DQ ''reunion stay" being planned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruno,

I sincerely hope the intonation of your post is not meaning those of us who can't afford to be there are wrong in our not attending.

Believe me you, if I could be there nothing would hold me back.

However, since I was dumped on the bank back on the 17th of May 2008 I have not had the ability to afford to travel. Much less afford to live...as there aren't many jobs out there for a out of work "Riverlorian" to do.

It has taken me almost a year and a half to reinvent myself to be able to afford to basically live. At this point in my life (45 years old) I am working a manual labor job in basically non-airconditioned places for the same hourly salary I was getting when I was in my twenties. I guess I should offer that I am fortunate I have had the opportunities I have had to do barely do this.

Unfortunately, I am surviving on half the salary I was used to on the boats...and hearing I just might be wrong and have no excuse for not being there...well lets just say, it kinda upset me. Seems since I was "retired" the river community just isn't as interested as they used to be. Unless I have money to afford to be at the things I should be attending.

Travis

Comment

As with Travis, I too, can no longer afford to travel. Heck, we probably couldn't have afforded it in 2008, but we had lots of equity in our home and "Dewey Mountain" So, we became a part of history, which I will never regret.
      Now, however, just today, I found out what is happening with my job. My income is going down 62.5% until I can find another job, or pick up on piano tunings (lousy economy to rely on that!). Still, I'm probably in better shape than Travis, although I have 10 years on him (makes it harder to find work); because I know that they never paid that good on the boats! Even worse than small museum curators.
      Our heart aches when we read of all our friends who will be there--and were there on the SoP trip too. Instead of being on the DQ for our Anniversary this 11th, we'll probably go visit some family to just get out of town--depending on the price of gas!
      So, I know what Bruno was saying, that we'll miss a great time and wonderful people on a wonderful boat--no, a Magical Boat--but it's not because we chose not to!!
      Steamcerely,
      David & Linda Dewey

Comment

Travis and David, and certain others, and you know who you are, my tone was not directed at you at all...trust me, both of you two have DQSC branded on your butts deeper than on my butt and that is saying a lot...

But what irks me is the people that pontificated heavily about saving the ol' girl for the past year and a half. The people that bragged that they knew more about why she "failed" than the rest of us, that we were clueless...

Are these the same people that have yet to spend dime one on her to keep her pristine and viable? Their mouths are quite prolific yet I'm not seeing any money where their mouths are..I apologise to the forum but I'm still doing a slow burn over this...

Comment

Bruno,

In the last 24 hours I have heard from many from this board and many old school steamboaters. It has been my pleasure to get the chance to vent about this.

I don't think people understand the plight of the former crew of the boats. Many of us can't find anything on land that comes close to what we had on the boats. Like you (and many on here) we can't wait till the day overnight steamboating returns to the river. Some former crew have gone to the cruise ships just to be let down at the lack of comraderie out there on the high seas. Most of us have found a job or at least employment. Times are tough...but, we are steamboaters and can weather it through!

It is just frusterating to hear people say something indicating we aren't pulling our weight because we aren't going to be there. Many of us steamboaters would rather do nothing but be there with and for you.....that ability was robbed from us (mis-guided management, ill-planed changes, lack of desire at the end of the game...call it what you want...I call it ROBBERY!)!

Now I will stop ranting and get back to finding my way on land again.

Travis

Comment

Travis,
            Since I have no experience to compare to (my ONLY "cruises" have been on board "our" beloved DQ); but I suspect that one big reason there were/will be!! so many repeaters IS because of the camaraderie in the crew and their very strong appreciation/fellowship with the passengers. I know we felt at home the minute we boarded, and that feeling grew stronger each day, and I am one of the lucky ones to say, each trip. Just seeing the boat waiting for us is always a "coming home" feeling; and that feeling just grows stronger as we greet the "boat people" and finally set foot on the deck.
            I know we all talk about the Hot Dogs, the popcorn, Bingo, sing-a-longs, Pat's impromptu sales (ohh boy, do I know about those. . . .), but it's really the family aboard the boat that counts. Y'all ARE special, and I hope you know how much you are missed as well as the boats.
            I know others don't understand who have never been aboard. And I know homeland security doesn't either. How many of us would give our eye teeth to be able to sit upon the Lazy bench for a few hours and just watch the magic in the pilot house? We're not a danger to the boat! I was privileged to spend many hours in the engine room. mostly talking about the fate of the boats, but always listening to the heartbeat of the engines, and inhaling the wonderful aroma of cylinder oil. Boy if they made a woman's perfume of that, I'd be in trouble!! :)
            The Save the DQ Campaign is trying to gear up again for another "attack" on congress, so sharpen your pencils, pens, typing fingers or dialing skills! Somehow we, ALL of us, have to pull together to get y'all back onboard. If not for our own use, for the future of Steamboatin' and our American Heritage!!
            Steamcerely,
            David & Linda Dewey (and Linda agrees, I'd be in trouble with that perfume--but SHE's not gonna wear it!)
            PS. Bruno, I doubt I'm branded any deeper than you are! BTW folks, another wonderful benefit of Steamboatin'--We'd have never met this wonderful couple (Deb & Bruno) if not for the boats--another life-long friendship started by Steamboatin'!
            Last edited by David Dewey; 09-01-2009, 08:37 PM. Reason: Add PS

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Vasconcelos View Post
              Bruno,

In the last 24 hours I have heard from many from this board and many old school steamboaters. It has been my pleasure to get the chance to vent about this.

I don't think people understand the plight of the former crew of the boats. Many of us can't find anything on land that comes close to what we had on the boats. Like you (and many on here) we can't wait till the day overnight steamboating returns to the river. Some former crew have gone to the cruise ships just to be let down at the lack of comraderie out there on the high seas. Most of us have found a job or at least employment. Times are tough...but, we are steamboaters and can weather it through!

It is just frusterating to hear people say something indicating we aren't pulling our weight because we aren't going to be there. Many of us steamboaters would rather do nothing but be there with and for you.....that ability was robbed from us (mis-guided management, ill-planed changes, lack of desire at the end of the game...call it what you want...I call it ROBBERY!)!

Now I will stop ranting and get back to finding my way on land again.

Travis
              AMEN BROTHER!!! AMEN! The family environment that was fostered between the crew will never compare to anything on land except maybe in a military enviroment. And I'm too damn old to join the Coast Guard...

Comment

My postings here, and on FaceBook, were never intended to be directed toward crew. Geeze, if anybody kept Steamboatin' alive for our enjoyment, it was obviously the crew.

Debbie and I are well aware of the unfortunate present circumstances of quite a bit of the former crew. It has also been suggested that being a passenger, I could never understand what the present non-cruising of the boats means to crew...maybe...not sure I buy that...

My posting was directed toward people, posters on this forum, that financially could "support" the boats, have said repeatedly that they will support the DQ when she "comes back out" (this being pre-Chattanooga), chastise others for not doing enough or doing the "wrong" thing, then, sadly, do nothing themselves toward helping the ol' gal...shame on them...

Travis, as I told you on FaceBook AND above, my post was not directed at you...I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding...

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X