Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Herron
    replied
    One has to hope that the DQ has an exclusive following. That is, people who only ride her and do not patronize the other two boats. In that sense, there isn't much competition with the AQ and MQ. The question is, are there enough people in that following to support her?

Of course, as time passes new passengers must be attracted to compensate for those who are no longer available.

Leave a comment:

• Donald Vivier
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank X. Prudent View Post
    With the exemption in pocket, MAL could cut its losses and sell its river and coastal boats to someone that gives a darn. Having the DELTA QUEEN available to operate would make the proposition more atractive to a potential buyer, to my way of thinking, and MAL could wash its bloody hands of the whole mess.
    But they alternative is we get the exemption, then they can dock the DQ for nobody to use. I mean whats the chances of them selling it off to create competition? Its pretty clear that they want to dominate the US cruise market

It just appears that with so much time to go, they just don't care. They are not interested in the DQ. All of us would fight till the final seconds, but MAL has rolled over with over a year to go.

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    With the exemption in pocket, MAL could cut its losses and sell its river and coastal boats to someone that gives a darn. Having the DELTA QUEEN available to operate would make the proposition more atractive to a potential buyer, to my way of thinking, and MAL could wash its bloody hands of the whole mess.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    YES............................................... ....................

Leave a comment:

• Donald Vivier
    replied
    Originally posted by David Dewey View Post
    Donald, it doesn't matter what MAL wants to do with the DQ, without the exemption, NOTHING else can happen, with the exemption, there is always hope. Since they publicly stated that the lack of exemption is the reason to stop running, they would at least lose face now, WHEN we get the exemption passed.
    S'
    David D.
    It just appears odd to me that they would announce this so early. Almost seems like it was an easy way for them to say " we just do not want to operate the DQ anymore"

Now my next question is Can the exemption still happen, even if MAL does not want it?

Leave a comment:

• David Dewey
    replied
    Donald, it doesn't matter what MAL wants to do with the DQ, without the exemption, NOTHING else can happen, with the exemption, there is always hope. Since they publicly stated that the lack of exemption is the reason to stop running, they would at least lose face now, WHEN we get the exemption passed.
    S'
    David D.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Blum
    replied
    ...and they owned a Railroad Passenger Car.....stainless steel 'lightweight' I believe....which was behind/next to the machine shop and visible from River Road.

Leave a comment:

• Donald Vivier
    replied
    As a former employee on the MQ and Cape May I have to ask this. Please do not take offense, but do understand that I do not want to see the DQ out of service.

If MAL just said flat out that they just didn't want to run the DQ after 2008 would it make a difference? Or would everyone still be up in arms?

Im sure MAL is well aware of the following the DQ has. But if they just don't want to run the DQ anymore, what can the government do about it? So we just fight for the DQ till the end, just for MAL to say thank you but we still do not want to run her.

But on the other hand maybe this is a big marketing scheme to get bookings (and people running to congress) for the exemption.

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    replied
    Yessiree, Pete and Louise were beloved mentors to many of us who were on the DQ in the late 1970's and were among the precious people who have kept the DQ rolling on the river for many decades. A whistle salute to them each and every one!

Leave a comment:

• Christina Feilhauer
    replied
    Uncle Pete & Aunt Louise

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
    ...and your aunt Louise went through my wastebasket to see how many packages of M&Ms I had eaten that day! All those names are from 'my time'. Pete and Louise were such a joy to have on the boat, they were the mother and father to many young crew members.
    Thats the impression I've been getting from the posts, and I can easily see them being "Mom and Dad" to a lot of the younger members. I think its very nice that they are remembered that way :)

Christina

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    ...and your aunt Louise went through my wastebasket to see how many packages of M&Ms I had eaten that day! All those names are from 'my time'. Pete and Louise were such a joy to have on the boat, they were the mother and father to many young crew members.

Leave a comment:

• Christina Feilhauer
    replied
    Pete Feilhauer

I guess everyone thinks "their" time was the pinnacle, and I certainly feel that way about the late 1970's on the DQ with Capts. Wagner, Chengery, Davisson, Shelton, Ware, Zimmer, Karnath, etc., etc. and Jerry Critchfield, Al Boulton, Jim Bryeans, Earle Haskell, Bill Kelley and Pete Feilhauer, etc. in the engine room. To many now on this board, of course, these manes mean nothing, and they still have their great memories of the old boat.

Pete Feilhauer was my Uncle, and I know this would be a sad day for him to see the Delta out of commission. It's good that the memories are still very much alive, and will hopefully be passed down to the next generations. God Bless :)

Christina

Leave a comment:

• JC Petersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Marian Nusekabel View Post
    JC
    There is a verifiable source that can be confirmed.
    Marian Nusekabel

No offense-but please provide that source then. Otherwise it's all hearsay, and as the owner of this website stated, no speculation is to be made or he'll get sued.

Is it an online source? Will it be in the Congressional Record?

What's with all the cloaks and daggers here?

You do not seem to accept opinion contrary to your own, but we should accept yours?
    I know I sound harsh, but what you are stating is terribly vague, and we are not fools here.

Leave a comment:

• Marian Nusekabel
    replied
    JC
    There is a verifiable source that can be confirmed.
    Marian Nusekabel

Leave a comment:

• Marian Nusekabel
    replied
    Dear Bruno
    Sorry, I was not lecturing anyone about not caring about the DQ.
    My husband and I have been steamboating since 1992 and are about to venture on our 35th cruise. We have many fond memories steamboatin on the DQ also. We have had many great very special times just to name a few, with Phyllis Dale, Capt. Gabe, his wife Cindy, Dave & Kathy Para with our impromptu get-togethers for a little down home river music in the Betty Blake Lounge. Bob, Jazzou as well as the crew. Yes we have a fond place in our hearts for the "Grand" Lady. We love "all" the steamboats and her Captains that have made our cruises so special. Hope the DQ can stay floating and you do attain your goal of retiring contentment rocking away on her decks. Yes, she is the "Diamond"
    We are diehard steamboaters and will always be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marian Nusekabel

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X