2007 season of DQSC announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 season of DQSC announced

Here´s a press information by DQSC regarding the 2007 season. There are some prices mentioned which obviously are the new seasonal prices. There aren´t any detailed prices on the DQSC website yet.

http://www.modernagent.com/x/moderna...al.cds?n=13844

http://www.deltaqueen.com/news/article.php?pr_id=1060

Carmen

DQ people have told me that they don't expect to have the new prices on the Web site until Mid July.

Comment

I got the schedule and prices in a mailing from DQ today.

Comment

Kids on Cruises

I have heard a lot about kids on the Riverventures cruises. Riverventures isn't on the schedule for 2007. How many kids could you expect to see on a cruise before Riverventures were offered, or on more recent non Riverventures cruises?

Comment

A very brief history

Judy can give a lot more info than me along with people like Kathleen Cade but here's how I viewed things.

Kids on cruises were always a bit unusual due in part to how expensive the trips are and the markey of who buys the cruises. When Delaware North took over, many of the top executives came aboard with their families (generations) and it turned out to be the best time ever for both young and old. Family bonding and simple pleasures made it a great family vacation- perhaps better than Disney where the focus can be seperated by age categories. So, DN decided to try some programs targeting families and offering board games and Riverventures.

Since the boats now have another owner in AI- perhaps it will take their executives bringing the whole family to renew the program. Or, perhaps, the program was not lucrative enough since families with children are usually on tigher budgets than people who don't have dependents.

As to actual numbers, I don't know. I do know that all of the children I did meet on board were among my favorites passengers. It had nothing to do with money since they might not tip extra or even have their folks realize how much entertainment I provided and tip extra. Simply put, the youngsters were interesting and interested in their adventures on the boats.

Comment

Bruce,

I´d say that depends on the cruise and on the time of the year the cruise is scheduled. I think on Leonie´s first cruise aboard the DQ she was the only kid. On the second cruise there was a family with two small kids and a teenager (DQ). I can´t remember if there was another kid on her third cruise (DQ Upper Mississippi river). NO. 4-6 were all on the MQ and all cruises had the Riverventures program then. No. 4 was a NOLA roundtrip on Thanksgiving, the program was at it beginnings and only a handful of kids participated. No. 5 was the Great Steamboat Race and because of the lenght of this cruise it was only a small crowd of kids (5 or 6). This year (Upper Mississippi) we had about 10 - 15 kids (one did the Great Steamboat Race and the UMR). I think on a boat like the MQ or AQ which is able to carry up to 400 passengers a crowd up to 30 kids does not disturb other passengers very much. The program did attract more families. It changed every year. In the first year it was only couple of activities. Most of the announced stuff never happened (like milk and cookies, free board games). In the second year it worked out well. The movie theatre was turned into a part time club house. The cruises even included free shore tours for families (3 on the Great Steamboat Race). This year activites have been cut down again (no free shore tours, no free board games, no milk & cookies). Club house was the library but there were still a lot of daily activities for the kids (arts & crafts, pool party, games, movies, cub pilot license). The program was only available on certain cruises now (summer school holidays, Thanksgiving).

I thought it was a great idea. Sure it´s not a program like on an ocean cruise ship where you have lots of space. But with those limitations you find on steamboats it´s been really good. Kids were kept out of the way of the adults. The kids did have lots of fun. Parents were able to enjoy some hours without kids.

Carmen

Comment

Thanks,

We are thinking about telling our kids (they will be 14 and 17 by that time) that they can not bring games that take batteries. I am thinking about bringing things like Cribbage, Checkers, Chess, Acey Ducey, Scrabble, etc.

Their attitude about the trip is "great, I have to spend 5 days with over four hundred people that were ready to retire when I was born". One of the stops on the trip is a town that is full of family history (the understatement of the century) but that is only one full day stop.

The older one plays brass and the younger one plays piano and percussion. (both love Jazz). We know they will have a good time, but we would like to get them excited about the trip without making promises we can't keep.

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Call up your reservationist with the list of your family's favorite games. The company will have them on board or arrange to get them.

I would even try to contact here the anticipated cruise director about the kid's musical interests. No promises but contact the cruise director just the same for suggestions.

Also 14 and 17 are ages that like to be know it alls- how about creating your own steamboat trivia? Or asking the kids to do this as project before hand using this site and others.

From a bartenders perspective- remember that the bars have blenders and at the callioppe bar on the MQ is softserve ice cream, if they want milk shakes, virgin strawberry daquiries, be sure to let the bartender know because they might have to get the supplies since these requests are not as common.

I do agree that there will be times they may get a bit tired about the other guests not being their age but if they are charming enough themselves, the crew will enjoy the difference. Let's face it- teens are given a hard time where-ever they go. At least on a steamboat, they are truly a breath of fresh air.

Good luck : )

Comment

Bruce,

There´s a variety of board games available in the library. Cribbage, Checkers, Chess are in the library and others too. Unfortunately I have to confess there´s a tiny TV and some play consoles (don´t ask me if it´s a Sony Playstation or whatever) and games in the library of the MQ too. They used to have that in the movie theatre last year and kids were only able to play when the youth councellors were present. Now they can play whenever they want.

They even had some Lego and Barbie dolls in the library but I assume that´s more for my 6 years old daughter than for your kids :-).

Carmen

Comment

Great suggestions, thanks!!

We are booked on the AQ in the summer, so it will be interesting to discover what is available. Is it correct to assume that some of what you are suggesting needs to wait until after the March 9 departure from NOLA? I don't think they will know much about what is and is not available until then.

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Yes, it´ll be better to wait until next year when the AQ is cruising again. Maybe Phil Westbrook will be back again as cruise director on the AQ. I remember seeing board games, Chess, Checkers and jigsaw puzzles on the AQ too.

Carmen

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                      Working...
                      X