X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R. Dale Flick
    replied
    Steamboating colleagues,
    Judy, I totally agree with you above RE: "winner was predetermined" etc. The excitement of the early years [1963] on with the races brought a lot of attention not only to the boats but to Louisville and the Kentucky Derby in national and international eyes. After a few years, as mentioned, it was all a gradual down hill process. Then somebody saw big money in steamboat race tickets with drinks etc. Nothing wrong with that, mind us, as these events cost money. Then other races staged in St. Louis, New Orleans etc. Somebody commented, "The steamboat races could have succeeded later if Betty Blake hadn't passed away." Ummmm, I doubt that as she sensed she'd worn out the theme and concept. Betty took a lot of deserved credit but she didn't do it all alone by a long shot. 'Nuff said here.

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    I personally lost interest when it became so obvious that the winner was predetermined. That might have been so in early years, but it wasn't so obvious.

Leave a comment:

• R. Dale Flick
    replied
    Hi, Bob!
    Thanks for correcting me with AMERICAN DUCHESS NOT owned by ACL. DUH! on my part. The lack of interest in the big Kentucky Derby week events and then real steamboat races began to slack off well, well before the DELTA QUEEN was laid up. Locals, and the media, here took the "Ho hum" approach after several years. I noted smaller crowds in Louisville for the race. Big focus then was more on the DQ's first arrival here in Cincinnati for the season following the Louisville race. In years before that the DQ came 'home' here first for the famed 'Derby Day Weekend Cruise' so popular. Even Betty Blake knew she'd pushed the envelope a bit too far with it losing interest, need for new approach and freshening up. And again there's always been that 'friendly rivalry' between Cincinnati and Louisville going way, way back in history to even the early plans for the Louisville Portland Canal at the old falls of the Ohio. Sorry to say, but this week it didn't even come to mind for me about the race. Time was years ago we all were excited over it. I wish the AMERICAN DUCHESS well along with her sisters. No doubt some here on this site will be booking trips aboard her.

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Reynolds
    replied
    Dale and Judy: yes, sad about the lack of press coverage in Cincy, but I guess folks “move on” to other things. With no connection to Cincinnati, I guess the press doesn’t feel as if the race merits attention from Cincinnati news outlets.

By the way, Dale, as unattractive as many of us feel the AMERICAN DUCHESS is, she is owned and operated by the American Queen Steamboat Co., not ACL.

Leave a comment:

• R. Dale Flick
    replied
    Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
    Thanks, Judy, for the update above RE: 'Derby boat race,' boats involved etc. in Louisville. Interesting that not one word mentioned on the event even before or after here in the Cincinnati print press or TV media. All of that coverage dropped totally off some years ago now even before DELTA QUEEN ceased running. Also interesting that ACL's AMERICAN DUCHESS was a participant. I know ACL is high on a number of 'hate lists' but you can't deny what they are doing. At least the tradition is being preserved.

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    started a topic Derby boat race

Derby boat race

Can't call it the steamboat race, but it happened yesterday in Louisville with the one steamboat BELLE OF LOUISVILLE, and two diesels the BELLE OF CINCINNATI and the first-tiime entrant the overnight AMERICAN DUCHESS. The AD won.
ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X