Mississippi Queen Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mississippi Queen Update

Has anyone heard any updates on the MQ moving to Madison? I've heard all of the scrapping rumors....Is she able to run on her own, or have they begun to disable her engine as well? As a native of rivertown Maysville, KY, I've heard rumors of a group trying to get together to bring her to Maysville as well, but not have seen any published reports...Any updates would be great to hear! Thanks!

Originally posted by Todd Williams View Post
    Has anyone heard any updates on the MQ moving to Madison? I've heard all of the scrapping rumors....Is she able to run on her own, or have they begun to disable her engine as well? As a native of rivertown Maysville, KY, I've heard rumors of a group trying to get together to bring her to Maysville as well, but not have seen any published reports...Any updates would be great to hear! Thanks!
    Maysville? Surely a beautiful little town, but where would they put the MQ to make it worth the effort? They already have a wonderful riverfront hotel and with the wall there you wouldn't be able to see the boat from the street.

Paul

Comment

I totally agree with you Paul. They have a hard time filling the hotel on the river, however with the improved boat dock it could work. I was at a cocktail party recently and I overheard the conversation. Because I have been following the fate of our beloved DQ, reading posts all winter, I had to jump in on the conversation. It is obviously a pipe dream and the costs I can only imagine. I attempted to drive by the MQ in NOLA in December and what I could see truly broke my heart. That was the reason for my request for an update on her going to Madison. I'm sure by the looks of the MQ in December it's going to take some major investors to even put her back together, thats why I was asking about her "running status". After reading about the DQ having to continue to have her systems run while she's in Chatanooga, I can only imagine what it would take for the MQ being docked as long as she has. I would like to "Thank" all of the people who continue to post about the DQ, it has been very entertaining and informative for this former River brat. We miss her and her sisters stopping in Maysville and hope to see her back REAL SOON!

Comment

Isn't the CLARE BEATTY, the flagship of Beatty's Navy, sunk at Maysville? Can any of the CLARE be seen above water? Bet the fishing is good around her.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Williams View Post
          That was the reason for my request for an update on her going to Madison. I'm sure by the looks of the MQ in December it's going to take some major investors to even put her back together, thats why I was asking about her "running status".
          As much as it pains me to say, Todd, I can't see the MQ in Madison for the same reasons. Where would they put her and what would be their client base?

Like Maysville, Madison is a wonderful little town. The downtown area is preserved to look and feel the same way it must have in the 40s and 50s. There's a hamburger joint that serves those little "White Castle" style burgers and a real, old school soda fountain. I just love Madison. But it's a little town. If any of the boats were to survive as land based attractions, it would have to be in some metropolis like St Louis or Cincinnatti. Chattanooga maybe.

As I recall Madison, it's on a narrow stretch of the river and the biggest thing that happens there now are the speedboat races. So, I can't see the old girl tied up permanently there. Or anywhere for that matter.

Before I went to work on her, I must confess that I never "got" the MQ. Having worked on the AQ, DQ and the Empress, it just never seemed that the MQ held any attraction for me. But she was my home for most of the 2006 season. That was the year the entertainers never went home (except for a week during the Noro Virus incidents). She kinda grows on you after awhile.

Paul

Comment

is there any new newson the mississippi queen and hows shes doing in nola.

Comment

mississippi queen american queen

it been a some time since we had an up date on these dear ladys .i really love the mississippi queen.

Comment

MQ today

I saw the MQ last week. She's getting so moldy on the exterior that from the distance (on the NATCHEZ), her middle decks look gray, not white. Also, at night only the stern half of the boat is lit, at least to be seen from the distance. You'd be able to put a ball on the bow of the 4th deck and it would roll all the way down to the stern, the stern is so much lower than the bow.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X