Involve the National Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Involve the National Trust

I believe that if the Delta Queen is to be saved in operation, a key role will be played by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The Trust's membership and clout reach far beyond the steamboating realm, and at least some of its leaders have considerable interest in and respect for the DQ. Their predecessors placed her on the National Register, and she would be the sort of project that demonstrates the breadth of the Trust's concerns.

I found Frank Quinn of the Trust's Ohio affiliate to be generally aware of the issue and eager for more information to take to his board for possible action. I urge DQ supporters to contact their state and regional Trust offices (through information available at nationaltrust.org) to enlist their aid.

David, I think this was already mentioned on the message board a few weeks ago. The National Trust does have a legal/advocacy arm that might be helpful in lending support for the DQ's cause. But the National Trust would not likely provide federal preservation funding in the form of grants to the DQ, because she is privately owned and not nearly in derelict condition. Since she doesn't need that type of funding for preservation, the main thing now is to get congress to approve the SOLAS exemption so that she can continue to operate past 2008. No doubt that even symbolic support from the National Trust would be very helpful. Also if the National Trust has a "Lobbying arm" in D.C., then that would be useful now. The Passenger Vessel Association does this sort of lobbying and will hopefully get online to help the DQ.

Comment

More re the National Trust

Steve --

I understand your point about the exemption being task #1, and I said so in my conversation and follow-up letter to Heritage Ohio (the Trust's state affiliate). But we also need to think about the DQ's long-term future, and that likely will not be operation by MAL (French for "bad," you may have noticed) -- task #2.

The Trust may be able to provide critical help on both tasks (yes, the Trust has a Washington office which lobbies, as does its ally Preservation Action). My central point here is that DQ loyalists must enlist the support of the broader preservation community to avoid being dismissed as FRN's (a term I recently learned from Travis Vasconcelos, bless his heart).

Comment

More re the National Trust

Steve --

I understand your point about the exemption being task #1, and I said so in my conversation and follow-up letter to Heritage Ohio (the Trust's state affiliate). But we also need to think about the DQ's long-term future, and that likely will not be operation by MAL (French for "bad," you may have noticed) -- task #2.

The Trust may be able to provide critical help on both tasks (yes, the Trust has a Washington office which lobbies, as does its ally Preservation Action). My central point here is that DQ loyalists must enlist the support of the broader preservation community to avoid being dismissed as FRN's (a term I recently learned from Travis Vasconcelos, bless his heart).

Comment

David,
          Yes I agree with the idea of broader support, and if the National Trust can help with the lobbying in D.C., that would be great.
          In terms of National Trust Historic Preservation, while they will be concerned about the boat's future, and perhaps use the possibility of its future demise as leverage in D.C., they are presently under-funded. The DQ is structurally NOT in dire need and they would not likely fund a preservation project for the DQ while it is privately owned, even if they had funds to give.
          I know this because our non-profit has a 1923 sternwheeler that was put on the National Historic Landmark List the same year as the DQ (1989), and for the past few years we have been seeking federal grants from the National Trust and National Historic Landmarks to save our boat. It has been quite a learning process, and as you might guess, no funds are forth-coming for these types of inland river preservation projects at present.

Comment

Steve and David,

we probably shouldn't think so much about having any preservation actions taken on the Delta Queen but having the National Trust on our side helping us in Washington with their influence they do for sure have there. The Delta Queen doesn't need funding from the National Trust so it's probably not a big deal for them to help.

We still urgently need all the help we can get to find a way either around Rep. Oberstar or help changing Rep. Oberstar's mind about the Delta Queen. Sending letters to our representatives by far is not enough to achieve anything close to getting the exemption.

So who ever has contact to the National Trust, please contact them, convince them to help us saving the Delta Queen by using their influence in Washington!

Franz

Comment

Franz,
              Sounds good. I'll see if I have any contacts at the National Trust that can help, although I mainly know the preservation/grant people, and not the D.C. lobbying people.

Comment

You might want to try contacting the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota:
                http://www.mnpreservation.org/getinv.Contact_us.php

Once at the site, the Advocacy committee chair would seem to be a good contact.
                Also, director may be worth a call or email.

And, state and local preservation contacts are here:
                http://www.nationaltrust.org/help/st..._org.asp?st=MN
                Note that the MN state office appears to be in St. Paul, a town that benefits from the steamboats.

I found these from links on the National Trust site.

Comment

We might want to contact that AARP too--there's a recogninzed "major player" in the lobbying arena. Plus, most of us passengers are at that age too! (I'm decades from retiring, but old enough to belong!)
                  S'
                  David D.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X