Tying the boat up at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tying the boat up at night

I feel I should know the answer to this and maybe I do. But I will ask it anyway. Could the DQ continue to carry overnight passengers if they tied up every night? I am guessing the answer is probably no. But if the boat could continue to do daily excursions then why not? This would be very similar to what the Twilight and Julia Belle Swain do except their passengers go to a hotel at night. Could they tie up at any spot along the bank or would it have to be a town? Are there any loopholes in the legislation that would allow this?

Pete, I agree with you. But Ted to answer your question: Per 46 USC Section 3503:

(a) A passenger vessel of the US having berth or stateroom accommodations for at least 50 passengers shall be granted a certificate of inspection only if the vessel is contructed of fire-retardant materials. Before November 1, 2008, this section does not apply to any vessel in operation before January 1, 1968 and operating only within the Boundary Line.

(b)(1) when a vessel is EXEMPTED from the fire-retardant standards of this section - (and it goes on to say the company has to notify all passengers, etc., etc.)

HISTORICAL AND REVISION NOTES
    Section 3503 requires the use of fire retardant materials on a vessel having berthing facilities for at least 50 passengers. This requirement in the case of vessels engaged in foreign trade is consistent with our international treaty obligations, which impose extensive and additional fire safety standards. A waiver that grandfathers existing inland river passenger vessels is also included.

AMENDMENTS - follow and I'll not type all them out.

I'm no Harvard lawyer, but looks like without the exemption she wouldn't be granted a certificate of inspection. So I guess the DELTA KING is not considered a vessel, but a hotel.

Comment

DuckPaddlin'

Exemption or not, the boat could continue to operate under a different COI, but could not carry more than 49 passengers overnight as I see it.

As the surviving most senior officer from the 1970 SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN campaign, I see this attempt to save the boat as tame compared to the first. The DQS Co. was leading the way to save the DELTA QUEEN, and everyone of us on the crew and in the office were actively engaged in "ballyhooing" the campaign. The energy, direction, and money came from a company that fought up to the very last moment, but I see no such organization this time around.

Those were different times and different circumstances as there was no other boat to keep the operation afloat. Literally, it was swim or sink- so we duckpaddled until someone threw us a ringbuoy seconds before we went down for the last time.

Many boat-loads of good intentions are out there, and I applaud all that is being done on this board and elsewhere, but someone else's property cannot be saved if that someone does not want it saved. And if the legislation somehow squeeks by like it did away-back-when. Then what? Will the owners continue to operate the boat until the next exemption time rolls around, or will the salvation be for naught?
      Last edited by Shipyard Sam; 08-30-2007, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Good points Shipyard Sam. My opinion is we have to TRY our best to get that exemption. We are certainly looking for a ring leader state side. Are you our man?

Comment

Absolutely not. I'm still reeling from the first time around. :{)

Comment

delta queen

i am deeply saddened that the us congress will not renew the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) regulations certificate (if i have this correct). i come from dumbarton in Scotland where this paddle steamer was built 80 years ago, and i think that if it does not get the certificate it need to have over night passengers, it will be a great loss to dumbarton and the great mississippi river and all other rivers she has paddled on, also i think it will be a great loss to historic scotland and the memories to the people who built it. please tell me if my info is correct as i have only seen what is going on with the delta queen on scottish news

Comment

Dear Scottie & steamboating colleagues:
              What a surprise--and treat--to hear from you way over there in Dumbarton, Scotland. Another surprise at your report the DELTA QUEEN matter has appeared on Scottish news. The DELTA KING/DELTA QUEEN have come a long way in their history from the DENNY BROS. yards there where they were built. I understand most of the old yards and companies there are now closed and out of business. Can/could you provide us with any additional details at what the news media there have said in their coverage? To my personal knowledge you are the first to post on this great web from that part of the world. Keep us posted and tell us more. Just goes to prove what goes out all over the world via Internet. A sobering thought in what we write and hit 'Post Quick Reply.'

I asked a Scottish friend of mine here in Cincinnati, Ohio in a joking manner if they "...have summer in Scotland?" His reply? "Yes, if you're paying attention at the moment." Has the heather already bloomed on the moors? "Tying the boat up at night" is appropriate. We hope 'night' doesn't fall on the QUEEN and our rivers here. Time will tell.

Cheers,
              R. Dale Flick, Cincinnati, Ohio USA.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
              Working...
              X