Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

save Her

Sent to my Congressmen:
    Please, please do not shut down the Delta Queen. There is no need to talk about her beauty and elegance, those are well known facts. Please consider her historical value and the love she garners from any who have crossed her path. She is a member of the family, the matriarch with the stunning strand of pearls resting on her ample bosom. I beg you to go back to Congress and ask for more exemptions. I cannot fathom why they would allow one of America's memories to be put to rest. The old girl is still full of "**** and vinegar". Please do not allow this to happen. I grew up in Natchez MS, on the river, down Learned's Hill. I watched her as a child and loved her melodies as she came and went. As a young girl, I fell in love with her. She was all I could think about. So much so that I quit college and got a job on her as a Purser for a year in 1997. As I grew up and lost contact with those friendships we swore we'd never lose, She never left my heart. I still have one friend, Captain Gabe Chengary who was First Mate under Captain Wagner and then Captain from that year on. I have always said, "that is the only year I'd go back and do again". I go back to Natchez a lot now for my ailing mother and I still listen and hear her calliope. Please, do not stop her siren song.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....708110313/1014
    My wife found this in the Cincinnati Post this morning.

Comment

I sent them feedback including this website address--great article, but didn't mention our website!!
      I would encourage other members to do so too, I used the "feedback" option.
      S'
      David D.

Comment

Hey Margaret!

Hey, Margaret! I believe you had a typo in your posting - it was 1977 you worked on the DQ and here's proof! You may think you are forgotten from those days, but you're wrong. In case you can't place me, think: PLANTERS PUNCH!
        Attached Files

Comment

Great idea David! The word needs to get out about our group.

Originally posted by David Dewey View Post
          I sent them feedback including this website address--great article, but didn't mention our website!!
          I would encourage other members to do so too, I used the "feedback" option.
          S'
          David D.

Comment

who is that cute girl????

Hi Judy! You had me laughing out loud and smiling and almost tearing up too!! Wow, how young we were! Do you keep in touch with any others? I'd love to find Henry Mitchell who even looks young in the picture! Tell me about yourself. I'd love to hear. And by the way, I just called my sons downstairs to see your pic and they laughed uproariously! Mom was never so young!!!

I am married, thus am actually M P Cotten, in Huntsville AL. My husband works for our Botanical Garden. My sons are 19 and 22 and both in college. I held on to the title of stay at home mom as long as I could, until the baby left! I am an artist and writer who hasn't done any art or writing in way too long. I travel back and forth, several weeks here and several in Natchez, helping take care of my mother who has alzheimers. Going down there keeps me happy and my husband appreciates that, so I'm very lucky in that sense. So........my memory isn't very good and being around my mother has me thinking it is worse that it really is........planter's punch wasn't enough for the old card catalog I call my memory. What was your job? I apologize for having to ask. Along with that marvelous pic you sent me, is there one of you? I can tell you I bear no resemblance to that cute girl. I'm at least 2 of her now, hit 50 and wear bi-focals!
            Please write back.
            Magnolia/Margaret
            MPeabodyCotten@aol.com

Comment

You might remember Judy better if you think COOKIES! That was her "job" on the DQ. The DQ couldn't slip through the Upper Mississippi without Judy delivering a crew-sized batch of cookies somewhere up in that neck of the woods, even if it was 3:00am.

Comment

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/steam-...s/message/5950
                I am using my steam whistle and Youtube connections to help spread the message. I believe the Safety at Sea Law is not really applicable to vessels on inland waterways and that the Delta Queen should be granted a SOLAS exemption. I'm encouraging everyone to write their congressmen.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X