This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last Cruise is a charter.

The last cruise is a charter. The AQ is following because more people than the DQ could accomodate wanted to be on the charter cruise. The AQ schedule will mirror the DQ and they will be able to visit the boat.

Comment

Just checked the National Trust website (http://www.preservationnation.org/tr...the-river.html) and it says the cruise is on the American Queen, not the Delta Queen; but there will be a gala dinner on the Delta Queen. I'm pretty sure the cruise originally had been announced for the Delta Queen, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Yes, it was most certainly scheduled to be the DELTA QUEEN. I called and questioned the travel department at the Trust myself. I was never lead to believe it was on the AMERICAN QUEEN. The DELTA QUEEN gets into Memphis on Friday, October 31st. She was not scheduled to leave Memphis until Saturday evening, November 1st. The Trust trip did not start until maybe Monday further down river, which I didn't understand. But I was trying to be in the right place at the right time to see the DELTA QUEEN leave on her last trip (which I hope turns into a celebration!).
        Last edited by Jo Ann Schoen; 03-18-2008, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Please be careful what we're saying here. We have members of our grassroots campaign having conversations at this very time with the Trust. Already they have denied our thoughts that President Moe was trying to block the DELTA QUEEN from becoming saved because of his friendship with Mr. Oberstar. We should be able to tell over the next few weeks whether they start having items on their website and in their magazine if it's really true. However, personally I hope that the contacts to 60 Minutes, 20/20, and Paul Harvey brings us the NATIONAL attention we need. I personally have sent emails and letters to these and others and have gotten no response. But again, maybe if enough of us send them letters, emails and faxes they will take notice.

Comment

Yes, Jo Ann, you are right -- prudence is in order here. There are good, dedicated, sincere people at the Trust, and we must be careful not to undercut them by becoming too shrilly aggressive.

On the other hand, I am even more furious than Richard W. about Moe's behavior. I have been personally betrayed by a man and an organization which were central to the things which I love; I plan to spend the last quarter of my life working in historic preservation. My emotional response is not just to throw a rock; I want to grab a torch, gather a mob, and march on the castle.

Working the proper channels is necessary, but probably not sufficient. I am currently writing to all of the 30-plus members of the Trust's board of trustees, but I am dubious of success. My initial assessment of the trustee list is that it is heavily populated by lefty-trendy types, probably hand-picked by Moe. Like many corporate boards of the 1990's, its members owe their positions to the CEO, and they are unlikely to challenge him. Thus, external pressure is probably required. Exposure as just another liberal Democratic lobbying group would be very damaging to the Trust, which no longer receives significant Federal funding and has a lot of conservative Republican contributors. Just having the national press sniffing around should get Moe's attention, in a way that sweet reason will not.

Dave V.

Comment

It looks like the guilt falls primarily on Oberstar and Moe. They are playing the Trust members like pawns. This is what needs to be exposed to the media. Look what the Watergate scandal did to President Nixon! If a scandal could topple even a president, Oberstar is not too big to fall. With Oberstar out of the way, there will be little stopping congress from granting the Delta Queen its needed exemption-possibly a permanent one.

Originally posted by David Vrooman View Post
              Yes, Jo Ann, you are right -- prudence is in order here. There are good, dedicated, sincere people at the Trust, and we must be careful not to undercut them by becoming too shrilly aggressive.

On the other hand, I am even more furious than Richard W. about Moe's behavior. I have been personally betrayed by a man and an organization which were central to the things which I love; I plan to spend the last quarter of my life working in historic preservation. My emotional response is not just to throw a rock; I want to grab a torch, gather a mob, and march on the castle. Dave V.

Comment

Guys, I'm sorry, but I have to close this thread here. If there is a scandal, we don't have any good evidence for that yet. And what we do have doesn't rectify speaking up publicly this way without taking the risk of being blamed for wrong accusations. Please remember, this is a publicly readable forum, not a private conversation behind closed doors. Thanks for understanding.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X