Hunt for a bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Bob's direct experience & Insights*
    Thanks, Bob for your own direct and personal/professional insights and information. That's why I asked hoping you'd respond. Those lower Mississippi trips, as you say, a far cry from what the old GL did for years back to the GORDON C. GREENE and later the DQ. Also, as you state, about longer revenue $$ season, proximity to yards for work etc. Yep, Betty really got burned on the plan to bring the boat out of layup dead of winter down there for the big Superbowl that year. Everybody--or nearly so--home and not around. Betty had to phone, fly Cal Benefel and others down ASAP to "...turn the boat on...get her up and running." Even Betty had to laugh when the high honchos "...took me by the arm, led me down the deck for a private talk."

Betty, and others, used to always say here, "I could make money on the great seven day round trips [Kentucky Lake etc.] or run the boat on a four day schedule Monday PM to Thursday AM and then the shorter weekend trip." Those seven day Kentucky Lake R/Ts did make money with, I think, about ten or more trips a season. You were there as was Jim Reising. Thanks! Again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

My wife and I made two trips on the DQ. The first was a four day round trip from Cincinnati via Louisville and the Ox Bow Bend area back to Madison and Cincinnati. Captain Harry groused about the prettiest stretches of river being run in the dark.

The second was a seven day Cincinnati via Louisville and Cave in Rock to Kentucky Lake then into St Louis. We flew back into Cincinnati to pick up our car left at a great aunt's home for the week.

Both trips made wonderful memories. I still have the river chart books purchased from the USCE used to follow our journeys as we watched to world flow by from my perch on the top deck by the searchlight.

Keep your steam up!

Russ Ryle

Comment

New Years in 1974

Bob, you were probably on it too... My third DQ trip was over New Years 1974-75. It was a NOLA round trip and I think it went to Natchez and lasted 5 days, but not sure. That was the first New Years trip that the DQ did, at least in the 'modern' era, and probably ever. She laid up on our return until April, I think. I do remember a picture I took on the Houmas House grounds of Capt. Wagner on that little motor scooter though. I also remember sitting in my doorway of 338 watching the city approach late at night, trying to stay warm. That was my first experience with NOLA, so when I saw the buildings, I mistakenly assumed we were a few minutes away. Little did I know about the multiple bends in the river and that what was maybe 3 miles by land was 12 or more on the river!!!

Comment

*Missing the Ox Bow Bends*
          Steamboating colleagues:
          Russ and Judy right on RE: DQ cruises in the past with passengers missing the very scenic Ox Bow Bends. Passengers [Those in the know] have complained about this for years. Sorry to say, but trips under the old GREENE LINE managment DID on a number of trips include the Ox Bows during day light, but the new managment didn't. Granted there were exeptions on trips but the set steaming schedule for the boat had to be met. That section of the Ohio spectacular, one of many scenic areas here. Bob Reynolds, Jim Reising and others may know the reason why the Ox Bows were so often missed due to steaming at night. What do I know?

R. Dale Flick
          Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
          Working...
          X