Plan A-1 failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan A-1 failed

To update everyone Representative Mister Steve Chabot is certainly giving it the good old college try. Today the Coast Guard Reauthorization Bill came on the floor for a vote. As a last ditch effort by Mr. Chabot one of our supporters made a motion that the amendment be added to the bill #2830 while it was on the floor.

I tuned into C-Span just as Mr. Chabot was ending his remarks and got to hear Mr. Oberstar's. (More on that later). When the chairman took a voice call the aye's and nay's were neck and neck. He tried to say the nay's had it, but of course, a vote was called for. It was neck and neck down to the wire. However, the nay's won and so we're still in the fight with the House. However, folks it's much, much closer than I ever imagined! The vote was something like 204 to 192 or something like that. I was so excited, my heart was pounding so hard, I was hyperventilating!

There were around 15 Democrats that voted for it. We have 12 Democrat co-sponsors. Only a few more and we'll be over the hump. CALL your Representatives office TODAY!!!!!!!! And again tomorrow!!!

Now to Mr. Oberstar's remarks. I will only tell you what he said and let you be the judge. First of all, he did bring up the steamboat fire that killed 1,700 people, but did admit it was back in the 19th century. Then he again compared it to not allowing unsafe 747's to fly.

Folks, our path is clear! The fight has just begun and we are so close to
    V - I - C - T - O - R - Y!!!

TELL EVERYONE you see to CONTACT their representative NOW!!!! Don't delay. The day to SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN is TODAY!!!!!!!

The exact numbers are: yes - 195, no - 208 (votes in favor of the Delta Queen: 22 Democrats, 173 Republicans).

(if you're curious how I can know this: I watch C-SPAN over the Internet, even here in Germany ;-)

Comment

If you want to know whether your representatives has voted for or against the Delta Queen, check here: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll222.xml
      (be patient, the page is loading very slowly).

Comment

I just had a VERY nice phone call from Baron Hill's office, of Southern Indiana. His assistant called to let me know that he had supported the amendment be attached. I was totally surprised. But very pleasantly. Diligence did payoff.

Comment

14 votes short of a win seems pretty doable to me but can we get the issue raised again, perhaps at a time that Mr. "O" is going on a junket or something?

I'm surprised by a couple of the votes. First, my congressman, Michael Bilirakis (R) who represents north Tampa and part of Pinellas County, FL voted for it. This tells me the contacts I made with his aide were successful. But on the other side, Kathy Castor (D), who is from Tampa, voted against it and I talked to her aide plus sent the package of info to her. I am going to thank him and send her more stuff to consider.

Comment

Maryland my Maryland?

Not sure why Van Hollen and Hoyer voted against? I'll keep working on it.

Wesley

Comment

Votes against may be from representatives who need Oberstar's co-operation for other issues. Sad to say, but this guy has LOTS of power. Congress does NOT work the way the founding fathers wanted, nor not likely the way We the People would like it to either. I am willing to bet that this whole issue would go away if we had MONEY to throw at it.
              S'
              David D.

Comment

It does look as if a little partisan politics is going on. Way more Republicans than Democrats voted for it. And vice versa. My Republican Rep. voted for it. This certainly verifies, in my opinion, that it is really, really not an issue of safety. Not at all. No matter what they say. At least we're making some headway, though.

Comment

Not voting?

Those in the not voting section, is that due to absence or not participation? Just curious, my local rep was a non voter.

Comment

I've just posted an article at save-the-delta-queen.org which contains the transcript of Mr. Oberstar's speech in the House opposing the Delta Queen exemption: "Rep. Oberstar’s manipulatory tricks in his Delta Queen speech on the House of Representatives". The transcript comes along with comments showing how Oberstar was perverting the facts.

Comment

I may be a little behind, but is there not anyone supportive in the Congress who is also able to speak out as Oberstar does to counter his clearly ridiculous claims? If congress continues to hear his ONE side of the story...I fear the ole girl doesn't stand a chance. Anyone who doesn't know anything about her would easily go along with his claims. They may sound outrageous to us, but when put in such a manor as he did, it sounds legit. Her voice needs heard on the floor!

Phillip

Comment

Phillip,

Rep. Chabot also had 5 min to speak. But as he was (and of course still is) supporting he was to speak first. He clearly pointed out the facts and safety features of the DQ.

Carmen

Comment

I didn't realize Great Lake boats were exempted from the Safety At Sea Act by default. I thought that is why the NORTH AMERICA and SOUTH AMERICA ceased operations in the late 60's. As Dale says, "what do I know".

Comment

I am sure that the Delta Queen is pretty near the end. Like all OLD LADIES you eventually have to say good-bye and let them go to heaven. It is sad, but I am sure that IF they save vital parts from the original DQ that a newer and nicer one can be made. AND a boat that meets coast gaurd specs. We had 82 years to enjoy her and I am looking forward to giving her one heck of a send off!!

Comment

SOLAS (version from 1974 which is applicable for the Delta Queen as the Safety at Sea Act referrs to it) includes an exemption for Great Lakes ships: "Except as expressly provided in Chapter V, nothing herein shall apply to ships solely navigating the Great Lakes of North America and the River St. Lawrence as far east as a straight line drawn from Cap des Rosiers to West Point, Anticosti Island and, on the north side of Anticosti Island, the 63rd Meridian."
                              (see the full text of SOLAS here: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/d...s/1983/22.html)

I'm not absolutely sure though whether that means Great Lakes ships might have a wooden superstructure. The Safety at Sea Act from 1966, in addition to including the regulations from SOLAS, is also explicitely requiring construction with fire-retardant material. But is also says: "The structural fire protection provided on these vessels shall conform to the requirements set forth in regulations for a vessel contracted for on or after May 28, 1936."

As always in cases like this, we probably need a lawyer to explain what this means exactly.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X