Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Tschiggfrie
    replied
    Listed below is another sample resolution which I have used here on the Upper Mississippi, based on the great examples provided by others who post on this message board. To date, it has been adopted by three groups up here, and I hope to add one more to that list shortly. Let's continue to get the word out!

A RESOLUTION
    Of the City Council of Dubuque, Iowa
    Urging Congress to Provide for the Permanent Exemption
    of the Steamer Delta Queen
    from the Provisions
    of the Safety of Life at Sea Act of 1966

WHEREAS the Delta Queen is a living connection to the culture and history of the Mississippi River and all of its tributaries; and

WHEREAS this steamboat is a national treasure listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Landmark; and

WHEREAS the vessel is an original and the last of her kind, the culmination of the art of steamboat craftsmen, an authentic sternwheel overnight passenger steamboat like those that helped foster the growth and settlement of our nation; and

WHEREAS the Delta Queen has operated safely for eighty years (the last forty of those under extensions previously granted by Congress) and has been updated with fire detection and suppression equipment in addition to her extensive sprinkler system in all public and passenger spaces, employs the use of fabrics treated with NASA-developed fire-resistant materials, is patrolled every twenty minutes at night by fire watchmen, has a crew trained and drilled regularly in emergency evacuation procedures, and is regularly inspected each year by the United States Coast Guard; and

WHEREAS the Safety at Sea Act was written to apply to ocean-going vessels whose routes are remote from land and from other vessels, while the Delta Queen can be safely landed within minutes over the entire route she traverses; and

WHEREAS the steamboat contributes to the economy of the river communities where she is based and where she makes shore stops through the goods and services purchased by her passengers and crew, by the company which owns the vessel, and by the third party businesses which provide the boat and her passengers with amenities and services; and

WHEREAS our nation would suffer an irreparable loss if her operation were suspended, thereby depriving the traveling public the opportunity to enjoy this uniquely American river steamboat experience in current and future generations; and

WHEREAS the very existence of the Delta Queen is now threatened with the expiration of her exemption from the Safety at Sea Act in November 2008:

NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Dubuque encourage the Congress of the United States to act with all due haste and foresight to provide for the permanent exemption of this magnificent and historic vessel from the provisions of the Safety at Sea Act. The Secretary of the City Council of the City of Dubuque is hereby directed to ensure delivery of copies of this resolution to all members of the Iowa Congressional delegation.

Done at Dubuque, Iowa this sixteenth day of December, 2007.

Leave a comment:

• David Tschiggfrie
    replied
    One More DQ Resolution to Report

At the December 12th meeting of the board of the National Rivers Hall of Fame in Dubuque, a resolution supporting an exemption for the DELTA QUEEN was unanimously passed. Board members present directed that the resolution be forwarded not only to Iowa's Congressional delegation, but also to the delegations of all river states in which the DELTA QUEEN cruises. Teri Goodman from the NRHOF/Dubuque County Historical Society has also been in contact with Iowa senators Tom Harkin and Chuck Grassley to elicit their support as well. Finally, the Planning Services Manager in Dubuque, Laura Carstens, an assistant to the City Manager, was directed to research the resolution which I sent to the Dubuque City Council and the City Manager in October, and report back to him for a recommendation. I suggested that Laura watch Jonathan's DVD program for background information (copies are also in the hands of the City Council and Manager) and I expect Dubuque to adopt the resolution within a week. So things are picking up here on the Upper Mississippi! Let's keep up the good work and spread the word in any way we can.

Leave a comment:

• David Vrooman
    replied
    Ted --

In addition to Carmen's post of John's resolution, there is my posting of Jim McDonald's Boyd County resolution (on page 2 of the forum display: "Sample local DQ resolutions" per 9-27-07).

Dave V.

Leave a comment:

• R. Dale Flick
    replied
    Marian, David & steamboating colleagues:
    Marian, I just received a most positive E=Mail here from Councilwoman, Leslie Ghiz, in support of 1st Dist. Rep. Steven Chabot's initiative. Things working and moving on. I returned thanks.

Cheers,
    R. Dale Flick

Leave a comment:

• Carmen
    replied
    Ted,

HereĀ“s the resulution by John Lewis (in this case used by the city of Gallipolis)

http://www.gallianet.net/Gallipolis/...esR2007-19.pdf

Carmen

Leave a comment:

• Ted Guillaum
    replied
    Has anyone posted a sample resolution that could be proposed to a city council on the discussion board that I have missed? A sample resolution might be helpful. Legislators usually have to be spoon fed this stuff sometimes to get them moving.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Herron
    replied
    Congratulations to both JoAnn and Marian on their efforts with Louisville and Cincy. One thing to tell those you are working on for resolutions is that a resolution carries no cost to their cities and, if the DQ is saved, will bring tourists (and their wallets) to town.

Leave a comment:

• Marian Nusekabel
    replied
    David
    I just received an email from Councilwoman Leslie Ghiz. She states,"I introduced a resolution (item #200701156) on November 7 that was referred to committee. I fully expect the resolution to be passed before the Christmas break. Like you, I am committed to preserving this historical Cincinnati tradition."
    Well, so far so good.
    Marian

Leave a comment:

• David Vrooman
    replied
    Way to go, Marian!

Marian --

Your optimism and relentlessness are exactly what will win the day. Cincinnati isn't hopeless. Indeed, Jo Ann just landed Louisville for us; Louisville has the same urban problems that Cincinnati has, and they don't have the extensive DQ ties that Cincinnati has. Of all the DQ's major ports, Cincinnati should be the least difficult. Stay on them.

Gratefully,
    Dave V.

Leave a comment:

• David Dewey
    replied
    Thank you for the compliment. Gee 500large?? Gee, that'd be enough to; a) buy the company, b) Bribe congress
    Oh wait, did I type that out loud??
    (thought we might could use a small bit of humor today, albiet very small!)
    S'
    David D.
    PS The national Landmark status is not completely without value--it's a good emotional tug for many--we gotta use what we've got, especially without MAL's support!

Leave a comment:

• R. Dale Flick
    replied
    Hi, David & steamboating colleagues:
    Great insights, David, in your above posting and thanks! First, I never give up hope in any civic or legislative process. Our civic group here worked for 14 years[!] with local powers to get the new recreation center built just a few blocks away. As in the case of me meeting/talking with the gentlemen over dinner RE: the DQ initiative I was the one presenting and asking questions. They gave me their gut sentiments and opinions from the perspective of people in political arenas and big business. I asked and they replied. So, here was little 'gabby Dale' in a near one-on-one with a group of individuals representing a cool $500,000,000. Not that means everything, but when they talk...you listen and take to heart. I think our one politico with the "Here we go again" was expressing a gut reaction as he thought the issue had been resolved some years ago. "Not in the public domain" comes with strong legal implications. The man meant, I think, that such an effort is on behalf of a for profit corporation and, in essence, why would we being fighting their battles and do we have their full cooperation and approval? Would AMBASSADOR/MAL do it for any of us? The answer is a no brainer. My good friend Jim Reising is correct in recalling the early days of Betty Blake and Bill Muster's classic efforts. Betty was head of the company, had financial resources along with legal counsel and services of another Public Relations consultant dealing with the media and political/legislative initiatives. Betty not only would "write back," she'd get your address/phone number and call adding you to her list of 'volunteers' with, "If you're interested then see you tomorrow with envelopes to stuff and phone calls to make." That was our Betty Blake.

Frank Prudent is oh, so correct from the view of a stockholder. Yet, stockholders at times are the last that a board of directors, CEO's want to know the nitty gritty. I manage a large portfolio here and receive nothing from then other than the annual report with proxy forms to vote. Rather sobering when you realize you are out-voted by another stockholder or board member with thousands of shares and each represents one vote.

The 'National Landmark' designation the DELTA QUEEN carries doesn't mean a thing. The boat is still under ownership and management of a corporation. When you try to mix 'National Landmark' with a privately owned vessel, land structure etc. you've got headaches. I could write a horror story on that alone. No, I learned long ago that the DQ is unknown by more than known. These people we contact mean well in extending a listening ear and help...but they aren't going to get a warm, fuzzy feeling all over. The DQ initiative is but one these people are faced with daily and quickly put in a scheme of priorities. I've written, called, talked...now I'll step back and let the dust settle. Again, I think we ALL want this thing settled and over one way or the other. Well, what do I know?

Cheers, and thanks for posting from way out there,
    R. Dale Flick

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Reising View Post
    Does anyone know if they even sent a letter to the stockholders requesting they contact their representatives?
    I have been an Ambassadors International stock holder since April 2006, and I haven't been contacted for my support by any of the powers that be. Heck, I didn't even get my annual report until 4 days before the shareholders' meeting earlier this year.

Leave a comment:

• David Dewey
    replied
    Dale,
    Yes, most city "fathers" meetings are a tough crowd. One needs to come prepared for combat. Now, I've had the opportunity and the luxury of having some time to think over what you faced, so I'm certain that, in the same situation, I probably would have done the same as you! What we have to do is to rehearse worst case situations before we go "into battle."
    What I think should have been said is something like, "What do you mean "not again"? This has not been an issue since 1970! And why do you think this is "not in the public domain"? What we are asking is for a mis-applied federal public law be corrected to allow a National Landmark to continue to operate, preserving an important piece of American History. The City Fathers of Clarksville, IN, Corydon, IN, Grandview, IN, Hastings, MN, Heritage Ohio, Keokuk, IA, Loveland, OH, Marietta, OH, New Albany, IN,
    Point Pleasant, WV, Red Wing, MN all found this issue to be worthy of passing resolutions in favor of supporting the Delta Queen by asking Congress to extend her exemption from the Safety of Ships At Sea law.
    They all want to save a bit of American History! Do you want to be on record for not supporting the continued operation of the last operating overnight Steamboat on the American Rivers? Not supporting the preservation of a National Landmark so our future generations can have the opportunity to experience this uniquely American experience?"
    I realize this is a one-two punch, first, join the bandwagon; and second, don't destroy American History. Might work???
    And yes, there are seemingly more pressing issues out there, but keeping our history alive in spite of everything going on is also a very worthy cause.
    S'
    David D.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Reising
    replied
    "When Betty Blake and Bill Muster"....that's the thing that is missing in this effort....the boats owners and management. Betty Blake and Bill Muster were the company. They were fighting to keep the company going. I'm afraid that without the stockholders and executives of MAL putting out a 100% effort, the cause is for naught. It sounds to me like they have no intention of running the boat after the 2008 season exemption or not, otherwise they would be spearheading this drive. Does anyone know if they even sent a letter to the stockholders requesting they contact their representatives? I know one thing, if this web site had been in existance in 1970, Muster and Betty would have personnally written to each and every one of us.
    It will be fun to see what MAL does if the boat is granted an exemption.

Leave a comment:

• Marian Nusekabel
    replied
    At Steve Chabot's press conference on October 26, our Councilwoman Leslie Ghiz was present. She promised a Resolution from the City of Cincinnati. I have just emailed her to ask where is it and when will we see it. I have also asked Chabots office to notify her about the promised resolution.
    On the lighter side: We have a new Ch@troom question each week in our Community Western Hills Press. Question was: If you could get anything you want for Christmas, what would it be? MY ANSWER: "If I could have anything I wanted for Christmas I would like for the Transportation Committee in Washington to pass the Bill 3852 extending the life of the Historic Delta Queen Steamboat on our rivers. What a Christmas present that would be!!!!"
    Marian

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X