No announcement yet.

Kites not steamboats but interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is one tidy packet boat, wish some like her would have survived. Thanks for sharing!
    S'
    David D.

Comment

She is kinda spare and nifty, isn't she, David? She was narrow, had no deck all the way around her so that you had to walk through the cabin to get from the stern to the bow, and the amount of water she could run on was measured in inches, a necessity on the Big Sandy which could get mightly low indeed and has many shoals. This picture may have been taken by my grandfather. He always recorded his boats. He would have been 27 at the time this picture was taken in 1903.

Comment

If I wuz a millionaire, I'd like something just like her as a "houseboat" to cruise the rivers. Heck, If I was a millionaire, I'd probably be looking at the DQ--no wait, I'd need to be a billionaire!
        Story is told of a riverboat owner who just won the lottery. "Whatcha gonna do now?"
        "Hmm, suppose I'll just keep riverboatin' 'till the money runs out!"

Comment

Thank you Lil for the photo and for saying that I'm a "young oldtimer"! But, as Mammy said in "Gone With the Wind", "I gots the misery in my hip" (and other places!) and I certainly feel like a full fledged OLDtimer!

I've always loved that photo of Aunt Telia at the calliope of the CRICKET, and I well recall how thrilled I was when your grandpa was aboard the BELLE and complimented me on my calliope playing. He told me about playing the calliope on the CRICKET -- up there in the hills where the Hatfields and McCoys feuded! Capt. Jesse said he sometimes wondered if somebody might take a shot at him as he played! Reminds me of that old story about the man and his son watching a boat from a river bluff. The calliope was being played and suddenly the man lifted his gun and took a shot at the steaming instrument, whose player quickly fled from the roof in terror. The son asked, "Didja get it Pa?" to which the man replied, "No, but I made that thing let go of that man!"

Indeed, I was so VERY lucky, fortunate and PRIVILEGED to have known so many of the real "oldtimers" who truly knew steamboating from way back. God bless them one and all!

Comment

What a great story! My dogs think I'm nuts because I was laughing out loud after reading that.

I too love that picture of Grandma at the calliope on the CRICKET. I would post it except for the fact that, somehow or other, I don't have a copy of it. Do you?

Comment

Aunt Telia at CRICKET's calliope

Is this the one you mean, Lil? That nasty four letter word w-o-r-k probably kept Keith from responding, so here it is from a retiree with nothing but time on her hands!!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Gadzooks! I should have known that either you or Keith -- and probably both -- would have it at hand! Thanks! The original is in Grandpa's scrapbook under Mom's bed in Ft. Walton Beach.

Grandpa took this picture of Grandma while the boat was tied up a half block from their house in Catlettsburg, before the town built a most offensive flood wall that separated the houses from the river.

Comment

Wowziers!! What a great photo! I would love to have a high res copy so I can look at the mechanism. Noticed the whistles appear to be only about 1/3 mouth design. Veedry Interestink!
                  S'
                  David D.

Comment

Elaine,
                    I was at my Folks for Easter, and was able to look at the video on their high speed connection. WOWZIERS!!! That guy is amazing!
                    Thanks for posting it.
                    S'
                    David D.

Comment

I think that idea is becoming "the usual" nowadays! Perhaps MAL will get the message! :)
                      Have a great time!
                      S'
                      David "Kite Man" Dewey
                      PS who usually does a "Charlie Brown" with his kites.

Comment

Thanks Judy! That photo is in the booklet about the history of Greene Line, issued in 1965, researched by Richard Stewart, but published under the name of Betty Blake Simcox. One of those RARE little booklets is currently on EBAY, as are some other vintage DQ souvenir items.

In the photo of Aunt Telia Hughes at the CRICKET calliope, those things behind her are wooden life floats, in case anyone is wondering.

Comment

That calliope was put on the CRICKET when she towed the "Great American Water Circus," but that famous photo was not taken of the calliope when it was on the CRICKET. The photo was taken after the "CRICKET's voice" was hauled over to the GREENLAND to serenade the passengers on their journey to the St. Louis World's Fair during 1904.

Comment

Yup- nothing like my own attempts at flying a kite. : ) I do kamakaze kites.

My son-in-law commented to me that with his tan, flying kites must be all he does in his retirement.

But I am fascinated by how this thread got sidetracked and those nifty photos that Judy posted and Lil's comments about the good ol' days. Wow! :)

I still say that I need to print out the various pages from this web site, tape them together, and make a bunch of kites for the DQ. I could put them in a tube and mail them to the boats with a separate package for string and kite assembly instructions. If I was retired, maybe I would do that but I am working 2 jobs these days and just can't. No kite flying for me.

But I am glad that you got to see the video David!

Cheers
                            Elaine

Comment

Kite flying origins

Actually, I began the kite flying aboard the SS FRANCE. I had worked for several cruise lines before Betty Blake tricked me into working for Greene Line.Betty had called the Bramson Agency in New York looking for an experienced Cruise Director and got my number.* She called me when I was in Marietta on vacation visiting my family. I said NO! I explained that I had grown up with the river in my home every spring and did not want to work on that "old boat"! She then insisted my parents and I take a short cruise and I fell in love with the passengers.* What a great group! I never went back to sea.* Betty had really tricked me though as the cruise was THE DERBY CRUISE!* The first cruise I worked on was the Kentucky Lake cruise when we tore the paddlewheel off!* Betty had to pay my agent a finders fee as he had insisted I bring in his cruise ship entertainers and I knew then (as now) that that doesn't work on the boats!* Years later Betty paid me the ultimate compliment when Bodine was saying that his expertise saved the MQ and Betty said "Without Mariam and the Tookers there would not be a Delta Queen Steamboat Co." Much of these memories came back lately as I've been going through my "stuff".*Is there anyone out there close to Thousand Oaks, CA? If so let me know.**

Comment

I don't live near Thousand Oaks - I'm still in Rock Island Illinois, where I lived when I took my first DQ trip Aug. 20, 1973 with you and the Tookers aboard. Good to see your posting! There are a few of us on here who were from your DQ time or even earlier. I found a picture from my first trip but couldn't get it posted - it's during Captain's Dinner. You are standing on the stage behind 4 passengers. They aren't receiving Vox Calliopus awards nor are they doing the Saga of Little Nell. I recall a bit where you had passengers sing "When You Wore a Tulip". Could that have been what was happening?

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                                Working...
                                X