Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have a bill on the floor of the House!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a bill on the floor of the House!!

I hate to take Jo Ann's thunder, but since no one has posted here about it, I will share the email I recieved earlier today. The Assemblyman is Steve Chabot of Cincinnati:

----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 3:35 PM
    Subject: LISTEN UP!

Okay. I just got off the phone with Mr. Chabot's Washington office. I spoke with Anna Rack.

Mr. Chabot introduced a "stand alone" bill yesterday H.R. 3852 to exempt the DELTA QUEEN. So far he has 11 co-sponsors. I have no idea if that is good or bad or what. But she did say if anyone knew of any other Representatives that would like to co-sponsor the bill to be sure to call her. Her number is 202-225-2216.

She also said that any of us that had signed petitions to go ahead and send copies to her. She did say copies were fine. The address is: 129 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, DC 20215.

I asked about the resolutions we have been asking municipalities to pass. She said she didn't know if they would do any good or not. However, what can it hurt. Send them too.

She said the bill would come up for vote in a couple of weeks.

GO! GO! GO!!!!!!!! PRESS HARD on your Representatives!!!!

Jo Ann

The text of the bill is not yet online, so I don't know the exact wording.
    As Jo Ann said:
    GO! GO! GO!!!!!!! Email everyone you know, time for another letter! The fight is FAR from over, this is just the first battle!
    May your stack be clear,your mud drums clean and clear water under your wheel.
    S'
    David D.
    Attached Files

David,

Thanks for the heads up. I notice that nearly all sites about the campaign have been updated now with HR 3852.

Several questions, since I don't have much of a head for legal proceedings. The bill amends section 3503a of Title 46:

A passenger vessel of the United States having berth or
    stateroom accommodations for at least 50 passengers shall be
    granted a certificate of inspection only if the vessel is
    constructed of fire-retardant materials. Before November 1, 2008 [now 2018 from HR 3852],
    this section does not apply to any vessel in operation before
    January 1, 1968, and operating only within the Boundary Line.The bill was introduced in the House by Ohio Rep Chabot with 11 co-sponsors. However, thomas.gov reports that on Oct 16, the bill was "referred to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure," headed by none other than MN Rep Oberstar. What does this mean for the bill?

Comment

Jon --

My guess is that it means that we need a Democrat or two on the Transportation Committee to stand up to their leader.

Dave V.

Comment

Yes, there are three Representatives who co-sponsored the bill on the Transportation Committee. They are: Walz, MN; Baker, LA; and Schmidt, OH.

At some point Majestic America Line thanked Mr. Baird from Washington for his support. He's on the committee. I believe Mr. Taylor, from Mississippi was also thanked. So that's 5 out of 75. We've got a little ways to go!

I have been told that 11 co-sponsors are good.

Those left to convince are: Nick Rahall, WV
        Peter DeFazio, OR
        Jerry Costello, IL
        Eleanor Norton, DC
        Jerrold Nadler, NY
        Corrine Brown, FL
        Bob Filner, CA
        Eddie Johnson, TX
        Elijah Cummings, MD, who is chair of the Coast Guard Committee
        Ellen Tauscher, CA
        Leonard Boswell, IA
        Tim Holden, PA
        Rick Larsen, WA
        Michale Capuano, MA
        Julia Carson, IN - I've tried to contact her office, but have gotten no response (since I'm not in her district)
        Tim Bishop, NY
        Michael Michaud, ME
        Brian Higgins, NY
        Russ Carnahan, MO
        John Salazar, CO
        Grace Napolitano, CA
        Daniel Lipinski, IL
        Doris Matsui, CA
        Nick Lampson, TX
        Zachary Space, OH
        Mazie Hirono, HI
        Bruce Braley, IA
        Jason Altmire, PA
        Heath Shuler, NC
        Michael Arcuri, NY
        Harry Mitchell, AZ
        Chris Carney, PA
        John Hall, NY
        Steve Kagen, WI
        Steve Cohen, TN
        Jerry McNerney, CA
        John Mica, FL
        Dan Young, AK
        Tom Petri, WI
        Howard Coble, NC
        John Duncan, TN
        Wayne Gilchrest, MD
        Vernon Ehlers, MI
        Steven LaTourette, OH
        Frank LoBiondo, NJ
        Jerry Moran, KS
        Gary Miller, CA
        Robin Hayes, NC
        Henry Brown, SC
        Tim Johnson, IL
        Todd Platts, PA
        Sam Graves, MO
        Bill Shuster, OA
        John Boozman, AR
        Shelley Capito, WV
        Jim Gerlach, PA
        Mario Diaz-Balart, FL
        Charles Dent, PA
        Ted Poe, TX
        David Reichert, WA
        Connie Mack, FL
        Randy Kuhl, NY
        Lynn Westmoreland, GA
        Charles Boustany, LA
        Candice Miller, MI
        Thelma Drake, VA
        Mary Fallin, OK
        Vern Buchanan, FL

If anyone reading this has any of the above for your Representative, NOW is the time to call their office. Even if you've written or called before, do it again. MAKE SURE they will support the exemption.

It's Bill # H.R. 3852. PLEASE make that phone call!
        Jo Ann

Comment

Having the House Bill is wonderful, but there must be a companion bill in the Senate. It's absolutely vital for us to contact our senators, and urge them to craft a bill this year.

Comment

Todays St Louis Post-Despatch ran a report from it's Washington Bureau about an orginized action to exempt the Delta Queen. Also mentioned is the oposition. At least it's a start, now we need the snowball effect.
            Link here. http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...4?OpenDocument

Comment

The word is spread - even in Japan:

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/usatoday/07...2329008-n1.htm

Carmen

Comment

Jo Ann --

One of my city council contacts in Marietta has served as a campaign worker not only for local congressman Charlie Wilson, but also for congressman Zack Space. The latter is on the T&I committee. She is calling them both about HR 3852. They are both Democrats -- helpful to the effort to make this a bipartisan issue.

Dave V.

Comment

I have contacted my congressional rep, Bruce Braley, D-IA, urging him to support HR 3852. He serves on the majority of the T&I Committee.

Has anyone considered contacting Rep. Chabot on what would be the best course of action for us to take regarding the bill?

Comment

Frank --

Excellent point -- I am e-mailing Senator Voinovich to ask him to support his fellow Ohio Republicans (Chabot and Schmidt) by introducing a companion bill. Then I will e-mail Senator Brown asking him in the name of bipartisanship and the well-being of southern Ohio to co-sponsor it. The main problem will be that both Voinovich and Brown are from northern Ohio.

Dave V.

Comment

Jon,

When I spoke to Anna last week in Mr. Chabot's office she said to send in copies any petitions and resolutions we had signed to her attention in his Washington DC office. Mr. Chabot's office was going to contact each Representative and ask for support and obviously they have done a press release as there have been articles in the Cincinnati, Louisville and St. Louis papers. Hopefully others will run it soon. And, of course, we need to continue contacting our local representatives. I emailed 70 more signatures today to Baron Hill's office from his District alone. Those along with others from other areas also went to Mr. Cabot's office this morning - about 300 - thanks to Katie Blackburn, Barb Hameister and Gayle Hindman - who keep working behind the scenes.

Basically we need to just keep doing what we've been doing only more of us and more often!

Comment

MAL supporting Rep. Chabot

According to Modernagent

http://www.modernagent.com/Resources...l.aspx?n=31866

Majestic America Line is supporting the new bill.

Carmen

Comment

AMEN, Pete. Until now the silence from MAL has been deafening! Let's hope that this is more than just lip service!

Comment

I am absolutely stunned. I expected a noncommittal response from MAL, reflecting their desire to reduce capacity by retiring the DQ. My first thought is that for such a missed call, I should resign in disgrace, retreat to my home, and shut up.

My second thought is that that would be an overreaction. MAL's response may just be a reflection of their understanding that they are in a box: they cannot appear to be unenthusiastic about the Chabot bill without also appearing to be duplicitous. They are saying what they need to say.

But I must admit that even that has raised my estimation of them a bit. I'm now inclined to think that MAL is not malevolent. I still think, though, that they are maladroit. Everything that I have said about their lack of understanding of the uniqueness of the DQ and the specificity of her target market still holds true, I think. So while in the immediate instance (passing the exemption) MAL's embrace is very good news, over the longer term it may be very frustrating. The DQ would be better served by a more perceptive and committed owner; MAL's apparent change of heart may make such a transfer more difficult.

Dave V.

Comment

Judy is right!!

I think this is exactly Judy Patsch's call, she predicted this a long, long time ago.

You think that the boys from Seattle suddenly got religion and realized that it is better to have 300 staterooms on the Mississippi rivers than 380 to 400 (how big is the MQ gonna be?)? ESPECIALLY if 88 of those rooms are almost a sure thing that they are going to be sold. Don't hold your breath, maybe, just maybe, the old gal is making a profit all of a sudden?

BRILLIANT! and just think... They could save 27 MILLION...

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X