It Shouldn't Happen to a Yellow Dog!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Shouldn't Happen to a Yellow Dog!

A passenger currently on the AMERICAN QUEEN posted on Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic that the boat will not be able to maintain its published schedule to be in Chattanooga on Saturday. The reason given onboard is that one of the TVA locks is down. The boat is to return to Clarksville,TN. for turnover next Saturday, and from there she will head to Memphis.

The AQ does seem to be "snake bit". However, the TVA lock that is down is Chickamauga, which is ABOVE Chattanooga. That lock is down for at least 3 weeks; it should have been replaced years ago. In any case, the AQ wouldn't fit in that 360' x 60' lock at Chickamauga.

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

Isn't that interesting? I thought things rather strange when I checked the TVA web-site before I first posted here and saw no other lock being closed at this time. Why then is not the AQ going to Chattanooga, and why is the AQ saying it's a lock closure that is keeping them away?

Comment

Dagmar posted on FB that the Wheeler lock is the problem. Travis answered that this is known for a month now.

Carmen

Comment

Thanks for clearing up this confusion. Steamboatin' is always an adventure. It also sounds like our Tennessee River Locks need some attention. A fact obviously not unknown to those connected to the river. Tennessee--We need to get our act together!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmen View Post
            Dagmar posted on FB that the Wheeler lock is the problem. Travis answered that this is known for a month now.

Carmen
            What's going on at Wheeler L&D? I didn't see anything about Wheeler being down on the TVA website when I looked last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Guillaum View Post
              TIt also sounds like our Tennessee River Locks need some attention. A fact obviously not unknown to those connected to the river. Tennessee--We need to get our act together!
              The whole Mississippi River System needs to have all of its navigation improvements looked at long and hard. How many lock closures this year have been the result of delayed maintenance? When will Olmstead finally be completed? What about keeping the channel dredged and open? And there are many other issues that I'm sure will arise over the next few years. America can not survive as a superpower if our infrastructure continues to deteriorate.

Comment

Frank, you are right about all of our infrastructure in this country.

In researching this, I do see that Wheeler main lock (600'x110') is closed for maintenance from Oct 21 thru Nov 13. The auxiliary lock is available here, but ay only 400'x60' is too small for the AQ.

Possibly the reason you saw nothing on the TVA site is that though TVA built and operates the dams and operates the Tennessee River basin as a comprehensive system, the Corps of Engineers operates the locks and is responsible for their maintenance.

Ted, none of this has anything to do with the State of Tennessee -- the Tennessee River is a federal waterway; in fact, Tennessee Congressmen and Senators have pushed for years to get Chickamauga completed/funded. The problem lies in Washington (and everyone is surprised......NOT).

Comment

Upcoming lock closures are always listed well in advance in The Waterways Journal. That's why the magazine, published weekly since 1887, is known as "The Rivermen's Bible".

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X