Alert! Press Conference at Cincinnati, Friday Oct 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alert! Press Conference at Cincinnati, Friday Oct 26

There will be a PRESS CONFERENCE in Cincinnati on Friday, October 26th, at the Steam boat Park, by the Big Paddlewheel, with U.S. Rep. Steve Chabot, of Ohio, at 12:30 pm. Anyone knowing ANYONE in Cincinnati, ask them to show up with a home made sign to Save the Delta Queen, or We Support Cincinnati's Delta Queen, or other positive signs to let people know we havea lot of support to Save The Delta Queen.

Please call the mayors around Cincinnati, and ask them to call their local Radio Stations, and ask people to show up. You can also call te radion Stations yourself. This will be the first BIG KICKOFF to get National Publicity. This meeting will have feeds to the National Television Staitions and get the coverage we desperately need. PLEASE, put on your thinking cap, and think of any and everyone you know in Cincinnati, or across the River in Kentucky and urge them to show up. We need 1,000 or more people.
    Last edited by Franz Neumeier; 10-25-2007, 01:21 AM.

HereĀ“s a first pre report about the press conference on Friday

http://www.modernagent.com/Resources...l.aspx?n=31808

Carmen

Comment

Carmen & steamboating colleagues:
      Carmen, thanks for this timely posting RE: the PRESS CONFERENCE this Friday as per above on the DELTA QUEEN initiative. Rep. Steve Chabot's phoned me the other day 'touching bases' over my communication previously by letter along with the request for "other insights." A flood of communications have come in from all over the country, according to my sources.

Mike Jones, S&D of Pioneer Rivermen, and others locally have been contacted. A first consideration was to suggest the PRESS CONFERENCE to be held in an inside location. I hope the weather cooperates for Friday. We will keep pluggin' here.

*At present I have NO home computer/Internet/E=Mail service due to the recent bad electrical storm in Cincinnati. My unit is being checked with possible repairs--or a new one. I have use of a computer at my club and will check it daily. Thanks to all for the arriving E=Mails...now over 60 total. It'll take time to get back on base.

Cheers,
      R. Dale Flick

Comment

starting time has changed to 12:30 pm!

The starting time of the press conference has changed to 12:30 pm.

Comment

Good luck to all at the press conference on Friday! Thanks especially to Rep. Chabot for writing this bill and to MAL for coming out in support of it! I truly wish I could attend this important and historic event. Keep in mind that all of this has happened from the grass roots beginning here on steamboats.org so even more congratulations to Franz, Carmen and all the members on here who have and are showing what a few dedicated souls can do. Keep those cards and letters coming to the congress and senate!

Comment

How Did It Go?

A friend of ours went to the Cincinnati press conference, today, and reported that only about 30, or so, supporters attended. Anyone have an idea how things went?

Comment

I'm sorry Sam

I'm sorry Sam but I don't know. I am now disabled so it is too difficult for me to go down there. I sure hope more than 30 people showed up. It seems by all of the internet responses that many folks support the efforts to keep the DQ as America's last overnight passenger steamboat. Keep the pressure up with writing congresspersons. Best Wishes to you, Hepschlep aka Jamie Osher DQ class of '75

Comment

Sam:

I was at the conference today and that is about the extent of the crowd...maybe thirty. Mike Jones spoke for S&D, Chabot, Cincy Chamber of Commerce, Cincy City Council, Kentucky Derby Festival head, Cincy Historical Society and Gordon Greene all spoke and said what needed to be said. Media was there...about six cameras from TV and the Kentucky Post that I identified. It was over in less than a half hour.

Comment

Thank you for your report Tom.

Originally posted by Tom Schiffer View Post
                  Sam:

I was at the conference today and that is about the extent of the crowd...maybe thirty. Mike Jones spoke for S&D, Chabot, Cincy Chamber of Commerce, Cincy City Council, Kentucky Derby Festival head, Cincy Historical Society and Gordon Greene all spoke and said what needed to be said. Media was there...about six cameras from TV and the Kentucky Post that I identified. It was over in less than a half hour.
                  Thanks for telling us what happened. It's too bad more didn't show. I am guilty myself. I have been trying to relieve my guilt by writing letters and or signing any petitions I can find. Did you know that you cannot write to a congressman from a different district on this thing. I tried to commend that congressman in Northern Ky but my email was turned away because it knew my zip code was not where he represents. Stuff like that enrages me. Thanks again for your participation and good work,
                  Best Wishes, Hepschlep aka Jamie Osher former DQ employee class of '75

Comment

Originally posted by James Osher View Post
                    Thanks for telling us what happened. It's too bad more didn't show. I am guilty myself. I have been trying to relieve my guilt by writing letters and or signing any petitions I can find. Did you know that you cannot write to a congressman from a different district on this thing. I tried to commend that congressman in Northern Ky but my email was turned away because it knew my zip code was not where he represents. Stuff like that enrages me. Thanks again for your participation and good work,
                    Best Wishes, Hepschlep aka Jamie Osher former DQ employee class of '75
                    James

While we cannot send e-mail messages to most congressmen or senators who do not represent us, we can still call. I talked with assistants in both of Steve Chabot's office--DC and OH--as well as talking with an assistant in Geoff Davis's office in DC. In each case I advised where I lived while thanking them for their support of the Delta Queen.

Another option is a letter sent through the USPS. However, with the security in place in the DC offices, I learned that it can take up to two weeks for the letter to be received by the addressee.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Tom. One question. Who was there from MAL?

Comment

Not a soul, but MAL's views were represented in a prepared statement that was enclosed in the press packets that Rep. Chabot's staffers were handing out.

By the way, did you know that according to the official MAL factsheet about the DELTA QUEEN, which was also enclosed in Chabot's packets, her top speed is 16 knots, but cruise speed is a sedate 10 knots?

Comment

There is always the FAX machine, the attached links to Congress and Representatives list the local and DC ph/fax#s for all.

http://www.congressmerge.com/

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml

Comment

Thanks for the info

Originally posted by Suzanne Martinez View Post
                            James

While we cannot send e-mail messages to most congressmen or senators who do not represent us, we can still call. I talked with assistants in both of Steve Chabot's office--DC and OH--as well as talking with an assistant in Geoff Davis's office in DC. In each case I advised where I lived while thanking them for their support of the Delta Queen.

Another option is a letter sent through the USPS. However, with the security in place in the DC offices, I learned that it can take up to two weeks for the letter to be received by the addressee.
                            That's it, what I said in the title. Thanks for the info, I appreciate your quick response and helpful tips. I will call them on Monday. Do you think we have a good chance of success?
                            Regards, Jamie Osher

Comment

News Conf Video

I found this vidoe of the Chabot news conf. on the ABC WPCO news web site.

http://www.wcpo.com/mediacenter/loca...po.dayport.com

Neal

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X