Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Weisenberger
    replied
    This video is not mine so there is no way I can send it. The link is up and working this morning. Just go to my original post and click on the link. When the link appears click on the play arrow.

Originally posted by Bettie Russo View Post
    Dear Richard.
    I cannot get this vidio for some reason. Is there a way that I could get a copy from you? When I clicked on the link, it said it was not available. Please send me one, my email is Kahlles@aol.com.
    I love our Delta Queen so very much, and miss her so.
    Thank you so much,
    Bettie

Leave a comment:

• Bettie Russo
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard Weisenberger View Post
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=5
    This 8 minute video says it all! It ought to be shown during the next session of Congress, as it may melt a few hearts. How could anyone want to put an end to something like this?
    Dear Richard.
    I cannot get this vidio for some reason. Is there a way that I could get a copy from you? When I clicked on the link, it said it was not available. Please send me one, my email is Kahlles@aol.com.
    I love our Delta Queen so very much, and miss her so.
    Thank you so much,
    Bettie

Leave a comment:

• Richard Weisenberger
    replied
    http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1916&brandID=4
    Speaking of audio recording, Samson has recently released a smaller and even more affordable brother to their Zoom H4 digital recorder. It's their H2. This pocket size recording studio has a choice of several pickup patterns and has selectable recording quality from CD+ quality on down through lower bitrates, suitable for uploading to the internet. I'll have to get me one of these for recording my favorite steam whistles, calliopes and pipe organs.

I speced out a Zoom H4 a while back for the Music Department at our college and they absolutely love it.

Originally posted by Lexie Palmore View Post
    I would have the tape recorder on pause so that there would be little noise as I released the pause button. These recordings were always clandestine, and I also got Capt. Tate, Rip Ware, Big E, CW and others. I just hope those tapes aren't going south as I have not listened to them in a while.

Leave a comment:

• Lexie Palmore
    replied
    I would have the tape recorder on pause so that there would be little noise as I released the pause button. These recordings were always clandestine, and I also got Capt. Tate, Rip Ware, Big E, CW and others. I just hope those tapes aren't going south as I have not listened to them in a while.

Leave a comment:

• Marilyn Killen Wright
    replied
    what can I do to help

Hi, just returned home from my first R and R o the Delta Queen well it was actually our honeymoon. Our week was absolutely the best. The Delta Queen is safer than walking outside of our condo. So much to say about the Delta Queen but she is now a part of my husbands and my history as wellas many others.

What about putting ads in papers to get people to register who have cruised on the Delta?

Leave a comment:

• Matt Sisak
    replied
    Who could forget Reggie playing a tune on the inside of his elbow........better yet playing a Hawaiian tune on his nose!!!!! I think I have video of it along with Vic's medicine show. How about David Evans band,"Red Hot Mama" Sherrie Conners, Nadine and all the others of the 80's and 90's....what a great time we had!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    replied
    Yep, I had my tape recorder well concealed in the dark pilothouse and then Capt. Lexie and I got "Cappy" all revved up and he "cut loose" telling stories, replete with colorful cussing as only he could do it! Not a tape for the public domain!

My exhibit of SHOWBOAT MAJESTIC memorabilia at the museum includes a good photo of Melinda Vaprin blazing away on the calliope, taken in 1964.

Leave a comment:

• Shipyard Sam
    replied
    How'd you get Captain Louden on tape? Have had the mic hidden on a dark night? Nothing would make him go completely silent than the glimpse of a tape recorder in the pilothouse. Saw Cap'n Harry go from jigging to "Turkey in the Straw" to dead quiet when he realized a tape was rolling.

Melinda Vaprin could make a callope talk; did-so every night on the SHOWBOAT MAJESTIC and when she came over to the DELTA QUEEN, it was like Captain Wagner often said, "Katy bar the door!". The only recording I ever knew made of her playing the DQ calliope was taped by a young Captain Gabe, in 1965, when he was aboard as a paying passenger.
    Last edited by Shipyard Sam; 08-24-2007, 10:14 AM. Reason: pdq

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    replied
    Judy: Indeed I do have the LP recordings and cassette tapes made on the DQ in the long ago days of our era on the boat. In fact, my very first steamboat recording was the 45 rpm of the DQ's calliope, played by E.J. Quinby and Billy Menke. It sold for $1 in the DQ gift shop and by mail! Many of us remember the days when the Hammond Organ was on the DQ, played by Harmon Mize and Danny Daniels. And Ms. Happy Briscoe who ran the gift shop (she was such an icon of the DQ that there was even a postcard made of her behind the counter!) could set a piano afire with ragtime music!

I also have lots of cassette tapes that I made of not only the calliope and whistle, but of the pilothouse chatter of now departed pilots like Capts. Harry Louden, C.S. Ware, etc. Dan Foreman's calliope concerts, replete with classical selections, after Captain's' Dinner were always stellar events. Several times he "conned" me into playing the cally-ope for the "Eleven at Eleven", which I was glad to do. And, of course, The Riverboat Ramblers always kept the Orleans Room "lively", as well as during the afternoon sing-a-longs in the Texas -- especially the time when a horrendous thunderstorm came up, lighting hit the first flag pole on the port side just aft the pilothouse and the electricity traveled down into the bar where the sing-a-long was in progress. Vic Tooker was singing and strumming his banjo, when those who witnessed it said he suddently "lit up" and fell over, unable to speak for a few minutes! A truly electrifying performance! Oh, the endless flow of memories!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Keith Norrington; 08-24-2007, 01:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Just a clarification - you have everybody's CDs from this current era... A Vic Tooker album would certainly be different than anything you have, and the Calliope record which came out in '76 featuring Vic, Dan Forman, and Pete Eveland is great, and of course the dynamic duo of Fred Dodd and Steve Spracklen had several CDs and tapes, etc. etc. I suspect that many of us are still soothed/pumped up by the recordings from the performers of our era, as they bring back so many pleasant memories from our DQ trips. Does anybody else have Mary Greene's records including Paw Paw Patch and other hits of the day on the '50s DQ?

Leave a comment:

• Ernst Galutschek
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard Weisenberger View Post
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=5
    This 8 minute video says it all! It ought to be shown during the next session of Congress, as it may melt a few hearts. How could anyone want to put an end to something like this?
    Please do not consider it as impolite if I post the link to my own webpage - but as you all seem to be interested in video clips on Delta Queen.....

http://ships.galutschek.at/delta_queen/

I hope to post some more steamboat related video clips soon (fingers crossed) - so if you like the Delta Queen clips come back to see whether I finally made it to upload more material.

Leave a comment:

• Bruno Krause
    replied
    I'm really bragging here, and I apologize, this thread reply is not meant to be that way, but I have everybody's CD's. Tony's, I'll agree is wonderful, deep and very, very soothing. A fall day in upstate New York, the woodburner going, a good glass of wine and Tony's "Time Was"... mmmm, mmmm, nice! And Tony, aren't you 'sposed to be coming out with calliope CD like any day now...?

Both of Jazzou's, Annie's, Bob and Bob's, and Tony's, they're like little pieces of pure magic. And if anybody has a copy of the supposed Mike Gentry CD, contact me, I want it. Does it have Rockytop on it?

But, Deb and I are very, VERY partial, to Walter's CD. As anybody knows that has read my past posts, I'm very attached, almost scary attached to the Riverboat Five ...and/or Four. They are the best, hands down and as a huge plus, all have been good friends to me and Deb. The band's CD has been played from North Carolina to the wilds of upper Ontario...in Canada, I blew fuses playing the bands stuff...and I'm still hearing about it from neighbors. Screw 'em...

What we need to do is convince the band to make a second CD...

Love you guys, 8 days until you play Muscat Ramble for us, we hope...

B. and Deb

Leave a comment:

• Richard Weisenberger
    replied
    I can't take credit for the video itself (I wish I could), but I found it yesterday while doing a video websearch for the Delta Queen and felt it belonged on this board. I still think it should be shown during the next session of Congress, as it's impossible to be left untouched after watching it.

[QUOTE=Bruno Krause;7336]Richard,

Very, very nice video...Thanks again Richard, very nice stuff...anything showing the "LEGENDARY" one is eye candy in my book...nothing, NOTHING beats the ol' gal...

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    replied
    The other day I stopped by a local flea market/antique mall and found a dandy placemat with a color photo of the DQ, taken in the 1970's. When I took the item to the checkout counter (the price was 95 cents!) the cashiers looked at it and one of them said, "Ohhhhh, that's the old boat that is going to be tied up because it is so UNsafe!" I politely leaned over the counter and said, "Ladies, I have traveled on the DELTA QUEEN many times and even LIVED aboard it as a crew member -- and there is absolutely NOTHING UNsafe about the boat. In fact, I daresay that the DQ is far safer than the cars you drove to work today!" They were somewhat flabbergasted and I went on to explain the situation. They thanked me for "setting them straight"!
    Last edited by Keith Norrington; 08-24-2007, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Dewey
    replied
    Hour and a half later, and I'm only at 4 minutes--but lovin' every bit of it. Gonna have to try to download this puppy at the local Gelato shop--they've got high speed wireless there. Gotta catch some zzz's!
    S'
    David D.

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X