An idea how gaining more support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An idea how gaining more support

Folks, As you might guess, I lay awake at night trying to think of ways to SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN. The end of March I sent out emails to each State Headquarters of the VFW and the American Legion. You know the DELTA QUEEN is a veteran of WWII. I asked for volunteers to call each of the headquarters to make sure they got it and would act upon it. I've not been able to get enough volunteers to cover all the calls needed to be made. I have about 10 left if anyone is interested.

In the meantime, I intend to take it a step further. I have started making calls to the local VFW's and American Legion's. Luckily there are several in my area. A quick two minute phone call this morning to two locations and I have already set up times to attend one of their meetings and give a presentation. I will hand out a short history of her service. I will hand out the cards with the calling tree information on it. I will pass around a petition to be signed. And I will ask that they pass the Resolution in support of the exemption.

How easy is this? Many communities have a VFW and/or American Legion. Even if your representative voted for the exemption, these folks have friends and relatives in other areas that they can call and ask for support and ask them to call their Representative and Senator.

What's it take? One evening for a few minutes to SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN is nothing.

So see, there is something for everyone to do. Look in the phone book under Veteran of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. Make that phone call. Ask for support. It's so easy.

You can also join your local Coast Guard Auxiliary unit and become a USCG "insider" at your local unit, these local units/flotillas belong to regional divisions that are overseen from a district that reports to a national... you can see how a small ripple can can over time become a wake, then a wave...

US Coast Guard Auxiliary - Flotilla Finder - Auxiliary Unit Directory

Your local "private" yacht clubs usually have regualr social events/meetings- seek out the fellow mariners support. I used Google to find these, and emailed the commanders of the largest and most well known clubs, so there may be many that have already been exposed to the issue, but will need the local DQ supporter to stop by and say a few words at the next meeting. What about your local club?

Toastmasters- What can you say about saving the Delta Queen in your two minutes at the podium?

Comment

Working on the VFW/Legion

Originally posted by Jo Ann Schoen View Post
      Folks, As you might guess, I lay awake at night trying to think of ways to SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN. The end of March I sent out emails to each State Headquarters of the VFW and the American Legion. You know the DELTA QUEEN is a veteran of WWII. I asked for volunteers to call each of the headquarters to make sure they got it and would act upon it. I've not been able to get enough volunteers to cover all the calls needed to be made. I have about 10 left if anyone is interested.

In the meantime, I intend to take it a step further. I have started making calls to the local VFW's and American Legion's. Luckily there are several in my area. A quick two minute phone call this morning to two locations and I have already set up times to attend one of their meetings and give a presentation. I will hand out a short history of her service. I will hand out the cards with the calling tree information on it. I will pass around a petition to be signed. And I will ask that they pass the Resolution in support of the exemption.

How easy is this? Many communities have a VFW and/or American Legion. Even if your representative voted for the exemption, these folks have friends and relatives in other areas that they can call and ask for support and ask them to call their Representative and Senator.

What's it take? One evening for a few minutes to SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN is nothing.

So see, there is something for everyone to do. Look in the phone book under Veteran of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. Make that phone call. Ask for support. It's so easy.

I am a member of the Forest Lake American Legion post#225 and have been working some through there.

I am also working with my House Rep. Michelle Bachmann (MN dist. 6) to forward our (Minnesotans for the Delta Queen) petition to Pardon the Delta Queen to President Bush.

I am also working on our Senators, Coleman and Klobuchar.

Forrest

Comment

GREAT JOB!!! And I hope there are thousands of other Minnesotans doing the same! Keep up the good work!

I recently got an envelope from some kind lady in New Richmond, Ohio. She said she picked up a blank petition in the Cincinnati Public Library. She sent in 123 new signatures!!!!

Anything and everything we all can think to get the word out until the job is done!

As Vicki says, "CHARGE"!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
        Working...
        X