Am. Queen in Nashville?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am. Queen in Nashville?

Looking at the Am. Queen Schedule she is coming to Nashville this weekend for the first time ever! Surprise to me because I had always heard that she could not fit the Cumberland River. The web site schedule is a bit confusing as to which day she will actually be here. Day 1 Itinery says Hotel stay. Day 2 says Depart Nashville at 6:00 P.M. So I am wondeering if she will arrive Saturday morning and leave Saturday evening. Anyone I know going to be on board? Sadly, I have to work from 8:00-4:30 Saturday. I hope she makes it all the way to Nashville.

Yes, there are folks onboard that you probably know. And, God willing, she should be in Nashville on Saturday.

Comment

schedule

If things work to plan, we should arrive sometime very early Saturday morning. The rest of the day is for crew changeout, restocking, and boarding of new passengers. Not sure of exact departure time, but usually this is not before 5 pm. So, you might see it in late daylight departing on Saturday.

Comment

Nashville Riverfront

Thanks Richard. I think the advertised time for departure in the brochure on the web says 6:00 but things like that often change. I am interested in seeing the AQ on the Nashville waterfront. It will certainly fill the entire waterfront area. This has to be the largest boat to dock at our riverfront. I certainly hope she makes it all the way because I have told a lot of friends about it. In past years a major problem for the DQ was the railroad bridge at Clarksville getting stuck. I hope they have it all greased up for the AQ.

Comment

we almost didn't make it out of Clarksville

Well,

We departed the Clarksville dock about ontime just after 5 pm, only to wait at the old L&N swing bridge for an hour, then backed back to the dock. Bridge would not open. We finally got the go-ahead about 9:30 pm, bridge workers were still on the open span as we glided through in the dark. Should be about 7 hours to Nashville, so look for us in the early AM.

Comment

No American Queen at Nashville Riverfront at 7:30 this morning when I came to work. Glad she got past the old RR bridge it Clarksville.

Comment

AQ Arrived in Nashville

The AQ has arrived in Nashville and is peacefully docked at Riverfront Park. ALL OF RIVERFRONT PARK! It is an amazing sight to see. I got a quick look at her during my lunch and hope to return to see her off this evening. I suspect she will have to travel up river like the MQ use to do to be able to turn around. That should be an interesting maneuver. Perhaps we will get luck enough for a calliope concert upon departure.

Comment

The Size Of The AQ

The AQ is very large, and being her first time in Nashville (right?), she's probably an interesting spectacle. How does she fit? Has she drawn a crowd? I too wonder how she will get out of that narrow passage around Nashville, as she also has a VERY narrow margin getting out in places like Red Wing, and etc., too.
                ML

Comment

I got a brief view from across the river on my way to lunch. Not many people know this vantage pont on the Titan's Football Stadium property. However I met one other local resident who was very interested and had a lot of questions. I am sure there are many tourists viewing her on the other side and asking questions where she is docked since it is in the heart of the tourist area. I am sure many are asking questions such as "can we go for an afternoon cruise?" Most people seem to have no idea that this is an overnight cruise boat on 7-9 day trips. I posted a photo on my Facebook page that I took over the construction fence. They are building some sort of landing for the Titan's across from where the AQ is docked. This is restricting the width of the river somewhat because of floating anti-pollution devices.

Comment

AQ Delayed In Nashville

I went down to the AQ after work and found out that they do not know when they will be able to leave. The best guess is tomorrow, Sunday. Of course no one was very forthcoming with information but there were 2 machine shop welding trucks from Nashville at the stern and workers going in and out of the Engine Room. There was also a crew in a work boat.

Comment

Money

You know what that means! Bad news, as that's gonna be some money out of AQSC's pocket if it's a major malfunction. Let's hope not.
                      Happy Travels,
                      ML

Comment

I looked on your Facebook page but didn't see it. Friend request sent by Patti Ence....

Comment

Primary reason for delay is likely.....

During the upriver trip between Clarksville and Nashville about 5:15 am we hit some trees along the bank on the port side. It broke a lot of branches and deposited tree limbs on the 3rd level walkway, and broke at least one window out of a rear stateroom, bent some ornate railings, etc. I stress that there was a lot more noise from branches than what we saw in damage. Most damage was green marks from leaves along port side posts and railings.

From what we knew there was no damage to the boat structure, just some what appeared to be minor scrapes. My guess is they are bending some iron back. As this was happening we also felt a bump, so we probably also hit some bottom or side of the channel, again nothing seemed severe. It was on a very tight S bend in the river about 4 hours out of Nashville.

Another day of riverboating, noting to get worked up about other than it seems to have delayed their return departure.

Comment

Judy,

I "suggested" you as a friend to Ted (who has to accept you).

Dagmar Schmidt Etkin posted on FB "Delayed after grounding and hoping to leave soon after hull damage repaired on the American Queen".

Carmen

Comment

Update on reason...

About 1 pm Sunday we spoke with some crew and they indicated that yes, there was a small hole in the hull that needed repairing. Yes due to the incident early Saturday morning. According to crew, repair was made and has been approved by a Coast Guard inspector. AQ was scheduled to depart at 3 PM Sunday, we had to leave early so missed the departure.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X