Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can't trust the Trust

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    You can't trust the Trust

    Just when I thought that I couldn't become any more cynical about human nature and the political process ....

    I have received an e-mail from a politically-connected DQ supporter who says that the reason that the National Trust for Historic Preservation has been dragging its feet about the DQ issue is that Trust president Richard Moe is a close personal and political friend of Jim Oberstar, and he has ordered his subordinates not to get involved. When I first read that, I thought that I was going to have a heart attack. The leader of the American preservation movement is intentionally disregarding a truly unique historic treasure for the sake of his ties to the Washington good-ol'-boy network. This explains the response that one of us (I think it was Jo Ann or one of her friends) got from the Trust's Washington office last fall: "The Trust doesn't get involved in union-management conflicts." The boss had so ordered, to cover his buddy.

    My initial reaction was that Raelynn and I should resign from the Trust in protest, but then I thought the better of it; we will be more effective fighting for the cause within the organization. I am writing to Moe to demand that he change course (ha-ha); I also am writing to Board of Trustees Chairman J. Clifford Hudson to ask that he direct Moe to reverse his policy on the DQ, or remove him from office for betraying the principles of the organization.

    All of you who are Trust members should do something similar. Hudson's address is:

    Mr. J. Clifford Hudson
    Chief Executive Officer
    Sonic Corporation
    300 Johnny Bench Drive
    Oklahoma City, OK 73104

    Dave V.

    #2
    Wow David. This revelation speaks volumes!! Need I say more.


    Originally posted by David Vrooman View Post
    Just when I thought that I couldn't become any more cynical about human nature and the political process ....

    I have received an e-mail from a politically-connected DQ supporter who says that the reason that the National Trust for Historic Preservation has been dragging its feet about the DQ issue is that Trust president Richard Moe is a close personal and political friend of Jim Oberstar, and he has ordered his subordinates not to get involved. When I first read that, I thought that I was going to have a heart attack. The leader of the American preservation movement is intentionally disregarding a truly unique historic treasure for the sake of his ties to the Washington good-ol'-boy network. This explains the response that one of us (I think it was Jo Ann or one of her friends) got from the Trust's Washington office last fall: "The Trust doesn't get involved in union-management conflicts." The boss had so ordered, to cover his buddy.

    My initial reaction was that Raelynn and I should resign from the Trust in protest, but then I thought the better of it; we will be more effective fighting for the cause within the organization. I am writing to Moe to demand that he change course (ha-ha); I also am writing to Board of Trustees Chairman J. Clifford Hudson to ask that he direct Moe to reverse his policy on the DQ, or remove him from office for betraying the principles of the organization.

    All of you who are Trust members should do something similar. Hudson's address is:

    Mr. J. Clifford Hudson
    Chief Executive Officer
    Sonic Corporation
    300 Johnny Bench Drive
    Oklahoma City, OK 73104

    Dave V.

    Comment


      #3
      Yes, David, it was I that received the response from the Trust. Besides being at flood stage at work I have literally been sick (headaches the last few days). I'm ready to blame it on my frustration over the campaign to SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN. You did hit the nail on the head when you said "you can't trust the Trust". I too am a member and you can rest assured that when this fight is over unless they get on board with us I will be withdrawing my membership from them. I have in front of me addresses to write other Trustees and various other letters - unfortunately, the job does have to come first. It pays for my trips on the DELTA QUEEN!!!!

      Comment


        #4
        David V,
        Do you have his email and FAX numbers? How about the other directors?
        How about getting Paul Harvey to run with this??? HELP!!!!
        S'
        David D.

        Comment


          #5
          Here is a list of the Board of Advisors of the National Trust (as of January 31, 2007): Vicki Webster sent me this list just yesterday. Unfortunately I don't have fax numbers yet. If you find out contact data of any of these people, please e-mail to me, I'll compile a list with the fax numbers, e-mail addresses etc - what ever contact data we're able to collect.

          According to the Trust's website, the purpose of the Board of Advisors is “to increase the National Trust’s direct contact and communication with state and local constituents.”

          Please, contact the advisors in your state!
          The ones who live in River states should be especially responsive to letters from "state and local constituents."

          Alabama
          Alice M. Bowsher
          D.D. Martin

          Alaska

          Vacancy

          Arizona

          Linda L. Mayro
          James W. McPherson, III

          Arkansas
          Cheryl Griffith Nichols
          Debbie W. Shea

          California

          Susan Brandt-Hawley
          Luis G. Hoyos, AIA
          Timothy P. Whalen

          Colorado
          David S. Cohen
          Sally H. Hopper

          Connecticut
          Preston Maynard
          Anita L. Mielert

          Delaware

          Mary Jane Elliott
          Joan Harwood Hazelton

          District of Columbia
          Ronnie W. McGhee
          Kathryn S. Smith

          Florida

          Marion M. Almy
          George T. Neary

          Georgia
          Mark C. McDonald
          Eugene L. Surber, FAIA

          Hawaii
          Lani Ma'a Lapilio

          Idaho

          Terri A. Schorzman

          Illinois
          Paula Robinson
          Ronald L. Thomas, AICP

          Indiana
          Kevin Krulewitch

          Iowa
          Dan Tindall, AIA

          Kansas
          K. Vance Kelly, AIA

          Kentucky
          David L. Morgan

          Louisiana
          James R. Logan
          Saidee W. Newell

          Maine
          James M. Day
          Edward A. Hobler

          Maryland
          Harrison B. Wetherill, Jr.

          Massachusetts
          Marita Rivero
          Valerie Talmage

          Michigan
          Frank Ettawageshik
          James A. Turner

          Minnesota
          Roger A. Brooks
          Carolyn H. Sundquist

          Mississippi

          Larry L. “Butch” Brown, Sr.
          Beverly T. Meng

          Missouri

          Eric C. Youngberg, AICP

          Montana

          Robert L. Hawks
          Mary G. Oliver

          Nebraska

          Douglas V. Duey
          Maxine B. Moul

          Nevada

          Sue Fawn Chung, Ph.D.
          Melinda J. Gustin

          New Hampshire
          Martha Fuller Clark
          Doris C. Burke

          New Jersey
          Diane Allen
          Ronald Magill

          New Mexico
          Mary Jane M. Garcia
          Ernest W. Ortega

          New York
          Richard S. Hawks
          Anne H. Van Ingen

          North Carolina
          Benjamin F. Speller, Jr.

          North Dakota
          Donald S. Haugen

          Ohio
          Kathleen H. Crowther
          Executive Director, Cleveland Restoration Society
          Sarah Benedict House & Garden
          3751 Prospect Avenue
          Cleveland, OH 44115
          (216) 426-1000
          (216) 426-3105 (direct)
          Fax: (216) 426-1975

          John E. Moore, Jr.

          Oklahoma
          John M. Mabrey
          Mary Ellen M. Meredith

          Oregon
          Richard H. Michaelson
          Mary J. Oberst

          Pennsylvania
          Caroline E. Boyce
          August R. Carlino

          Puerto Rico
          Fernando Lloveras

          Rhode Island
          Karen L. Jessup, Chair
          Richard C. Youngken

          South Carolina
          Vacancy

          South Dakota
          James W. Abbott
          Albert M. LeBeau, III

          Tennessee

          William E. Kennedy, M.D.
          Carroll Van West

          Texas
          Samuel L. Collins, III
          Marcel Quimby, FAIA

          Utah
          Frank R. Pignanelli
          Don L. Stromquist, M.D.

          Vermont
          Elizabeth Humstone
          Robert A. McBride

          Virgin Islands

          Gerville Rene Larsen

          Virginia
          Elaine Dowe Carter
          Harry J. Warthen, III

          Washington
          Joanne H. Moyer
          Michael Sean Sullivan

          West Virginia

          Laura Kurtz Kuhns
          Monica D. Miller, EDFP

          Wisconsin

          Denise L. Hice
          Kori Oberle

          Wyoming
          Kurt Dubbe, AIA
          Alvin Wiederspahn

          Comment


            #6
            Contacting Paul Harvey sounds like a great idea David! Here is his contact information.
            http://www.paulharvey.com/index.aspx?id=3155

            Also, contacting "60 Minutes" would not be a bad idea either. Here is their contact information.
            http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60mi...main3415.shtml




            Originally posted by David Dewey View Post
            David V,
            Do you have his email and FAX numbers? How about the other directors?
            How about getting Paul Harvey to run with this??? HELP!!!!
            S'
            David D.

            Comment


              #7
              Franz --

              The mailing address for Ohio's other Trust adviser is:

              Mr. John E. Moore, Jr.
              13 Lyonsgate
              Bexley, OH 43205

              I don't have a fax # for him.

              Dave V.

              Comment


                #8
                David D. --

                I do know of someone who has Hudson's office fax #, but it was given in confidence by Hudson's secretary. I think that to avoid getting into trouble for publicizing private info, we should just hope for the best from the USPS and the company mail room.

                Dave V.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Richard Moe; just another partisan democrat. (with a good government job)

                  Hello All,

                  Below is some information on our own [Minnesota’s] Richard Moe.
                  He is a life-long Democrat government employee.
                  He is very comfortable in the Trust, cut from the same cloth, fits right in.

                  I have never trusted these big-society, do-good organizations parading around under the Congressional Umbrella.

                  No one paying attention should be surprised.
                  Forrest
                  www.mn4dq.org

                  Richard Moe, former chief of staff to Vice President Walter Mondale and a member of the Carter White House senior staff.

                  He received a law degree from the University of Minnesota and then was an assistant to the mayor of Minneapolis and the lieutenant governor of Minnesota.

                  Moe was chair of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party before coming to Washington in 1972.

                  A native of Duluth, Minnesota, Moe graduated from Williams College in 1959 and from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1966. He moved to Washington, D.C., in 1972 to work as an administrative assistant to then Senator Walter F. Mondale, and was named the vice president’s Chief of Staff five years later.

                  Richard Moe, president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and recipient of the 2007 Vincent Scully Prize, is calling attention to historic preservation’s essential role in fighting climate change.

                  In his Scully Prize acceptance speech, delivered on 13 December 2007, Moe noted that construction and operation of buildings contributes 48% of America’s greenhouse gases—nearly double that of cars, trucks, trains and airplanes—and even construction of the greenest new building contributes to global warming.

                  His latest project is spearheading a public campaign to combat the very modern problem of what he terms “soulless, environmentally disastrous and outrageously expensive” urban sprawl.

                  --------------------------------
                  What expensive and intrusive nonsense.
                  Forrest (editor of the Warren Report newsletter)
                  www.riverwarren.org

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Blow the Whistle!!

                    I believe exposing this scandal to the media, as David Dewey suggests, rather than trying to follow the chain of command would be the best thing that could happen. That's what it took to expose Enron http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron and projects such as Boston's "big dig".
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig...ssachusetts%29 and Niagra Falls' Love Canal.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal

                    We'll probably lose the Delta Queen by refusing to "blow the whistle" on this scandal.


                    Originally posted by David Vrooman View Post
                    David D. --

                    I do know of someone who has Hudson's office fax #, but it was given in confidence by Hudson's secretary. I think that to avoid getting into trouble for publicizing private info, we should just hope for the best from the USPS and the company mail room.

                    Dave V.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Richard --

                      I agree that a media expose could be very effective -- but I think that we still owe Hudson a heads-up before the rocks start flying. That being said, go ahead and start collecting rocks and signing up throwers.

                      And Forrest --

                      Thanks for the Moe bio -- it explains all. But despite the lefty-trendy character of the Trust under Moe (Preservation Magazine these days often makes me, a righty-untrendy, gag), it remains an important potential ally, with a lot more clout than we DQers have on our own. And there are probably are more Trust members (especially older ones) like my wife and me than there are like Moe; indeed, it appears that he has intentially tried to attract new younger members on the left to expand the organization's breadth (the old Trust looked a lot like the Mayflower Society).

                      My point is that yanking Moe's chain is not an impossible task.

                      Dave V.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Maybe we need to give Hudson a chance to come clean. If he doesn't we have the rocks ready. You see what the media expose did to New York's Governor Spitzer. It resulted in his resignation.
                        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080312/...r_prostitution
                        Media exposure of this scandal could save the Delta Queen. We're certainly not going to lose the Delta Queen due to some underhanded dirty dealings!


                        Originally posted by David Vrooman View Post
                        Richard --

                        I agree that a media expose could be very effective -- but I think that we still owe Hudson a heads-up before the rocks start flying. That being said, go ahead and start collecting rocks and signing up throwers.

                        Dave V.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          First, a "Can you believe this?" item: the Trust has chartered the DQ for her "last trip" Nov. 2-8 !! Moe won't let the organization lift a finger to help her, but he's booked the boat, presumably as a reward for some deep-pocket contributors (Raelynn and I are decade-plus Trust members and 5-time DQers, but we were not invited).

                          Second, Richard, it's time to start throwing. The producer of "20/20" is David Sloan....

                          Dave V.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            OK, I was told this last week on the AQ...It was told to me by someone definitely in the know...

                            The last DQ cruise is the October 21st cruise for 10 nights that a chunk of dot.orgers are on. The next cruise, starting the afternoon of Halloween, October 31st, is not a cruise per-se. I was told that the DQ will be escorted, side by side, down the Mississippi by the American Queen from Memphis to NOLA, and the DQ will be sans-passengers, the boat will be carrying only a small crew to get her to NOLA. American Queen passengers will be able to "tour" the DQ at each shore stop.

                            Not sure if I believe this...I was under the impression that the last cruise, October 31st for 7 nights, was a Cornell University charter. When I asked the person that told me the last trip WAS NOT a cruise, that the exemption was good until November 8th, the person corrected me and said the exemption expires at 12.01 am November 1st...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Please feel free to start throwing the rocks. I supplied the contact links to both "60 Minutes" and Paul Harvey. You mention David Sloan at "20/20". It's obvious nothing will be done without someone blowing the whistle on these underhanded dealings. Let's expose this scandal before the Delta Queen is lost forever.


                              Originally posted by David Vrooman View Post
                              First, a "Can you believe this?" item: the Trust has chartered the DQ for her "last trip" Nov. 2-8 !! Moe won't let the organization lift a finger to help her, but he's booked the boat, presumably as a reward for some deep-pocket contributors (Raelynn and I are decade-plus Trust members and 5-time DQers, but we were not invited).

                              Second, Richard, it's time to start throwing. The producer of "20/20" is David Sloan....

                              Dave V.

                              Comment

                              ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X