All tickets are currently in the hands of scalpers but you two will be given due consideration as crew members... Cap'n Walnut.

Comment

Sounds really neat. Are you keeping MISSIE?

Comment

Lexie: The new boat is not as stable as GRACEFUL was...nor is MISSIE at only an inch difference in beam. However, the new boat is not as "Barrel" shaped as MISSIE and both firm up considerably when heeled over...At least the new one has stanchions to grab when moving from place to place. You will not casually stroll anywhere on either of them! The subject of MISSIE's tenure in this household had NOT yet arisen. My first mate may have a big say in that! Cap'n Walnut

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                        Working...
                        X