No announcement yet.

Majestic America Line about the Delta Queen exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if the Congress were to personally examine the hazards on the Delta Queen during a two-day cruise investigation? There is nothing so good as direct oversight of the problems!

Comment

Captain Alan Bernstein, BB Riverboats, started PVA and remains one of the most influencial persons on the inland waterways. Has anyone contacted him?

Comment

It was actually two others, so it appears we now have at least four senators on our side. I'm keeping Franz up to date on this.

Originally posted by Frank X. Prudent View Post
        I am assuming that you are talking about Messrs. Bunning and McConnell. Both are Republicans from the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and the latter is the Minority Leader of the Senate.

Comment

Great idea. I believe we would want to invite the four senators who said they would support the exemption if it were bought up before inviting anyone else. They could then tell the others of their enjoyable experience themselves. They could attest to the others of its safety. This could put an end to this one senator's attempt to shut down the Delta Queen once and for all.

Originally posted by Alan Bates View Post
          What if the Congress were to personally examine the hazards on the Delta Queen during a two-day cruise investigation? There is nothing so good as direct oversight of the problems!

Comment

I did not say that Bunning and McConnell would vote in favor of the DQ. I said that I assumed that your Senators were the ones you were talking about. I did not mean to imply anything.

Comment

So who are the two unnamed senators? We need a powerful democrat to bend the ear on sen. Inouye. Of course, we need the republicans, too. I have no idea who can influence Sen. Inouye since he's from Hawaii and probably has no sentimentality for anything in mid-America.

With congress currently rated as 14% favorable (86% unfavorable) by a June Gallup poll, the DQ issue could be an easy improvement for them. But first they have to be convinced.

We need to develop an email hit list of politicians who can put pressure on Oberstar and Inouye. People like the mayor of St. Paul (a democrat) and others from Minnesota come to mind for Oberstar. Business leaders need to lend a hand, too. For instance, a lot of passengers going to or from St. Paul no doubt also go to the Mall of America, spend nights in St. Paul hotels and eat in restaurants there. Use the economic impact arguement with those people. Ask them to contact Oberstar about this. Also, copy them on the newspaper articles that support the waiver. I've sent emails to several already and am building my own list of recipients but we could pool the addresses. However, the more who write the better. Mr. Oberstar serves on the Mississippi River Caucus and the Upper Mississippi Task Force so I've e-mailed several officials of those organizations.

Comment

One needs to realize that Sen. Inouye's opposition is most likely tied to the damage done to his state by the shipbuilding fiasco from American Classic Voyages, or whatever the name of that company was. BUT this opposition in no way penalizes them, they are long gone. THe ownership succession and changeover needs to be presented to him.

Comment

The previously unnamed senators are none other than Sherrod Brown and Richard Lugar.

Comment

If only MAL was as interested in saving the DQ as we are - they could provide a few cabins on each cruise (that is not booked full) to members of Congress. Can you imagine ANYONE coming away from that riverboat experience, saying that the DQ was dangerous. I'm sure that in a couple of days, the old girl would work it's charm as she always does, and they'd feel pretty foolish continuing to call her a menace!
                    Last edited by Pat Traynor; 08-12-2007, 03:42 PM. Reason: last part left off

Comment

Great idea, but in today's politicial world, it would be conidered a bribe!
                      Hmmmm. . . . .
                      S
                      David D.
                      Last edited by David Dewey; 08-12-2007, 06:56 PM. Reason: forgot "be", oh bother!

Comment

Originally posted by David Dewey View Post
                        Great idea, but in today's politicial world, it would be conidered a bribe!
                        Hmmmm. . . . .
                        S
                        David D.
                        Well, in the solemn words of Captain Harry Louden, "In America, we have the best damn politicians that money can buy!"

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Weisenberger View Post
                          The previously unnamed senators are none other than Sherrod Brown and Richard Lugar.
                          Sherrod Brown is the freshman Democrat senator from Ohio, and Senator Lugar is the well respected, long time, Republican senator from Indiana.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                          Working...
                          X