Natchez UTH Saloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natchez UTH Saloon

The Natchez-Under-the-Hill Saloon recently reprinted a blog entry, of YT's, Incident at Natchez-Under-the-Hill, from Dot.org on their website, with links. Nice to know there are things seen and appreciated. The UTH bar has been a favorite of generations of DQSCo steamboat crew members since Mr. Andre Farish, Sr. restored the ancient ramshackle building on Silver Street, in every steamboater’s spiritual hometown, Natchez, Mississippi, and made it into one of the most beloved watering holes on the Mississippi River. Why, John Hartford even gave an impromptu concert there, in 1978, for Miss Mary Peabody, celebrated DELTA QUEEN Purser, and her Natchez homies.

http://www.underthehillsaloon.com/cu...nt=News&id=106

Natchez Under the Hill is always a "must" when visiting that gem of a town on the bluffs of the Mississippi. I always make a stop at the saloon and take a gander at the riverboat memorabilia adorning the walls, plus the steamboat models built by the late Capt. Howard Tate, long a pilot on the DQ. Incidentally, those encased models survived when the bluff caved in on the saloon in 1980, killing a young woman who worked there. Indeed, John Hartford put on a fine show there in 1978 for DQ purser/Natchez native Margaret Peadbody & friends - and I'm glad I was there for it. The river was HIGH on that spring trip and I remember the DQ stage was lowered onto Silver Street, practically at the door of the saloon! The Under the Hill Saloon has a website and they sell souvenirs too! I do LOVE Natchez!!!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
    Working...
    X