new paddlewheeler cruise ship on the river Elbe in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new paddlewheeler cruise ship on the river Elbe in Germany

thought you might be interested in this, though it's far away in Europe, precisely on the river Elbe in Germany:

The French cruise line CroisiEurope has christened her newest river cruise ship, the Elbe Princesse II, which is pretty unique as it is propelled by two paddlewheels at the stern. I've been cruising with her last week for a few days (see https://www.cruisetricks.de/mit-der-...-nach-dresden/, though in German only), took a lot of pictures and talked to the pilot and chief engineer.

Each of the paddleweels is powered by a diesel engine which is directly connected to the paddlewheel through a driving rod (hope this is the correct term for it). There is a sister boat, the Elbe Princesse, where they used hydraulic pumps to propel the paddlewheel but found that there is too much maintenance and the hydraulic pumps are too expensive when they need replacement. So for the second boat they changed to the new system.

The boat doesn't have rudders but is beeing steered through a set of pump jets. In addition it has a bow thruster for maneuverability when docking.

The system has been developed by the STX ship yard in France in cooperation with engineers from the cruise line itself.

There is an image gallery of the boat, paddlewheels, pilot house and engine room here: https://www.cruisetricks.de/bilder/f...sse-II/Schiff/

and a video of the paddlewheels in action here: https://vimeo.com/264229546
    Attached Files

re: more data, please

Thanks for the info. Interesting. What are her dimensions, passenger capacity, etc.? I get the feeling it would handle well on the narrower European rivers but wonder where the practical limits are for this design and power plant to safely operate in more open waters?

By our standards it looks like a powered barge rather than a boat?

Thanks, Franz, for all you do for our community.

Russ

Comment

Well, its different!

Kind of reminds me of the jet boats in the swamps. I see her profile is the same as the regular boats: long, low, and narrow. How was the vibration?

Comment

*RE: River Elbe cruise boat*
        Morning, steamboating colleagues:
        Yes, I agree with Russ not only in thanking you, Franz, for your posting but for the photos. Fascinating new boat and design based in an old concept. No doubt modern diesel will be more efficient and economical. I don't demean any of these new European cruise river vessels having seen and toured them while in Europe. Modern designs, building of more river cruise vessels here hopefully will get away from the on-going pattern with phony paddlewheels, false stacks. Just look at how Jim Burns had the DELTA QUEEN/DELTA KING designed in the 1920s with them breaking away from the old style. Keep us posted and happy you were able to cruise on the above.

R. Dale Flick
        Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

it has 45 cabins, max. 90 passengers. 31 crew.

drough is just 31.5 inch. the boat is 333 feet long and 35 feet wide.

it is indeed a boat, though of course the style is very different. it's powered by four Volvo diesel engines type D13 - 400 MH.

the boat is designed to only operate on the river Elbe, so it will never hit more open waters. the size is limited because she's designed to pass the very small locks on the Havel canal and the river Vltava so she can run directly from Berlin to Prague -- while other cruise lines such as Viking are bussing their passengers from Berlin to Magdeburg on the Elbe and from Melnik to Prague in the Czech Republic (but still calling the cruise "Berlin to Prague" ...).

Franz

Comment

Judy, the vibration feels very much like on the Delta Queen; it brought wonderful memories back for me as soon as she was under her way. I just closed my eyes and imagined being back on the DQ :-)

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
            Working...
            X