X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Eveland
    replied
    Hi Keith,

I love the idea of a Riverlodeon at the Howard Museum. We should also find a piano so we could have our own Texas Lounge sing-a-long! :) I'm looking forward to visiting the museum web site.

Full speed ahead!

"Professor" Pete

Leave a comment:

• Pete Eveland
    replied
    Judy,

It is so good to hear from you after all these years! Thank you for sharing these pictures. They have brought a smile to my face and warmth to the heart. :) I don't have many pictures like this as, needless to say, I was playing in the band. As Vic used to say, "keep those cards and letters coming!"

Best,

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    It should be noted that Pete is one of the featured calliope players on the blue-covered DQ calliope album of 1976. Vic Tooker and Dan Forman are the other two on the album.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    I had the privilege to take Jim up to Blackhawk Films a couple of times to purchase the RKO Texas videos. BF just happened to be located right by the railroad tracks in Davenport. Yes, those surreptitious showings were wonderful 'back in the days'. Another remarkable gathering occurred in the Jackson St. home of the Tschiggfries in Dubuque during a DQ stop. Dave had a reel to reel tape of various things including Doc's famous COPYCAT!!!! outburst at Gabe and several of us went over there with tape recorders to copy his tape. Offhand I recall Dave, Bob Reynolds, Lexie, Keith, Ann Zeiger, Jim Blum and myself there hunkered down in the room recording. Now here's the amazing part: look at those names and realize that we had no patch cords and were recording through the air, which meant that that illustrious group had to remain silent throughout!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Pete Eveland

Here are 2 pix from my first-ever DQ trip, Aug. 20-23, 1973. In the first one in the Texas Lounge, that's Pete on the piano, Vic Tooker on banjo and microphone, and Alice Mom Tooker on bass. Guy Pop Tooker is out of the pix to the right on drums. Pix 2, taken after the Captain's Dinner, features Capt. Ernie Wagner on the bones, playing Alabama Jubilee; Mate Gabe Chengery at the piano, Alice on bass, Vic on banjo, Pop on drums, and peeking out behind Pop is Pete on the organ. The man at the Captain's table with sideburns is Dick Billings, who was the head of the travel department of State Bank of East Moline, who had several DQ charters in the '70s, and across from Dick in the orange dress is Jeannie Kittrell, noted St. Louis area musician who is still going strong with her own band. She was a guest musician on that cruise and did a wonderful show on a brief history of jazz, including that favorite "IF You Don't Want My Peaches Then Don't Shake My Tree". Since Pete posted on another thread too, I'll post a different pix over there...
    Last edited by Judy Patsch; 11-15-2007, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jazzou Jones
    replied
    Yes, Paul, it's true....I got tired of women throwing their underwear and room keys at me in the Paddlewheel Lounge and singing What's New *****cat when I wanted to play rags, so I changed my name to the more riverine Jazzou - a mixture of jazz and the Yazoo. It happened during the second week of my employ, and the name was dreamed up by a passenger, James Bowman, editor of the Riverside, CA newspaper.

What a digression from saving the Delta Queen.....let's get back on track and re-focus, Delilah.

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    replied
    Pete,

Indeed, you need to "return to the river" for a steamboat fix!

Perhaps sometime we can have a "Riverlodeon" at the Howard Museum and everybody can bring slides for a "show and tell" program. Dave, Judy Patsch and I all have thosands of steamboat slides -- and I don't think ANYBODY on the river has more slides than Capt. Jim Blum! I'm sure there are a lot more out there too!

As curator of steamboat collections/exhibits, I have started a series of programs entitled "River Ramblings". Visit the museum website at www.steamboatmuseum.org for news of upcoming events.

Several years ago I inquired about the Muster Collection at the Cincinnati Historical Society and was told it had never been cataloged. Within the last year or so, Bill Muster's family has donated another large collection of his slides to the National Rivers Hall of Fame at Dubuque.

Keep up steam!
    Keith

Leave a comment:

• Paul Penta
    replied
    Originally posted by Jazzou Jones View Post
    Hi Pete,

Best wishes,

Tom Jazzou Jones
    Tuner/Tickler
    TOM Jones? TOM Jones? That's your real name? TOM Jones?

Well, I guess It's Not Unusual.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Jazzou Jones
    replied
    Hi Pete,

Great to hear from you here after many, many years. Through the years of my association with the DQ boats, I would occasionally get asked (usually after playing the calliope) if I ever heard of or met Pete Eveland, an illustrious predecessor. I would reply that the last time I saw you was when we both worked for the Wurlitzer Piano and Organ Company of Cincinnati. You were sellin' 'em as fast as I could tune 'em. I remember playing a two-piano version of "Kitten on the Keys" with you in the showroom.

Drop a line sometime at jazzou@aol.com

Best wishes,

Tom Jazzou Jones
    Tuner/Tickler

Leave a comment:

• Pete Eveland
    replied
    Hi Keith,

Thank you for your kind words. I'd love to get my hands on that calliope one more time. I used to love to hear it as we would pass under a bridge. There was a place on the Ohio river down around the Ox Bow Bends where I could play the old song, "Little Sir Echo," and at the propitious moment the hills would echo back as if cued.

I loved to play "Mississippi Mud" at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. The DQ used to pause at that point. In the summer, the green waters of the Ohio would meet the muddy waters of the Mississippi and passengers would through a penny in for good luck. I wonder if they still do that?

I'd love to see Dave's slides. We need a reunion sometime where we can all bring our stuff and share memories.

Have you ever seen the collection of pictures Bill Muster left the Cincinnati Historical Society? I have wanted to check them out, but haven't got to yet.

Best,

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    replied
    Hi Pete!

Let me add my WELCOME ABOARD to Dave's posting! I was a crew member on the DQ after your time, but was a passenger on occasions when you were on and I always remmber your fine rendering of "Mississippi Mud" and other musical dandies! The late Ann Zeiger always made cassette tapes of EVERYTHING and has a lot of those selections preserved for posterity.

And speaking of those slide shows, when Dave (whom I've had the pleasure of knowing for nearly 40 years!) and I were watchman partners, we sometimes had some great sessions of slides from Dave's vast collection of river and steamboat images, replete with popcorn and A&W Root Beer! I also remember bringing back many a pizza from Cassano's each time the DQ stopped at Hannibal. Indeed, them wuz the days!

Keep up steam and we look forward to more postings from you!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Keith Norrington; 10-12-2007, 08:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Eveland
    replied
    Glad to be onboard

Hi Dave:

Great to hear from you!! You were always one of my favorite people. I'll will look forward to sharing and reading stories of the great times we had aboard the DQ. I have a recording studio in my house that is decorated with DQ memorabilia. I'll need to scan some pictures I have that folks might find of interest. I have a couple of really great pictures of the Mississippi Queen being launched.

One of the rooms I used to stay in was at the back of the after-cabin lounge. I never saw or heard the ghost of Ma Greene. However, I always felt like her eyes were following me when I walked past her portrait. :)

Related to the Texas Lounge and alcohol being served, you might remember how Vic Tooker led the Sunday devotions at 10:00 am in the Orleans room. He used to get a big kick out of scheduling a sing-a-long in the Texas Lounge right after the Sunday service. If that didn't invoke the ghost nothing will! :)

Have a great day!

"Professor" Pete

Leave a comment:

• David Dewey
    replied
    I love the scene where they start throwing "the cure" into the firebox and flames come out the stacks! Yep, one film ya don't want to forget!
    S'
    David D.
    PS How come I finally get onboard AFTER all these fun things have been legislated away?? Oh well, at least I snuck in some kite flyin'

Leave a comment:

• David Tschiggfrie
    replied
    Welcome aboard, Pete!! It is wonderful to hear from you after all this time. Your ears may have been burning these past few years, as you have been mentioned in many postings on this message board, as former passengers and crew have recalled you and your superb musical talent on many occasions. Hope this won't be the last time you put in an appearance here. I'm sure many of the DQ's former people will be glad to hear your reminiscences. Again, it's great to have you with us!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Eveland
    replied
    Another film to remember

Dear Dave, Jim and other fellow Steamboaters:

I just found this wonderful forum yesterday and have been having a ball reading the posts. As long as we are talking about films, let us not forget the immortal classic, "Steamboat Round the Bend." Vic Tooker and I used to exchange lines all the time. One of my favorites was when Vic would come up to me and say, "Say brother, have you seen the New Moses?" To which I would reply, "Why brother, I ain't seen the old Moses!" Bring back those old Riverboat Days. :)

"Professor" Pete Eveland

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X