No announcement yet.

The bottom line--It's all about money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if I had $15-20 million- I guess I know where I would spend it. The no-compete could be another matter.

Thanks David for your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Santangelo View Post
      And if I had $15-20 million- I guess I know where I would spend it. The no-compete could be another matter.

Thanks David for your comments.
      While I understand your feelings, Elaine, if I had $15-20 million, I'd retire. And the last thing in the world I would do is buy a boat. Who needs the headaches?

Reminds me of the old musicians joke, "Want to lose a million? First - buy a jazz club......"

Paul

Comment

Would the "no compete" clause apply to the upper rivers where the AQ & the MQ can't go? That's one real plus about the DQ's size, she can go to some pretty intersting places!
        S'
        David D.
        PS If I could keep $1million for my future use, I'd happily lose $15mil keeping the DQ alive a little longer! Now to find that winnig ticket!! Oh wait, I have to BUY a ticket???

Comment

No compete provision

Here's something to ruminate about over your cup of coffee: if the DELTA QUEEN is such a losing proposition, why would MAL feel the need to invoke a no-compete clause if they sold her???? eh????? um???? duh?????

Comment

Right on Judy!

Actually, because of how immersed I have been in elder care, nursing homes, assisted living- the Delta Queen could be the ultimate in retirement communities. But before many of you beat me up--- I did NOT say that would be what I want to do with her. I am just recalling how Marriott got involved in assisted living because they thought it was easy money and then pulled out again when they realized it was not so easy.

But since my generation of baby boomers cannot afford to retire anyway, maybe we have to re-think retirement entirely. Could do a kind of tours of duty thing so instead of enjoying the luxury of a cruise, we have to contribute even more than money.

Paul Penta's comment made me laugh too.

But my grand scheme did not work for me either. I left a well-paying job to be a union crew member on board the boats with the idea that I would work that job until retirement. I turned down promotions because I was trying to stay union even if I have never been real big on unions. Lots of things happened and that idea was not going to happen. But, in the meantime, I managed to go from an image of a management type person to a casual seasonal worker. Keep in mind- all images or perceptions of other people and not necessarily facts.

Likewise, the DQ is perceived as an unprofitable antique by some instead of the crown jewel that she really is. Sometimes, even some of us try to keep that idea somewhat secret.

We want that exemption to pass- not because she is a National Historic Landmark- and not because we think that her adaptations make her as safe as any other boat afloat- and not because she cruises the rivers within sight of land. We want her exemption to pass because we enjoy her for the unique experience she provides.

The company (any company) can tell us repeatedly that we can get the same thing from her sisters but we're just not buying that. As Jim said to begin with- It's all about the money- isn't it? Well that is really sad.

Comment

Here we go again: IN MY OPINION, the company that owns the DELTA QUEEN now did not know what they purchased, nor did they know their market. They purchased a National Historic Landmark and should have been prepared to take on the stewardship of, and further the career of that National Historic Landmark. To hell with the bottom line. Money is not everything. And whoever owns the DELTA QUEEN should be proud of the fact that they have the opportunity to care for her! And that's all I've got to say! (for now anyway) HA!

Comment

"Where?" you ask. Involuntarily retired in West Lafayette, Indiana for one!

Short answers to some of the things in this thread:
                The Natchez has modern fire tube boilers, well suited to intermittent firing. Although one boiler is used each day, both are brought up to pressure each day. One or the other is used for the trips on alternate days. The other is ready for service at a moments notice. At the end of the day they are "bottled up' and still have considerable pressure the next morning.

Maintaining pressure on a non working manually fired boiler is dificult, time consuming and dirty. It's better to operate the DQ with two operating at low capacity.

The DQ has to have steam 24 hrs/day for laundry dryers, hot water heaters, galley steamers, galley steam tables, galley steam kettles, dishwasher heat, riverwater distiller for boiler feed water. In the cold weather steam heats the boat.

Firing #2 oil might be money saving on the DQ with modern high efficiency, automated boilers. After the difference in maintainance is factored in, Cost/BTU would be the ultimate criterium.

I would not want the fireman on watch eliminated however. There are just too many things to keep an eye on, too far from the engine room for the engineer or oiler to monitor.

Comment

Bruno,
                  Here's an idea out of left field for you.

If the SOLAS exemption is granted, consider forming a Delta Queen Condominium corporation to purchase and operate the boat. When you aren't using your condo it could be booked as usual to help the condo association bottom line.

The concept is pretty hot out on the salt water. See: http://itotd.com/articles/576/cruise-ship-condos

The time share concept is not out of the question either.

There may be enough regulars for this idea to take wing.
                  Dennis

Comment

Price of Bunker-C Has Risen.

For a matter of reference, when I started working on the DELTA QUEEN in 1865, Oooops- 1965, the price of Bunker-C was eight cents a gallon! Yes, $.08. They nearly paid us to get the stuff off their hands, so to speak. Wonder what the tab is now?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Shenk View Post
                      Bruno,
                      [...]

The concept is pretty hot out on the salt water. See: http://itotd.com/articles/576/cruise-ship-condos

[...]
                      I am afraid it is not 'hot out on the salt water'. There is ONE ship following this principle "The World" - NONE of the other announced projects is even coming close to be considered for realization. Most are actually hoaxes. (Be careful when you come across such offers)

Comment

According to a TV show on the topic- it is one of the priciest ways to retire. Even if it is considered all inclusive and one does even need to own a car anymore and simplifies their life so they don't have all the extra stuff that most of accumulate over the years- it is still very expensive. Then again, so is assisted living.

I think the time share model would actually work a bit better but even time shares get pretty costly because it is not just owning one week or whatever, there are maintenance fees as well as the extras when one uses the week that is owned. It is more like having a guaranteed reservation and constantly paying for that reservation.

But I admit I saw the TV show when I was channel surfing one night, I was intrigued by the idea. The TV show may have even been a paid advertisement for the World. I keep pretty strange hours these days.

Comment

I've not met you Jo Ann, but I Love you!!
                          I feel the same way too, but I also am willing to bet that the DQ does make money. It might not be enough to deal with major repairs, however!
                          But what do I know? (Yeah, I stole that line)
                          S'
                          David D.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                          Working...
                          X