Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DQ display at Lott Home museum

Hi all,
    One of the museums I curate, the C. F. Lott home has a display room that changes frequently highlighting local collectors, etc. I was asked to do the display this month (length of display varies, this MIGHT be up until December), so I did a Steamboat memento display utilizing some of my "stuff"
    I've titled the display, "Steamboat Crazy" " First photo. The rest of the photos should be self-expanitory. Photo two shows the top left shelf, with mugs and a 1960's tray showing the Belle of Louisville and a text card about the Save the DQ subject. Photo three is of the left middle shelf, with a picture of the Rollers, and one of Pres. Carter and family on the stage, Mardi Gras DQSB necklace, some DQ & MQ coasters, my PSBS name badge, and a deck of Gordon C. Greene playing cards. More pics next posting
    Attached Files

More photos

First photo is of the left bottom shelf with a ceramic DQ, a piece of paddle wood, a late 1979s dinner plate, a commemorative plate and a nice drawing we bought on the landing at Natchez. on the floor of the display case is a DQ placemat. The second photo is the right top shelf with a DQ pillow and a photo album. The third photo shows the second shelf with some Riverboat books, an AQ dedication bell, DQ belt buckel and some other trinkets. Underneath this shelf is a '75 brochure showing deck plans and those "expensive $375 cruises!" One more set of pics, if I'm not boring you!
    Attached Files

Comment

Last set of pics

First photo is a close-up of the upper shelf sign telling of the DQ's plight, the second photo is a "Save the DQ poster in a brochure dispensing holder, with my 1/4 page handouts (I keep the copy machines at staples going!).
      I hope this display helps a bit, there should be a story about it in the local paper next week.
      Speaking of newspaper stories, the Sacramento (CA) Bee had a travel article on the DQ & the QE2 being retired. Our www.save-the-delta-queen.org site was mentioned! The only bad thing was the QE2 sorta stole the thunder, and it's not a fair comparision, the QE2 is basically worn out, and being put to pasture--but the DQ is being legilstated out of biz!
      Hope y'all enjoyed this. I'll post when the news story comes out.
      Steamcerely,
      David D.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good show David! One of the most frustrating things about having a collection is not being able to share it with anyone. You've got a great outlet there and having the Save info right by it is great.

Comment

Wowziers, very nice display, David. And thanks a gazillion for being the Save the Delta Queen Campaign West Coast Division.

But, I have one very small question: How come your piece of bucket board is bigger than mine? Grrrrr...

Comment

Pete,
            This is located in the upstairs of the 1856 C. F. Lott home museum in Historic Downtown Oroville--Northern California, about 1-1/2 hours north of Sacraramento, and about 25 minutes south-east of the Infamous College town, Chico--and in the town below the large earth-filled Oroville Dam.
            Hope that locates it! :)
            I'm cheating a bit, as I'm the curator--but the Lott changing display IS controlled by the Docent Group, who invited me to put up a display, once I listed some of my various steamboat collectables--they had no idea of the variety of stuff one can gather! (and I had to limit what I displayed due to space restrictions!)
            Steamcerely,
            David Dewey
            N. Calif headquarters, "Save the Delta Queen" campaign! :)
            PS So far the city has not asked me to not wear my "Save the DQ" button, which I wear ALL the time,even for photo sessions and especially at performances at the performing arts center. Let us hope they keep ignoring my "fetish" !

Comment

Sorry about that Bruno! I did discover that it "bleeds" something that stains shirts it is against in your suitcase! Now I keep it in a zip-lock!
              S'
              David D.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
              Working...
              X