Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperate Call For Photos

Sorry about the all-caps thread title.

I am in desperate need of photos of the DELTA QUEEN containing the following:

the motto "SAFETY FIRST"
    wooden framing/superstructure of the boat
    Coast Guard certificate of inspection, or the inspection itself
    fire stations aboard the boat and any shots of the passenger/crew drills
    watchmen or key stations
    flame-resistant fabrics used onboard
    onboard fire-detection and sprinkler system

Unfortunately, I am unable (for now) to disclose the usage of these photos. If you are willing to contribute, I assure you that they will used as strictly not-for-profit and in a very supportive way; your contribution will also be credited appropriately. Thanks for your help!

It may take me a bit to sort through- but I will do what I can and email to you. I know I have some of the fire drills and perhaps some of the signage but I would also ask any of our buddies on the boat with a cell phone camera to take a photo of the flame retardant labels on fabrics and email that.

I also think that there are more fire sprinklers per square foot than any other boat on the water.

Comment

Jon, It's sad that I really have no pictures of what you need. However, it seems that you are putting together a full picture of the safety improvements, safety enhancements that have been made to the ol' gal, god's speed with that...

However, I am a little compelled to point out some additional safety items that are not in your list, not as criticism but purely as encouragement.

The full 1 1/2 inch firehoses, in my mind I can see 7 of them on the outside decks of the boat, 4 on the Sun, 4 on the Texas and 3 on the Cabin. I suspect there are a lot more than 7, but that is all my memory remembers...

The large, dry chemical, 10BC-60A hand fire extingushers, all with valid test tags as of this past spring, all tested in NOLA. They are all numbered, the highest number I saw is 41, I suspect that means there are at least 41 of them. And they are everywhere, INSIDE and OUTSIDE on the decks.

The bow, i.e. part of the outside of the boat, and the MAIN EXIT PASSAGEWAY for passengers is also sprinklered. This assures that the last portion of the boat that passengers would have to use to exit in an emergency remains clear. The original purpose of the outside bow sprinklers was for another reason, but they work perfectly well into the safety issues being discussed now.

Absolutely no flame is allowed in interior spaces, save I expect in the galley, even the use of Sterno was abolished last year, and smoking inside the boat was stopped in 2004? All ashtrays outside are of the "windproof" design, as a smoker they are a little bit of a pain to use, but I appreciate how they work and why they are there.

The sprinkler system if activated by a fire will provide a minimum density, a flow quanity of water if you will, that is approximately 56% greater than a sprinkler system typically found in an office or professional building. In some areas of the boat the sprinkler flow density is MUCH higher than even that, such as the Texas Bar and all staterooms. The design of the sprinkler systems in most typical office buildings is layed out at 225 square feet per sprinkler head, but the minimum requirements for the interior spaces of the DQ was one sprinkler head per 144 square feet. I think we can all appreciate that a "G" stateroom even in its best DREAMS will never be close to 144 square feet. :-) And in the true letter of the codes directing the design of sprinkler systems in buildings, sprinkling a one toilet bathroom is not required, i.e. all the stateroom bathrooms do not require sprinklers, yet some of us continue to hit our heads on the sprinkler piping in the bathrooms. And if you count the heads in the Texas, there is a lot of overkil there also, all good. Which when you think about it, this all means that piping and fire pumps serving the sprinklers are all bigger than "normal". However, and this is a BIG however, the Coasties can demand anything up and above "the code" and the code I quote from is for buildings. I know that the sprinkler system on the boat WAS designed per the guidelines of the very same code we use for buildings...

The fact that a hell of a lot of "support structure" on the boat is steel! Between the structure of the Texas and Cabin bows, the support of the Pilot house, all of the structure below the Main Deck, and all the Main deck walls at the Orleans. I suspect there is more...

The water tight compartments in the crew area, with watertight doors that are closed and latched while underway, or so I've been told. Also told that one of the four compartments could flood and the boat would not sink?

I hope and pray this helps you. If I think of more I will add...

And adding by edit...The Star Princess had a fire, a bad one, strictly due to the use of plastic (probably PVC) furniture and balcony dividers. All the furniture on the DQ is cast iron.
      Last edited by Bruno Krause; 10-29-2007, 06:11 AM.

Comment

An addition to the previous list, per Bruno's comments:

photos/drawings of the actual superstructure as containing both wood and steel

This comment comes from the post located at http://www.steamboats.org/forum/show...8&postcount=4:

By the way, the DQ's superstructure is not completely made of wood. Many years ago they built in metal structures within wooden colums to give the structure even more stability and then they wrapped the wood back around the metal (sorry for my bad English explaining this, but I think you get the idea). Yo udon't see the steel, but it's there.

To my understanding that's the best structure a river boat can have: Solid steel stabilizing the structure is protected from melting by slowly burning hardwood covering. And let's not forget the fireretardant paint on the wood all over the DQ: This paint even prevents the wood from burning at all for some time. And wood doesn't melt! So as long as the paint is protecting the wood, the structure is neither burning nor melting.

Can anyone substantiate this claim with evidence?

Comment

Jon, the columns supporting the pilot house are steel surrounded by wood and were added when the access to the pilot house was changed to the wing bridges and the big cabins in the front on the Sun Deck were created. You can see the vertical seams in the wood if you look closely. Basically a wood column was made, then partially hollowed out and cut in half lengthwise, and fitted around steel support columns to hide them and make the columns look like all the other columns on the boat. You can find these "wood columns" in the forward cabin lounge surrounding the steps down to the bow and in the Texas surrounding the bar. The wood seams are very nicely done and you would not see them unless you knew they are there.

I was also told that this idea of perfectly camoflaging steel with period looking wood was the idea of the DQ crew, nobody else.

Comment

Jon, a picture of an outside fire hose and a picture of the hand held dry chemical extingushers in the back of the Texas, note the numbers #39 and #40, with green test approval tags. Notice also the sprinkler head in the background. My thanks to David Dewey for these excellent pictures.
            Attached Files

Comment

Jon, some more showing the steel structure at the bow supporting the cabin deck bow above. Notice the handheld extingusher, the 911 emergency telephone and the sprinklers above. The last pic shows the steel structure supporting the Texas bow. Note the big round columns (right above the "e" in Delta Queen) and the steel beams running the length of the bow, above the columns...and yes they are steel. My thanks to David Dewey and Pat Carr for these pictures.
              Attached Files

Comment

Some more of the same. The first pic, if you look closely you can see at least four fire hoses, at least two 911 emergency telephones and a few fire alarm pull stations. The second pic is a detail of the steel holding up the Texas bow.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for sending my photos, Bruno. I did not realize I had taken some that would help out. Jon, if you need higher resolutions of them, just ask--I will be HAPPY to help out in any way!!
                  Long Live the DQ!!
                  S'
                  David D.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X